User Tag List

Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 94 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sevex View Post
    To answer question number 2:

I wouldn't personally run to get the shuttle, neither would I walk slowly. Just a standard walking pace is fine. From looking at the videos you posted your pace is fine. He was just trying to put you off I think. Unless of course you were much slower in the other match.

The problem with your serve is the racket starts off below your rib but you contact the shuttle far higher. I think it might help if you had the shuttle almost touching the racket when you serve and check where it is in relation to your body.

So instead of swinging the racket forwards bring it into your body more then swing out. If you have the right technique you should still be able to flick it to the back of the court. Although it won't be "easy". You will also find controlling the serve less challenging.

You could always serve it short most of the time,as that serve is better for that and flick occasionally, to catch your opponent out. Otherwise you may as well use the forehand long serve instead.

Hope that helps, I really should post a video of me playing at some point... Not that I'm particularly good, but the feedback given by others here is useful!
    Back to square 1, regarding my serve, I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time is on your side mate.
    Your passion is there, just WOrk hard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Babyface View Post
    time is on your side mate.
    Your passion is there, just WOrk hard
    I suppose so, I just need to work on my all round game I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me and you both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7sbz...ayer_embedded#!
    another one :P this is the 2nd set of a school game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by herk123 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7sbz...ayer_embedded#!
    another one :P this is the 2nd set of a school game
    Are you closest to the camera or furthest away? My initial impression was simply "wow, that looks like pretty high quality badminton for a school game" - badminton at most schools in England is nothing like that, more just tapping it over the net with a panhandle grip, barely hitting it past the service line. Of course, club and league badminton in the UK is generally of a much higher standard than people that play at (and represent) their schools.

Assuming you're the player closest to the camera this time around, the one thing that struck me first was how much I wanted to scream the words "RACKET UP" at you, especially considering what I practised virtually all morning today. You have your racket in a good position to return serve with but after every shot, you just drop it. By dropping your racket, you virtually eliminate any chance of hitting a decent net shot because by the time your racket is in a position to contact the shuttle, the shuttle is already well below net height. If you can, aim to take all net shots above or equal to net tape level. Obviously, this isn't possible always - sometimes a drop or net shot simply beat you all ends up and require you to scramble just to return them but a lot of the time, you should be looking to make contact above net height.

Having your racket low also damages your net game in a different way - keeping you racket below the shuttle encourages a swinging action for playing net shots, making it difficult to get them tight. Most, if not all of the "power" to carry a net shot over the net should simply come from the motion of lunging in to it. You don't need to swing your racket, just position it correctly with a kind of "jab" (moving it straight forwards, not upwards) and let your feet and the racket do the work. Sorry if that's not a great explanation - I know what I mean but I'm not sure that anyone else will on this matter.

Oh and whilst I think of it, on your first video, I noticed that your forehand high serve didn't seem to be going particularly deep. Try and make it drop in the tramlines. You also have room to hit it higher (as long as you can achieve decent depth) just to remove the risk of someone cutting it off early with a smash/ jump smash. Ideally, you want to make your forehand high serve go high and then fall almost vertically over the gap in the back tramlines. I say the gap between the two simply because it's pretty hard to consistently land a shuttle from the middle of your court right on the back line - you're bound to miss a few if you're trying to hit the back line. Just aim in that kind of area and most of your high serves should be pretty decent.

I do like your backhand short serve - it seems to be a good way for you to start the rally. You could maybe make it a bit flatter (and so harder for a good player to attack) but that would come at the expense of some consistency. Having a really tight serve is more important in doubles than singles and at the moment, your backhand short serve seems to be serving you fine (truly horrendous pun not intended) so I wouldn't change it - the serve is a relatively difficult thing to overhaul because it's bit of a rhythm shot. When changing your serve, as I did a while ago, I would imagine you'd find it got worse before getting better.

Tactically, I thought you were fairly good, I noticed that you got some success with high lifts to your opponent's backhand corner and you seemed to notice this as well because you did it more than once. Whether a conscious or subconscious thing, being aware of your opponent's strengths and weaknesses is the first step to beating them.

I'm not sure that you're contacting the shuttle as high as you could on your overhead shots, I think by taking them earlier you'd contact the shuttle with your arm at full extension and find it easier to generate power and angles. I believe the description someone gave your smash, "erratic" was pretty accurate. To me, your smash swing looks more of a wild hack than a controlled badminton swing. You're trying to hit it too hard. It may sound counter-intuitive but you'll hit your hardest smash when you relax and don't really try to knock seven bells out of the shuttle, just focus on your technique and the racket head speed will come naturally as a result of the technique. Watch some slow-mo videos of the top pros smashing and then watch the full speed ones. You'll find that even on the full speed videos, they don't always look like they're trying to hit the shuttle through the floor. Granted, when they go for a really huge smash, sometimes they do look like they want to hit it through the floor but generally, you'll find the pros are much more relaxed when playing their shots than most amateur players do.

Sorry for the long post and I don't mean to be overly critical because you're actually pretty good. The above is just a rather random collection of things that I noticed that were good and some that you could improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you so much for the advice, i don't at all mind it being long. Also yes i am closer to the camera, sorry failed to clarify. On the point of racket being too low, I've been criticized about before, and i believe i have this problem because as I've been told i am too comfortable defending. I i believe you should have your racket a bit lower for defending yes? And also would it at all help this problem if i just get someone to feed shuttles to me for net shots and I hold my racket high to hopefully gt into a habit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by herk123 View Post
    thank you so much for the advice, i don't at all mind it being long. Also yes i am closer to the camera, sorry failed to clarify. On the point of racket being too low, I've been criticized about before, and i believe i have this problem because as I've been told i am too comfortable defending. I i believe you should have your racket a bit lower for defending yes? And also would it at all help this problem if i just get someone to feed shuttles to me for net shots and I hold my racket high to hopefully gt into a habit?
    Sorry for the slow response. Being "too happy when defending" could be the reason for your low racket but whatever it is, I think you'd be a better player with a more complete game if you kept your racket up and prepared for shots the right way. In practice games, concentrate on having your racket up when you split step. Make your practice partner watch you and ensure that you do have the racket in the correct position.

If you're working on keeping your racket high when at the net, your racket should never drop below net height. Split in your normal singles base with your racket up, lunge in towards the net with your toes pointing where you're going, cut the shot off, keeping your racket above net height, tilting it to ensure the shuttle goes over the net but only just. Return quickly to base "turning your racket up" in to its normal position when you split for the net shot. The "turning the racket up" bit is kind of difficult to explain but try it on court and I think you'll know what I mean; basically if you can avoid dropping your racket, avoid dropping your racket.

When hitting overhead shots, you can't keep your racket high all the time, in your follow-through your racket is probably going to go down. As soon as your follow-through finishes naturally (slows to a stop), try to get your racket up as part of the collection of things you would do whilst getting back to base. By having your racket up when you see the overhead shot means that you can use a more compact, simpler motion to prepare and make your swing. A simpler and more compact swing should mean that your overhead strokes will become more consistent and you'll be able to get them off quicker when rushed.

To be honest, it's just something you have to drill in to yourself. There isn't a quick fix - you just have to do it for so long that it becomes automatic.

Hope I've helped and if you've got any more questions, feel free to post them and I or someone else will answer them to the best of our abilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey!
    been watching with interest, but had no camcorder!
    final my friend got one so here is just some drills. no game yet, playback is a bit glitchy in the games....
    its Ben at the beginning, and me in the second half, im in the yellow shirt. start of with a nice juicy shank into the net. but better after that. haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlOtf7bQlAo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, id like to have any suggestions about my playing. This vid is half-court singles. Im in white shirt with my opponent as young half of my age; im 32.
    Next im planning to upload fullcourt single.
    Thank you for your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGjq5XPKrH0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is obviously a relaxed practice routine however it is clear to see that your hittting technique and movement style are basically pretty good and that you've had some coaching in the past. I would prefer to see a little more readiness and quicker reactions when you're waiting for your opponents replies. In particular, your racket preparation is a little late. Try to hold your racket up ready for net returns so that you can take the shuttle higher up the net and impart more spin. For overheads again your racket preparation is late, try to get your racket into the ready position as you're moving to the shuttle, this will mean the racket is ready, you have a slight pause before swinging through, giving you control, consistancy and deception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yippo888 View Post
    hey!
    been watching with interest, but had no camcorder!
    final my friend got one so here is just some drills. no game yet, playback is a bit glitchy in the games....
    its Ben at the beginning, and me in the second half, im in the yellow shirt. start of with a nice juicy shank into the net. but better after that. haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlOtf7bQlAo
    Nice smashes - I really liked the second smash that you hit in that video. Perhaps some people's would be more consistent but consistency doesn't seem like a huge issue for you because you probably wouldn't be hitting that many consecutive smashes in a game situation anyway. The one comment I would make about your smash is that sometimes (not that often) you seemed to to hit somewhere in-between a normal smash and a jump smash. You seemed to be getting the worst of both worlds in a lot of cases to me. It may just have been because you were drilling and wanted to keep the drill going but if you would normally do that in a game, I'd advise you to be more decisive about the shot you're playing. If you're going to go for a jump smash in a game, you need to be sure of hitting an outright winner or getting a really weak reply. If you're going to go for that approach, make a dynamic jump then bury it. Don't try to hit it too hard though, you'll probably just slow your smash down. A relaxed arm and using all of your body are much more effective ways to hit fast smashes than simply tensing up and trying to smack the shuttle because that just doesn't work. If you're going to hit a smash without a jump, make a kick-through but try to get your feet back on the court quickly so you can recover sooner and play a better next shot.

The other comment I would make is that sometimes, you don't seem to get properly behind the shuttle, I think you just stand half a step too far in court or contact the shuttle a bit late but you end up with a flatter smash that will usually be quite easy to deal with because a flatter smash gives your opponent more options and more time to deal with. Other than these two points though your smash is looking really good. Any chance of some full game footage?

Quote Originally Posted by fuyu2010 View Post
    Hi, id like to have any suggestions about my playing. This vid is half-court singles. Im in white shirt with my opponent as young half of my age; im 32.
    Next im planning to upload fullcourt single.
    Thank you for your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGjq5XPKrH0
    How serious was this game? You both seem like capable players but at times, it didn't seem that serious. It's obvious that you both play to a decent standard but the net shots in that game, on the whole, seemed quite loose. Whilst some were tight, a lot floated quite a long way above the net and I think that in a serious game, these would get picked on quite a bit.

Another aspect of your net game that I would perhaps change is the way you play your spinning net shots. Whilst spinning net shots are great sometimes, I saw you hit one a couple from quite a long way from the net, spinning net shots simply aren't as effective from way back there and should really be reserved for when you're closer to the net. Just a flat net shot or net push from their would have sufficed and probably gone over. I also think that you could cut the racket movement on your spinning net shot down a bit. You might find that a smaller wrist movement is both more effective and more consistent. Granted, you might not but just give it a go so you can find out either way.

You seemed to snatch at your smash a little bit. Whilst everyone wants to hit a hard smash, I think you just tried to overhit yours at points. In the space of about two and a half minutes, I saw at least two relatively routine smashes fine the net. I think your main problem is that you don't extend your arm that far on the smash - reach up more and hit with fuller extension for more power, consistency and a better angle. Like my advice to the person above, just relax, loosen up, don't try to hit it too hard and then watch the shuttle go through the floor. You get much better consistency, power and accuracy when you're brave enough to loosen up and fully extend.

One really good thing I noticed was the depth on your high serve - you forced your opponent right to the back of the court. I think the high serve is an underused tactic in singles at most levels of the game so it was nice to see you implement it so well. Serving well is the key to a strong all-round game, you won't get very far without a good, solid serve so you should take confidence from this. A full court game would be nice to watch - I wonder how different your gameplan and shots would be...................

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any videos from you Dan ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Any videos from you Dan ?
    I will put one up eventually, I promise. I've only just got back to badminton after being out for nearly 6 weeks with a badly sprained ankle (went over on it in a spectacular fashion whilst playing squash) so no-one really wants to see me playing at the moment. I played a local tournament last Sunday and played horribly, losing all of my singles round robin matches to people who I probably should have beaten, throwing away solid leads in all four matches. Doubles was slightly better but I certainly didn't play as well as I know I can. At that tournament it felt like I'd simply forgotten how to win. I feel like I'm starting to find some rhythm again now and actually played reasonably well on Saturday. I'm looking forward to playing tomorrow and seeing if things can improve further. Next Sunday I'm playing another local tournament in Derby so let's see how things go. At the moment, I'm just focussing on getting my game back to where it should be and then I'll focus on some more development stuff.

I was planning on recording a video long before I was injured but you need permission to film in the sports centre that I play at. To add to this problem, there's really too much distance between the back wall and the courts to make the "stick a cameraphone in your bag and record method" work well and give any meaningful results. I enquired about the process for obtaining permission to film via email and face to face but the email got no response and the staff I asked were next to useless so progress kind of came to a standstill and I suppose you could say I gave up. Perhaps I should try again to get permission to film or find somewhere that doesn't require it. Just let me find my game a bit first. *looks* It's in here somewhere, I'm sure of it .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    I will put one up eventually, I promise. I've only just got back to badminton after being out for nearly 6 weeks with a badly sprained ankle (went over on it in a spectacular fashion whilst playing squash) so no-one really wants to see me playing at the moment. I played a local tournament last Sunday and played horribly, losing all of my singles round robin matches to people who I probably should have beaten, throwing away solid leads in all four matches. Doubles was slightly better but I certainly didn't play as well as I know I can. At that tournament it felt like I'd simply forgotten how to win. I feel like I'm starting to find some rhythm again now and actually played reasonably well on Saturday. I'm looking forward to playing tomorrow and seeing if things can improve further. Next Sunday I'm playing another local tournament in Derby so let's see how things go. At the moment, I'm just focussing on getting my game back to where it should be and then I'll focus on some more development stuff.

I was planning on recording a video long before I was injured but you need permission to film in the sports centre that I play at. To add to this problem, there's really too much distance between the back wall and the courts to make the "stick a cameraphone in your bag and record method" work well and give any meaningful results. I enquired about the process for obtaining permission to film via email and face to face but the email got no response and the staff I asked were next to useless so progress kind of came to a standstill and I suppose you could say I gave up. Perhaps I should try again to get permission to film or find somewhere that doesn't require it. Just let me find my game a bit first. *looks* It's in here somewhere, I'm sure of it .
    Oh, the sticking a camera phone in your bag method is reserved for me ! I think you need permission for where I play, but my method of recording appears to be working for now. Although sometimes you don't get the best of angles as you probaly saw in my last video your lucky, there is regular tournaments where you are, here there is a tournament once a month, and they tend to be straight knockouts. only got the one tournament left this season and then I there is the whole summer to train and re examine my game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi dan!
    thanks for the good constructive observations been waiting like ages for some comments! nobody else going to say anything??

yeh it wasnt a full blown jump smash drill, more of a relaxed smashing practice, was trying more to hit down the line more than anything. but yeh i do notice i tend to arch my back and use my wrist to flick the direction of the shuttle down in some situations rather than properly get behind a shuttle. just lazyness i think......bad habits!

but yeh the quality of the smashes were certainly fairly inconsistent in terms of the steepness and angle. i quite like my box jump technique out wide, but id been told by both my coaches at uni i probably had good enough technique and fitness to been a bit more pro active and 'arc step' out wide so that i can fully rotate through my hips and kick through.

just got a new kodak zx1, to go with my friends new sony bloggie, so will upload some new drills and maybe a couple singles matches aswell. we are mainly doubles players so sometimes the singles can be a bit disjointed. see what happens eh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, havent really had time to comment, due to exams etc. And its a bit late to comment just now, but watch this space .from first viewing, it all looks good, but maybe post something with more movement, or a competitive match, if thats possible, i know this was just a drill, but its nice to see other shots, and how you play in competitive situations, i will have another video soonish, of me in a competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by yippo888 View Post
    hi dan!
    thanks for the good constructive observations been waiting like ages for some comments! nobody else going to say anything??

yeh it wasnt a full blown jump smash drill, more of a relaxed smashing practice, was trying more to hit down the line more than anything. but yeh i do notice i tend to arch my back and use my wrist to flick the direction of the shuttle down in some situations rather than properly get behind a shuttle. just lazyness i think......bad habits!

but yeh the quality of the smashes were certainly fairly inconsistent in terms of the steepness and angle. i quite like my box jump technique out wide, but id been told by both my coaches at uni i probably had good enough technique and fitness to been a bit more pro active and 'arc step' out wide so that i can fully rotate through my hips and kick through.

just got a new kodak zx1, to go with my friends new sony bloggie, so will upload some new drills and maybe a couple singles matches aswell. we are mainly doubles players so sometimes the singles can be a bit disjointed. see what happens eh?

Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 94 ... LastLast