User Tag List

Page 53 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 103 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My serve is basically a short forehand serve, but I find that mixing this up a lot works very wel, in every match I get like 5-6 free points with this serve so it works for me. About the grip, I change that on nearly every stroke, the quality of the vid isn't good enough to see that I suppose. You're right about the footwork, I'll focus on that more.

O and about the video itself, friend of mine recorded this, just for fun, I didn't even know he was recording :P

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post

direct link

I'm in white/black. It's not one of my better games and a big air shot around 5:18.

One thing I've noticed by myself is that I have a kind of rocking motion that doesn't look good. seems to come from my feet but shows up in my shoulders. you can see it virtually everytime that I have to go backwards for an overhead.
    anyone want to look at mine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dokkie: Wouldn't have any free points with me - well that is your style, and if it works on this level fine with me, as long as you don't feel restricted... (if I trained you over a period, I might had another opinion).
    BTW: forgot one thing more, concerning ready stand: racket up
    This might have a connection to your relaxed style and attitude, as you mentioned, I think you can improve a lot, just working with that! It might come with a new more explosive footwork approach!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have time to see it all, but concerning 5:18, try to compare with the clear just before that where it works! I think you can see the difference yourself, notice your arm! Perhaps you try jumping an forget the rest!
    "If" it is a general problem, it might explain the rocking motion, if you also lean back (afraid of the shuttle syndrome). Have a look at the whole clip, and you can tell me whether that is a problem!
    Last edited by Mikael; 08-21-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, the air swing is not common at all, and I don't have a general problem with jump shots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mikeal, I'll make another vid soon, with good camera and I'll play a bit more serious :P
    Have to admid I wasn't serving really good in this match, probrably because there was no need to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everytime you short serve, the opponent has you scambling whenever he dumps it back on your forehand back corner. If a slow guy like your opponent can take advantage of your short serve like that, you have absolutely no reason to be serving short under any circumstance.
    Aside from that, I think the rest of your game is fairly balanced.

Your opponent's court coverage was weak so you didn't need to do much to win points, how well do you do against quicker players?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by urameatball View Post
    everytime you short serve, the opponent has you scambling whenever he dumps it back on your forehand back corner. If a slow guy like your opponent can take advantage of your short serve like that, you have absolutely no reason to be serving short under any circumstance.
    Aside from that, I think the rest of your game is fairly balanced.

Your opponent's court coverage was weak so you didn't need to do much to win points, how well do you do against quicker players?
    all my serves are very loose atm for singles just because I haven't practiced/used them much so I'm still adjusting from doubles serves.

I played someone today that's a lot better (and faster) than the person in the vid today. He got a lot more shots back and we had a number of good rallies. I find that as long as I have a little bit of time I can keep changing where I place my shots and keep them away from my opponent then I do quite well. However, I get in control of some rallies and throw away the advantage due to poor accuracy of my more aggressive shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont want to disrespect your opponent , but he is not the quickest on court . therefore you have to control the rally and point ,not from smashing from the backline as you did , but to make your opponent move to the 4 corners of court and force him to make mistakes , (so you can capitalize ((use the smash)) ..after 20-25 points in the game , he will be so tired that he would be setting you up for easy kills.

You got good techniques and move well around the court , but try not to use yours high backhand clear too often
    Last edited by staiger; 08-21-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a few videos of me playing 4 months after the last set of videos to be posted. Some things I already know, Overheard shots still aren't great, been working on forearm pronation technique but it is still very much a works one day and not the next. On this day it didn't work very well because, I realised afterwards I kept bending my wrist rather than keeping it straight. My serve was also dodgy for the same reason. Sorry you can't see the shuttle when it is high, I only have a short tripod (need more money)!

Only other thing to note is the hall was unbelievably hot and humid!

Match 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20eoE6vGzbg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOROZK5PcuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoWh8vKGAhg

Match 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpKkr275NWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-xaqEIKI0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtz5KNy2Jm0

Both matches went to 3 games and I won both, mainly through fitness and speed rather than skill...

Feel free to comment and critique if you see anything glaringly wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Servex:

Servex (I assume you play in black?):

Just had a short look at the first match, concerning your long forehand serve, I like the fact that you actually end your hand up (head hight), on the other hand your ready stance could be better. You will then get much more balance, control and use of body rotation.

When you go to the net, take care you don't land like an "elephant" (nothing to do with weight), we say that if people land with such a power that they get "stock" out there or keep going forward, then they become slow!

Your attitude is very relax, can be both good and bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amleto, can happen to everyone Still I was thinking of a general thing, that just was revealed there! Sometimes you bend your body together after you hit, and it either go to the net or out!
    You have many short rallies, and I would work with precision! Though that can be a billion things, mostly racket grip, control of body and rotation as mentioned, control of power! For the last one, if you are alone on court, lay some things at the other side, marks, at different length and try to hit them, first you are fixed then move around!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Servex (I assume you play in black?):

Just had a short look at the first match, concerning your long forehand serve, I like the fact that you actually end your hand up (head hight), on the other hand your ready stance could be better. You will then get much more balance, control and use of body rotation.

When you go to the net, take care you don't land like an "elephant" (nothing to do with weight), we say that if people land with such a power that they get "stock" out there or keep going forward, then they become slow!

Your attitude is very relax, can be both good and bad!
    Believe it or not I'm the person in blue... Hence my comment on winning through stamina and speed rather than skill.... I occasionally have problems with whole body coordination, which is what happened in the video (started playing when I was 18 and am not at all sporty). Not really sure how to correct this problem but when using forearm pronation I feel more controlled, hence why I'm trying to learn it and get rid of my old "flailing" clear technique. I will pass the comments on to my friend though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... when is there gonna be a recording of our matches?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Babyface View Post
    ... when is there gonna be a recording of our matches?
    Just let me know when you can next play and I'll bring my camera and tripod. It would be fairly useful if I can get a lot better than in that video before hand though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's the Berkshire Chinese tournament coming up on the 3rd oct in Slough.
    You guy could enter and do your videoing there.

I can forward an entry form if you fancy playing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1984AllENGLAND View Post
    There's the Berkshire Chinese tournament coming up on the 3rd oct in Slough.
    You guy could enter and do your videoing there.

I can forward an entry form if you fancy playing.
    I personally am not Chinese, which might prove to be a slight problem. I can ask my friend if he's interested though, he might be considering the tournament we tried to enter over summer got cancelled.

Page 53 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 103 ... LastLast