User Tag List

Page 64 of 131 FirstFirst ... 14 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 114 ... LastLast
Results 1,072 to 1,088 of 2214
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kingmario: you seem very 'lazy' in getting to the shuttle - especially the last step. It's like you don't want to strike the shuttle high, but prefer to let it drop. Similar thing for lots of your overheads - very low strike point. Just watch rally at 5mins for example. Low overhead, no movement to shuttle for the next shot, and no footwork at all!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noUf0...el_video_title

I know i'm not that high a level at the moment, but basically if you look at my first few videos you'll see how i've come along in less than 2 years playing at university (one of which I could not play for 4 months due to unrelated ankle sprain).

Any constructive criticism is always welcomed, always looking for improvement .

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which are you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he is the one that is left handed...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, looked at some other vids.. good improvement!!

here is a vid of the most fun I've had in training recently - love deception type things,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amleto, nice video, as a coach, can I suggest you give yourself a bit more time and space on this sort of practice. Also your left arm is inactive meanign you are very cramped up. When you are doing the lift you seem to finish with your racket in almost a backhand position (on the forehand side) ? Hope you don't mind the comments, good to see someone practising and putting up a video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Guilty...

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    kingmario: you seem very 'lazy' in getting to the shuttle - especially the last step. It's like you don't want to strike the shuttle high, but prefer to let it drop. Similar thing for lots of your overheads - very low strike point. Just watch rally at 5mins for example. Low overhead, no movement to shuttle for the next shot, and no footwork at all!
    I've been rewatching the complete videos of my match and concur - I am guilty of laziness in getting to the shuttle! As you'll see in the one I'll post soon - I became content with getting to the shuttle just in time instead of getting to the shuttle early. And as someone else posted, I've not been aware crouching to maintain balance so my footwork becomes less effective. That's something that I'll focus on as I start training at my school this semester. Thanks for the points!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    amleto, nice video, as a coach, can I suggest you give yourself a bit more time and space on this sort of practice. Also your left arm is inactive meanign you are very cramped up. When you are doing the lift you seem to finish with your racket in almost a backhand position (on the forehand side) ? Hope you don't mind the comments, good to see someone practising and putting up a video
    I agree with needing more space. I should mention to coach more that I feel he feeds a bit too fast sometimes so I dont have time to get back to starting position, then my step into the shuttle always brings me closer and closer.

As regards, the racket finishing position, yes, I think it is necessary for the shot! The motion is like holding a sauce pan (hold), then quickly turn it upside down (flick). The grip is a bit different, but you get the picture. I think if you have strong wrist, you dont need to do full 180deg flip. I think this motion is key for the deception because there is no back-swing at all!

I also like to use the 'three levels of deception' from the lee jae bok vids (even though there are only two levels of deception!).

Thanks for observations
    Last edited by amleto; 07-19-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks amleto. I agree that a large part of the shot is in the forearm rotation but at the point where the next shuttle is being fed you have your racket in a backhand preparation on the forehand side, clearly this is not something that would be happening in a game. As you say it may be down to the feeding, or it could be some sort of learning aid rather than actual play. In order for the shot to be deceptive you need to "hold" the shot as if you are playing straight net, in order to do that you need to present the racket as if you are taking an early shuttle and playing forehand net, and the earlier you show this the easier the deception.

The shot power comes from forearm rotation but the fingers tightening on impact for a sharp shot and the racket head finishing near the 12 o'clock position (more like 100 degrees rotation) unless you are trying for some sort of brush/topspin effect?

There's a good Gade demo here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4rmd...eature=related its in Danish and for straight lift but its worth watching.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    Thanks amleto. I agree that a large part of the shot is in the forearm rotation but at the point where the next shuttle is being fed you have your racket in a backhand preparation on the forehand side, clearly this is not something that would be happening in a game. As you say it may be down to the feeding, or it could be some sort of learning aid rather than actual play. In order for the shot to be deceptive you need to "hold" the shot as if you are playing straight net, in order to do that you need to present the racket as if you are taking an early shuttle and playing forehand net, and the earlier you show this the easier the deception.

The shot power comes from forearm rotation but the fingers tightening on impact for a sharp shot and the racket head finishing near the 12 o'clock position (more like 100 degrees rotation) unless you are trying for some sort of brush/topspin effect?

There's a good Gade demo here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4rmd...eature=related its in Danish and for straight lift but its worth watching.
    hmm, it's not really back hand prep, but is maybe more face-down that I would normally have it.

I changed the type of contact with the shuttle a few times - some are brush, some arent
    Last edited by amleto; 07-20-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too late for edit...

The prep is more like receiving service, but because of the grip for the shots, the racket is a bit more closed than normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definately slow down the feeding, feed the shuttle a bit deeper and move back a lot. Your left arm is tucked in and the right has poor extension. If you are going to play a tumble net shot off a very wide shot (probably a drop) most players would play the with outwards movement (from your left to right) not inwards, as the inwards requires you to move further out to the corner and is often going to be against the path of the shuttle if its a cross or outwards drop.

You don't want your racket face so downwards after the shot, even if it was a return serve stance. You probably want to get your partner to spin some shuttles up from a lower position for brush/kills or brush lifts and to throw deeper for the flat lifts.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First points are well taken and I saw that for myself. I think I will be tougher on coach about feeding speed - this will help give me more distance to cover and force better extension.

hmm, do you keep switching comments on BH from prep to after the stroke? I'm getting confused about which you refer to. After the shot, the racket really isn't very face down I dont think.

I know what you are saying about inward/outward tumble (I play both), but if you are playing from very wide, you cant play outwards as you push the shuttle out. In any event, it's not what the drill was all about
    Last edited by amleto; 07-20-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I enjoyed watching this match. You are a very good player. You're movement is great and you have a strong smash... Although I felt it was too strong at times.

The power of you're smash is a very strong part of your game, however at times during that game it put you into trouble because you tried killing everything far too soon, you had little control over the placement of this shot. What I mean by this is that you smashed right to you're opponent and once he returned it you where left surprised and off balance for the next shot. My coach always told me that in singles you should work you're opponent out of position and then control a smash into the open court (always move the opponent out of position to open up a section of the court or to force a weak return). A controlled smash with plenty of angle is much better.

So Clears and drops first... then smash when you're on balance and have opened up a part of the court to smash into.

Also 1 last word of advise, keep you're serve low. You have a very good low serve and from watching that game it set up lots of straight winners for you. If you look back, you will notice your high serve wasn't deceptive enough and you opponent pounced on it. Try to work on making the flick serve more deceptive and use it sparingly...

keep on improving. You are a very very very good player Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last post was aimed at" AimUk" by the way

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aimed at me- Pun intended? Haha, Eitherway thanks for the comment

I was very impatient I know, mainly because my arm was in severe pain for good few parts of the game, which is why you saw me taking a much larger percentage of those "risky shots". I thought that if I drew out any of the points longer than I had done I probably would have lost quite badly in the long run. If I had shown you a video of me playing in the semi finals you may have realised that I don't always play like that , but it is certainly something I was aware of at the time.

I agree though that moving my opponent is usually sidelined in favour of the big hits. My preferred game is doubles however, so that does explain part of the reason I play so agressively. Something I think i'll probably look at, one of our mottos at university is "love the rally", but it's only used in a context when some people do that, because we tend not to haha.

In response to the serving comment, I don't know why I personally go for the flick serve ocasionally but you're right, it's a bit too weak currently .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ye, You where probably right to take that approach then if you where injured

In terms of the flick serve, you are right to try different things. I am always changing my serves when I play singles. I try everything, drive serve, low serve, deep high serves... just to try things out. Once in a game my opponent had a really good disguised slice drop shot, which he performed directly after my high serve which I struggled to return. So I played drive serves at his non-racket shoulder... and figured out that he always returned a block to the net... which put me at an advantage because I knew where the next shot was. So ye just try things out.

When you flick serve... hold the flick of the wrist for as long as possible. Only flick at the very last second as you are about to make contact with the shuttle. Also think about the trajectory. If your opponent is tall, flick flat. If your opponent is small, flick high. Use the flick serve sparingly however. If your flick serve isn't very deceptive and you flick too often in a game it becomes useless. Your opponent will pick up clues in your action that give it away. So practise and practise getting a very deceptive flick serve and using it on one or two occasions. I remember once in a doubles game. I man flicked served me right at the start and caught me out... just because I didn't know what his serve even looked like never mind his flick serve! ha. He never used it again cos I knew what it looked like after.

Cheers