User Tag List

Page 86 of 131 FirstFirst ... 36 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,446 to 1,462 of 2214
  1. #1446
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,857
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good point, exactly what I was thinking. Comparing you two in the match, you have a lot of up-down movement and a very high split step. I think you should try to gain at least a little leg muscle, that would help with getting lower and smoothing out your movement. Your speed alone is fine the way it is, but the difference between Sergiy and you is that he moves lower and has nearly no up-down movement. His superior leg strength also allows for a more stable hitting position as he doesn't need his upper body as much to correct slight imbalances.
    I have no idea how much weight training you actually do, but it's pretty important to do some regularly. Marc is a prime example - he didn't like it when he was younger and avoided it as much as possible, and it came back to bite him as he had a slipped disk and needed surgery to get back to the sport.

    Anyway, it's not really like I knew better than you, so I just hope you'll continue improving and maybe break through to the (very) top one day

  2. #1447
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,269
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drew tze en View Post
    Here is my latest video, which was recorded yesterday UK time
    Obviously have improved

    Your singles flick serve is mostly ineffective. You will have to improve the short serve in order to make the singles flick serve more effective. Also, the choice of a flick serve for this opponent is not very appropriate. The opponent does not have a very active step towards the net when receiving a low serve. i.e.he's not moving much. So, when you hit the flick serve, he doesn't have to move much to smash the flick serve back at you. Try playing low serves and predicting which one the opponent plays good returns and which ones he might play poor returns. Try mixing up the pace of the low serve - slightly faster, slightly slower, slightly loopy, some to the right hip of the opponent, some slightly higher than the right hip, slightly out to the side. etc. watch closely the return and see if the opponent plays the same shot when you give him the same serve. Control the opponent's choice.

  3. #1448
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    9,047
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drew tze en View Post
    Here is my latest video, which was recorded yesterday UK time
    First time see you playing. Both of you were mostly playing 3/4 of the court on each side. Very few shots reach the baseline and most of your lobs were not high and deep enough hence were easily killed by your opponent. Also, too rush to serve between points. Should re-compose yourself before serving.

  4. #1449
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    9,047
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    I am, of course, the chinese one, playing against Prakash Pradukone.

    The kid on the right court is also of course, not mine

    Of course you are not playing against Prakash Padukone !! Hehe. It seems that you are playing slow motion badminton. I think you could have moved faster for your age and you didn't move your opponent to all four corners.

  5. #1450
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,269
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nbonkowsky View Post
    This is my singles match at the Canadian Open Grand Prix Gold against Sergiy Shatenko.

    I know that I am not consistent, I did get beat horribly I know that, you don't have to point that out. I know that I lost and you can say that I am not at his level because I know that I am not. He is ranked higher than me (242 vs 362) but that doesn't matter, there is a large level difference for sure. He is smoother, faster, more powerful, more consistent than me for sure. I didn't play the right strategy against him, wasn't smooth, was tense, yes all that is apparent, to big a split step yes I can see that and still haven't fixed it which is very unsettling, I also see there are times I didn't get behind the shuttle yes.

    All I can do is learn from this, move forward and try to improve as a player.

    Its super tough when I feel like I preformed better earlier this year in Asia in Vietnam and Osaka Internationals only to get beat this bad by a player and even in my recent performance at the US Open. I cant compete with players at this level yet and need to do a lot more before I can. I have all the respect for Sergiy he is an amazing player and has beaten some top ranked players in the world, I just wish I could have done better. Well enough wishing, time to work for it.

    You seem very tense. Was it just a bad day or some nerves? There really is no point on losing points on return of serve. I think you did yourself a disservice. I haven't seen you play before but yes, your centre of gravity does look high. Although you do a split step, you don't seem to bend at your knees so that's why you look high. Also, your shoulders don't drop in front of your centre of balance i.e. your body looks upright.

    It's really difficult to analyse such a game. My impression is that he is way more experienced and comfortable at competing at this level. So a lot can be gained from good gameplay by yourself. Once you got into the rally, things went better. Are you more of the runner type of player? He might have judged your game faster than you did his -i.e. the tightness of the hand making unforced errors and the running style.

    I thought you did better playing the flatter game. When he got you to high lift, he used his smash effectively to put pressure on you.

  6. #1451
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nbonkowsky View Post
    This is my singles match at the Canadian Open Grand Prix Gold against Sergiy Shatenko.

    I know that I am not consistent, I did get beat horribly I know that, you don't have to point that out. I know that I lost and you can say that I am not at his level because I know that I am not. He is ranked higher than me (242 vs 362) but that doesn't matter, there is a large level difference for sure. He is smoother, faster, more powerful, more consistent than me for sure. I didn't play the right strategy against him, wasn't smooth, was tense, yes all that is apparent, to big a split step yes I can see that and still haven't fixed it which is very unsettling, I also see there are times I didn't get behind the shuttle yes.

    All I can do is learn from this, move forward and try to improve as a player.

    Its super tough when I feel like I preformed better earlier this year in Asia in Vietnam and Osaka Internationals only to get beat this bad by a player and even in my recent performance at the US Open. I cant compete with players at this level yet and need to do a lot more before I can. I have all the respect for Sergiy he is an amazing player and has beaten some top ranked players in the world, I just wish I could have done better. Well enough wishing, time to work for it.

    Firstly, thanks for posting/updating. It's interesting to get some perspective from an international player!

    I think you're being a bit hard on yourself and I know you already mention split step, but I will mention some small thing. Maybe it will help or not...

    You mentioned that it is quite big and that you want to reduce it (I think I noticed this in your first vid so brownie points for me ). I think this will help in itself, but I think there will be an additional bonus from it when you manage it because: I noticed when you get *slightly* behind in terms of footwork, you use the 'big split' as a hop into position - you have momentum whilst split dropping. see 10:50 and 11:40 and compare your split to his when the reverse slice is played.

    The momentum is a real killer if it's not in the right direction!

    So anyway, I hope that is useful.

  7. #1452
    Regular Member drew tze en's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,250
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Obviously have improvedYour singles flick serve is mostly ineffective. You will have to improve the short serve in order to make the singles flick serve more effective. Also, the choice of a flick serve for this opponent is not very appropriate. The opponent does not have a very active step towards the net when receiving a low serve. i.e.he's not moving much. So, when you hit the flick serve, he doesn't have to move much to smash the flick serve back at you. Try playing low serves and predicting which one the opponent plays good returns and which ones he might play poor returns. Try mixing up the pace of the low serve - slightly faster, slightly slower, slightly loopy, some to the right hip of the opponent, some slightly higher than the right hip, slightly out to the side. etc. watch closely the return and see if the opponent plays the same shot when you give him the same serve. Control the opponent's choice.
    Thanks for the advice, I have been waiting for someone to comment on it.
    I think I'll focus and try to practice my flick serves the next time I play singles.
    Last edited by drew tze en; 07-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.

  8. #1453
    Regular Member drew tze en's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,250
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    First time see you playing. Both of you were mostly playing 3/4 of the court on each side. Very few shots reach the baseline and most of your lobs were not high and deep enough hence were easily killed by your opponent. Also, too rush to serve between points. Should re-compose yourself before serving.
    So, I should try and use more of the court ?
    I see, I need to make sure that my clears/ lobs good to the back.
    I should also take time during service.

    Ok thanks for the advice

  9. #1454
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Court 2
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nbonkowsky View Post
    This is my singles match at the Canadian Open Grand Prix Gold against Sergiy Shatenko.

    I know that I am not consistent, I did get beat horribly I know that, you don't have to point that out. I know that I lost and you can say that I am not at his level because I know that I am not. He is ranked higher than me (242 vs 362) but that doesn't matter, there is a large level difference for sure. He is smoother, faster, more powerful, more consistent than me for sure. I didn't play the right strategy against him, wasn't smooth, was tense, yes all that is apparent, to big a split step yes I can see that and still haven't fixed it which is very unsettling, I also see there are times I didn't get behind the shuttle yes.

    All I can do is learn from this, move forward and try to improve as a player.

    Its super tough when I feel like I preformed better earlier this year in Asia in Vietnam and Osaka Internationals only to get beat this bad by a player and even in my recent performance at the US Open. I cant compete with players at this level yet and need to do a lot more before I can. I have all the respect for Sergiy he is an amazing player and has beaten some top ranked players in the world, I just wish I could have done better. Well enough wishing, time to work for it.


    If you are playing against someone who is better or have more experience, it would make you look slower on the court , it is usual , some time it looks like he is toying with you but that is to tired you out , and once that fatigue set in , you will make all sort of errors on the courts, even judgmentally. I am not here to give you advice , but a word of encouragement , there are coaches you can go to for advice , so is none of our business in coaching you and telling you crap about split steps. This is because to get to your level , your footwork and movement is at a much advance level than any of us here. It is easy for us to talk about it , but when you are out on that court playing someone who is a among the best and playing this sport professionally it is not easy , it is hard enough to stay with him in the rally , it is more than just a game............ keep up the good work buddy !
    Last edited by Staiger1; 07-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.

  10. #1455
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Staiger1 View Post
    If you are playing against someone who is better or have more experience, it would make you look slower on the court , it is usual , some time it looks like he is toying with you but that is to tired you out , and once that fatigue set in , you will make all sort of errors on the courts, even judgmentally. I am not here to give you advice , but a word of encouragement , there are coaches you can go to for advice , so is none of our business in coaching you and telling you crap about split steps. This is because to get to your level , your footwork and movement is at a much advance level than any of us here. It is easy for us to talk about it , but when you are out on that court playing someone who is a among the best and playing this sport professionally it is not easy , it is hard enough to stay with him in the rally , it is more than just a game............ keep up the good work buddy !

    well, he asked and he gets an answer. of course a good coach will help him more, but he might well find something in the answers that helps him.
    some people here might not play at the same level than him, but maybe not that far away to be completely unable to judge what he's doing! and good enough to see some things that might help him.
    that does of course not replace a good coach by any means, but to call our advice "crap" is at least impolite.

  11. #1456
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Court 2
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    well, he asked and he gets an answer. of course a good coach will help him more, but he might well find something in the answers that helps him.
    some people here might not play at the same level than him, but maybe not that far away to be completely unable to judge what he's doing! and good enough to see some things that might help him.
    that does of course not replace a good coach by any means, but to call our advice "crap" is at least impolite.
    Hey, I am not saying your advice is crap, all I am saying is irrelevant in explaining to a player of his calibrate about split steps and how to do split steps. If you have seen his ''footwork'' video, you will see how good his footwork is.

    In his post , he did not ask us for advice , but simply ''posting a video of himself playing'' , as suggested in the thread title. So dont get carry away and giving advice ..with split-step...
    Yes split steps are vital in badminton , but it can be skipped / and can be modified depends on the situation (i.e.where the shuttle is going to be for the next shot.) ; and some advance level players , their split step are not apparent but still have incredible speed on court .

  12. #1457
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ipoh
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    Of course you are not playing against Prakash Padukone !! Hehe. It seems that you are playing slow motion badminton. I think you could have moved faster for your age and you didn't move your opponent to all four corners.
    Yes your are right, mainly due to the fact that at the moment this was recorded, it was the 7th set already. This Prakash stamina is weird indeed, the more he plays, the stamina he has, the quicker he becomes. I need to build myself towards explosive power towards ending of the game.

  13. #1458
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    9,047
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Yes your are right, mainly due to the fact that at the moment this was recorded, it was the 7th set already. This Prakash stamina is weird indeed, the more he plays, the stamina he has, the quicker he becomes. I need to build myself towards explosive power towards ending of the game.
    Bro, just play best of three games and based on what you claimed, then victory is yours.

  14. #1459
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ipoh
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    Bro, just play best of three games and based on what you claimed, then victory is yours.
    Yes, but nowadays with limited time and courts, I find more satisfaction in singles than doubles. Moreover, 'singles' fanatics are hard to come by. So when given a chance, play till 'drop dead'.
    Besides, the courts are free, at least till the next team arrives.

  15. #1460
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,857
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Taken during a session with a friend in the nearby center - the following match is still uploading, but will be public for a while.


  16. #1461
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    in your second game you can see a lot of your serves/clears/lifts are quite short.

  17. #1462
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,857
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh dear. Hadn't noticed that, and you're right indeed. I guess it's the 33lbs BG65 as I'm not usually playing with those rackets...felt awesome, but apparently I'd need a little more time to adjust. Although as much as I like the setup, I'll have to stay within warranty on my Braveswords (28x30) as they can be a little fragile at those tensions and I really can't afford a racket every month (which is my current rate of breaking them -.-).
    Or I play rather short clears in other matches as well, which would explain a few exceedingly bad matches in training against other players




    The last one is a MD match in Thursday's training. If you're wondering what I do in the middle of the first game (around 2:45) - I broke my BS12's handle on that last smash. Looking at my smashes, I wonder how that happened
    Last edited by j4ckie; 07-22-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Page 86 of 131 FirstFirst ... 36 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Test - Post your playing style and your horoscope
    By Mikael in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 31
    : 09-08-2013, 10:13 AM
  2. [Other] Post all the HQ Videos here
    By lining in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 3
    : 11-24-2010, 06:14 PM
  3. Post a picture of yourself in your Badminton playing gear!
    By SharpEye in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
  4. Post videos you've recorded yourself
    By darkwingduck in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 4
    : 02-09-2008, 06:17 AM
  5. how to post videos/interview in BF?
    By *GaDe~CaMiLlA* in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 1
    : 12-27-2004, 07:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •