User Tag List

Page 124 of 130 FirstFirst ... 24 74 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 LastLast
Results 2,092 to 2,108 of 2202
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msitpro View Post
    Completely agree with this.

Seem to go for the unreturnable shot every time, drives, smashes etc. from watching your latest video j4ckie. (trying to emulate Ahsan/Setiawan?!)

Should probably play more drops, pushes and soft shots, shots that will put you in a better position to play the winning shot.
    So, what you're saying is that -basically- I should play more patiently? I totally agree with you on that - the last match shows quite clearly what can happen when I get impatient :S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im amused by your shot at 3.30

your opponent genuinely stops playing and takes the point in the middle of the rallye

definitely very tough to see but how can he just stop and grab the ball/point lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Yonex Lithuania Open 2014:

Singles:
    http://www.badminton.lt/index.php?m=...zid=0&viid=685

Comments: way too many cheap points given away - trying to play too tight at the net

ps. my opponent has an 'unfortunate' name

Doubles:
    http://www.badminton.lt/index.php?m=...zid=0&viid=705

Comments: Played well when disciplined and varying the attack (slow and fast pace)
    Obviously this is your first international tournament so it's alright to be nervous/apprehensive etc and that shows a bit in your game with the amount of unforced errors. I've watched some of the video and I've just got a few points that I'd like to make.

Firstly. The amount of unforced errors you make. You start off with a flick serve that's out which you could put down to nerves. At 0:48, you back off the net anticipating the lift, but your opponent noticed this and opened his racket face. Your momentum is going backwards so you don't have a chance of picking up the return.

Next rally, you're indecisive as to whether to play the shuttle (I think) and you've let it fall too low.

The next couple of rallies are all based around making unforced errors as far as I can tell. You need to apply more pressure to you opponent cause when you do this, it's him that makes the error.

At 2:08, the exact same thing happens as at 0:48 except you get lucky and your opponent makes the error.

The following rally, you slip trying to retrieve a net shot, I think possibly you were a bit slow returning to base, which might have had something to do with it. Still pretty impressive net shot all things considered.

At 3:45, there is a good rally. You defend well, and then force your opponent on the defence with a good net shot.

But then the following rally, you see into the net.

So, I think potentially you could have got closer to (maybe not beating) but challenging your opponent more. But there are a number of unforced errors which need to be addressed before your next tournament. Losing the point and actually being under pressure is alright, but I think you lost 8 points in the first 11 out of just unforced errors.

Return of service as well like already mentioned is perhaps too passive. Occasionally maybe you should have stepped in and taken a risk and put him under a bit more pressure.

The one thing that sets BWF tournaments apart from BE Bronze Events, is that the players in BWF tournaments are incredibly consistent. They can play a 15-20 shot rally and still find the ability to hit a winner right onto the line. Something you won't really get a Bronze level.

Still keep at it, if you can wipe the consistency errors and be more aggressive then you'll find yourself performing much better as you'll be challenging your opponent.

Good luck in your next event international tournament

On a side note, venue doesn't look that great, is that natural light coming through the roof? And the flooring also looks dodgy (underneath) all the events I've attended have had suitable flooring/lighting.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OhSearsTower View Post

your opponent genuinely stops playing and takes the point in the middle of the rallye

definitely very tough to see but how can he just stop and grab the ball/point lol
    which video are you referring to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the most recent posted one by jackyx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

msitpro: Do you plan to play more international tornaments? What's your goal? How old are you?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the most recent posted one by jackyx
    oh, then I'm confused by your reaction. what else is he meant to do?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well at the time I wasn't quite sure, but watching it again and again I'm certain the shuttle went over. I'll remind him of that next time I see him Very rare for me to play those shots in the net, so maybe I should have insisted on at least repeating the rally.....ah well. Worked out in the end, so I'm not gonna complain too much about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    oh, then I'm confused by your reaction. what else is he meant to do?
    ???
    j4ckies opponent stopped an ongoing rallye and took the point when there was no reason for it

this and his way of doing it (very confidently while being wrong) is funny to me

i dont know why you are confused

its also funny that it was caught on video so we can actually see that he was wrong
    Last edited by OhSearsTower; 07-08-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not the easiest thing to see when there is only string over the tram lines. If he genuinely thought it went under then he has to stop then. If j4ckie & partner disagree with his call then they need to play a let (or consult hawkeye...).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its very irritating when you think it went under, so I'm not gonna criticize him for stopping the rally. That he was so confidently claiming it was definitely under is the reason I'll rub his nose in it

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What happened to your net? Shrunk in the washer and dryer?

But yeah, it was over.
    Last edited by visor; 07-08-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Obviously this is your first international tournament so it's alright to be nervous/apprehensive etc and that shows a bit in your game with the amount of unforced errors. I've watched some of the video and I've just got a few points that I'd like to make.

Firstly. The amount of unforced errors you make. You start off with a flick serve that's out which you could put down to nerves. At 0:48, you back off the net anticipating the lift, but your opponent noticed this and opened his racket face. Your momentum is going backwards so you don't have a chance of picking up the return.

Next rally, you're indecisive as to whether to play the shuttle (I think) and you've let it fall too low.

The next couple of rallies are all based around making unforced errors as far as I can tell. You need to apply more pressure to you opponent cause when you do this, it's him that makes the error.

At 2:08, the exact same thing happens as at 0:48 except you get lucky and your opponent makes the error.

The following rally, you slip trying to retrieve a net shot, I think possibly you were a bit slow returning to base, which might have had something to do with it. Still pretty impressive net shot all things considered.

At 3:45, there is a good rally. You defend well, and then force your opponent on the defence with a good net shot.

But then the following rally, you see into the net.

So, I think potentially you could have got closer to (maybe not beating) but challenging your opponent more. But there are a number of unforced errors which need to be addressed before your next tournament. Losing the point and actually being under pressure is alright, but I think you lost 8 points in the first 11 out of just unforced errors.

Return of service as well like already mentioned is perhaps too passive. Occasionally maybe you should have stepped in and taken a risk and put him under a bit more pressure.

The one thing that sets BWF tournaments apart from BE Bronze Events, is that the players in BWF tournaments are incredibly consistent. They can play a 15-20 shot rally and still find the ability to hit a winner right onto the line. Something you won't really get a Bronze level.

Still keep at it, if you can wipe the consistency errors and be more aggressive then you'll find yourself performing much better as you'll be challenging your opponent.

Good luck in your next event international tournament

On a side note, venue doesn't look that great, is that natural light coming through the roof? And the flooring also looks dodgy (underneath) all the events I've attended have had suitable flooring/lighting.
    Completely agree, was a very bad match from an errors point of view... usually guys on the English circuit may refer to me as a 'runner' - consistent if unspectacular - I am trying to change that and be more aggressive and improve shot-making to get to the next level...

I think I made an error on service 4-5 times in the match which is completely unacceptable!!

I wasn't in the best of shape leading into the tournament to be honest which you will see from some of the sluggish movement - Tournaments here generally finish around April and I then also lose some sparring partners during the 'off season'. This has now changed in the last few weeks and I am playing singles regularly with my doubles partner (think we're currently 59 & 60 in singles in England)

It feels and appears to be having an effect already...

PS... targeting Silver and Gold BE tourneys mainly, been playing them for 2 years also.

Are you familiar with the system over here?

Indeed the venue wasn't the best - I made mention of this in reference to players' complaints about concrete flooring in the Canada Open thread. There were skylights, yes, it wasn't anywhere near as bad for visibility as you would think.... for me anyway.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    msitpro: Do you plan to play more international tornaments? What's your goal? How old are you?
    Yes, I will look at my schedule for the coming 'season' (Mid-Aug to May) including county matches along with domestic tournaments and see what's do-able. Finances will have a bearing also

My goal is to just push myself as far as I can... I cannot dedicate my whole life to it obviously, I have a well paid job in IT...

More international tourneys when I have the time and money, aim is to win some matches... maybe long term target by the time I hang my rackets up, last 32 of an IS? Domestically is to appear in the Nationals at least once.

I've got 'serious' in the sport pretty late, I turned 27 at the weekend. I did not play a competitive singles match between the age of 17 and 25 to give you some idea LOL (family took hold for a few years)

But then on the flip side, my legs will last longer as I've not had the years and years of pounding that others' on the English circuit have had. My experience in combination with my comparitively 'fresh' legs may be an asset later on - that's my hope anyway!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    What happened to your net? Shrunk in the washer and dryer?

But yeah, it was over.
    I've watched j4ckie's videos and it's a recurring theme.... Personally it would drive me absolutely bonkers, I'd refuse to play a tournament and ask for money back if the nets didn't cover the whole court!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely agree, was a very bad match from an errors point of view... usually guys on the English circuit may refer to me as a 'runner' - consistent if unspectacular - I am trying to change that and be more aggressive and improve shot-making to get to the next level...

I think I made an error on service 4-5 times in the match which is completely unacceptable!!

I wasn't in the best of shape leading into the tournament to be honest which you will see from some of the sluggish movement - Tournaments here generally finish around April and I then also lose some sparring partners during the 'off season'. This has now changed in the last few weeks and I am playing singles regularly with my doubles partner (think we're currently 59 & 60 in singles in England)

It feels and appears to be having an effect already...

PS... targeting Silver and Gold BE tourneys mainly, been playing them for 2 years also.

Are you familiar with the system over here?

Indeed the venue wasn't the best - I made mention of this in reference to players' complaints about concrete flooring in the Canada Open thread. There were skylights, yes, it wasn't anywhere near as bad for visibility as you would think.... for me anyway.
    Yes I'm very familiar with the way tournaments work in England, and I understand the problems regarding the off season. It only ever seems to be the serious players that have the willpower to train during the summer months

Maybe next season you'll be in a better shape, better drilled and more ready. Hopefully you'll be back out at another event soon

Ps, are badminton England still making you pay that ludicrous "administration fee" for entering international events out with the national set up?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, I will look at my schedule for the coming 'season' (Mid-Aug to May) including county matches along with domestic tournaments and see what's do-able. Finances will have a bearing also

My goal is to just push myself as far as I can... I cannot dedicate my whole life to it obviously, I have a well paid job in IT...

More international tourneys when I have the time and money, aim is to win some matches... maybe long term target by the time I hang my rackets up, last 32 of an IS? Domestically is to appear in the Nationals at least once.

I've got 'serious' in the sport pretty late, I turned 27 at the weekend. I did not play a competitive singles match between the age of 17 and 25 to give you some idea LOL (family took hold for a few years)

But then on the flip side, my legs will last longer as I've not had the years and years of pounding that others' on the English circuit have had. My experience in combination with my comparitively 'fresh' legs may be an asset later on - that's my hope anyway!
    Kudos to you.

I was in a similar position not playing any singles. Luckily, I found a singles player to coach me who was playing on the international circuit at the same time. During my losses, I would go back to him and talk tactics. Then, we would train areas where I felt there were weaknesses. Against my regular gang, we would be on court for easily an hour - that was excellent for training the mental aspect of the game. Fortunately, there are a lot of singles players in Hong Kong - far more than in UK.

Having a hard core group of singles players helps a lot as does changing the venue frequently.