User Tag List

Page 91 of 131 FirstFirst ... 41 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,547 of 2214
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi jajvirta

just a few remarks about your vid:

1. you often hit the shuttle too low when doing overhead strokes (smash, drop). like that you take away a lot of momentum and the possibility to play better angles. always try to hit the shuttle at the (almost) highest point possible.

2. you seem quite stiff on court. try to relax a bit more. (it's hard when you think about the movement, concentrate on hitting correctly, ... you easily get stiff with all these things in your head. but still: try to stay relaxed, try to have some fun and move smoothly...)

3. in addition to 2.: you don't rotate enough! when you do an overhead stroke, your hip should rotate first (and explosive!!) and then the arm follows (almost) automatically!

4. one thing with your footwork (you can see that in the end when you do that clear-smash-drop routine...): you often raise your right foot too early when you do the smash. it is physiologically almost impossible to rotate your hip explosively and thunder a lightning smash with one foot in the air. like that, you're always out of balance, and being in balance is maybe the most important thing in badminton (and sports in general...)

(there are of course some good things i could mention, but it probably helps you more if you get some help with your weaknesses instead...)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I picked up on was during your push shots after smashes.

You make all the movement necessary to get to the shuttle early, but negate it by leaving the shuttle till it is close to your chest.

You take the shuttle later, which means your shot quality is reduced by playing the shuttle tight to your body. You can obviously see the shuttle well, but it seems you chose to wait until it gets closer to you, whereas what you want to be doing is taking the shuttle as far away and as early as possible.

As a tall person you can save alot of energy by using your long reach rather than moving your body, so don't turn it into a disadvantage for the sake of all us tall people out there. It's more common than you know, alot of people think they are being deceptive with this kind of shot but in reality just getting there earlier will increase the shot variety and make you a much better player

Hope this helps,
    Andy.
    Last edited by AimUk; 10-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments. Some of the points I've realized myself, some was pointed out by the coach and some are completely new to me.

How to fix them is a whole different matter. :-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jajvirta View Post

How to fix them is a whole different matter. :-)
    step by step!!

not everything at once!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now you 'get' to see me play singles in decent shape - and what a treat that is! Recorded some during our last match, and uploaded games 1 and 3. Suffice to say, there is nothing worthy of any attention in game 2, where the average rally lasted 4-5 shots (normally my 2nd shot ended the rally one way or another). I guess I see how even at the top level, players lose games against clearly inferior opponents - no matter what the opponent does, you gotta stay focussed. Not always an easy task!
    If you wonder why I celebrate the 19-13 in the 3rd game so vocally - when I walked around before the point, one guy on the bench said "You nearly got him - he's getting nervous now!" so that I could hear it. I had to answer that
    3rd game starts around 9:18.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like that match...

only watched the 3rd game. it's pretty good. you really control the pace of the game: nice defensive play and slowing down the pace when your under pressure and then attacking and good speed when you have the opportunity.
    just two minor things:
    1. have you tried high serves? i have the impression that you sometimes get under pressure with the short serve. on the other hand, you have good defensive skills, so that a smash after a high serve will not harm you. (at least when the opponent ist not haifeng fu...).
    2. don't you guys coach each other in breaks? i think it helps a lot when teammates help each other during breaks. sometimes you see something from outside the court and give some advice. sometimes not, but you're still there to help your teammate and give him the feeling that he's not alone on the court...

just for my interest: which league is that? (haven't played in germany for a long time, so i have no idea what niveau it actually is...)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    i like that match...

only watched the 3rd game. it's pretty good. you really control the pace of the game: nice defensive play and slowing down the pace when your under pressure and then attacking and good speed when you have the opportunity.
    just two minor things:
    1. have you tried high serves? i have the impression that you sometimes get under pressure with the short serve. on the other hand, you have good defensive skills, so that a smash after a high serve will not harm you. (at least when the opponent ist not haifeng fu...).
    2. don't you guys coach each other in breaks? i think it helps a lot when teammates help each other during breaks. sometimes you see something from outside the court and give some advice. sometimes not, but you're still there to help your teammate and give him the feeling that he's not alone on the court...

just for my interest: which league is that? (haven't played in germany for a long time, so i have no idea what niveau it actually is...)
    We do - but you can see the scoreboard, I had a comfortable lead at that point. Also, I walked over to my teammates as I had left my water there...I had also done exactly what my doubles partner had told me to do - not showing my anger too much, and actually using my speed advantage (in the 2nd game, I had let my speed of movement drop, so that I did not take advantage of the sloppy returns to my sliced dropshots). Their advice was "keep it up"

It's Verbandsklasse - 1 class below Landesliga (state level). Unfortunately, an error on the first day of competition resulted in both matches being counted 8-0 against us, so any aspirations of moving up a division are pretty much gone (especially since my doubles partner doesnt want to ).

And as always - thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by j4ckie; 10-16-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    And now you 'get' to see me play singles in decent shape - and what a treat that is! Recorded some during our last match, and uploaded games 1 and 3. Suffice to say, there is nothing worthy of any attention in game 2, where the average rally lasted 4-5 shots (normally my 2nd shot ended the rally one way or another). I guess I see how even at the top level, players lose games against clearly inferior opponents - no matter what the opponent does, you gotta stay focussed. Not always an easy task!
    If you wonder why I celebrate the 19-13 in the 3rd game so vocally - when I walked around before the point, one guy on the bench said "You nearly got him - he's getting nervous now!" so that I could hear it. I had to answer that
    3rd game starts around 9:18.

Nice game. One thing I noticed is that after you've done a low/short serve and he returns serve to your backhand rearcourt you mostly use your backhand. However during a rally you nicely use a round the head movement to get into a forehand position. It wasn't too risky using a backhand in this game as he didn't tend to pressure the net after he turned you into the backhand.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I start on the far side in red and black, recent 2012 XVII Pan American Badminton Championships down in Lima, Peru. Played Rodolfo from Guatemala in round of 32. Lots of unforced errors on my part unfortunately but am still happy with how things are progressing in my game. Lots to learn and improve on, just have to keep pushing forward and training/working hard.

I need to work on putting pressure on my opponents, cause he wasn't really pressured by me at any point during that match.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see one of your matches again
    Let me preface this by saying that I really enjoy watching your games, and that everything I write is NOT critique, but rather my attempt to help you in that never-ending quest that is improving one's game

I think there are two things missing that prevent you from putting much pressure on him. First: physical strength. You are very nimble, and rather quick (especially considering your stature), but imop you would really benefit from a little more muscle. You are not as quick as your opponent in changing directions, and even though you anticipate very well, sometimes he still gets you - and sometimes you have to play a shot going backwards, and your coming forward afterwards is a little slow.
    Second: you seem a little too relaxed, or a little too mindful of shots coming back. You had several opportunities to kill a shot at the net, and instead of pushing yourself forward as quick as possible and thundering it down you lunged forward, keeping your balance rather than leaning forward. While that is of course much better should the kill actually come back, it prevents you from taking the shuttle just that slight bit earlier and often causes errors or time loss as you let the shuttle drop just a bit and either fluff the kill or have to play a different shot. That is a problem that is far more pronounced in my game and thus I have every right to point it out here Examples would be 9:30 (where you dont make an error, but dont put much pressure on), 10:27, 10:52, 11:08, 12:15.
    That is just a question of mindset - you need to be aggressive all the time, and after playing a good shot to the net and anticipating a short reply, all you have to think about is KILLING that shot, not getting it back. Of course once in a while that won't pay off, but generally, that should win you considerably more points than it costs you
    Also, you seem to go crosscourt from your forehand corner an awful lot - you should use your smash a little more, if you get behind the shuttle, it is very effective!

Now that I got all that out of my system, let me say once more that I really enjoy the games and all I post is not nit-picking or an actual belief I could do better, but an attempt to help a fellow (if much better) Badminton maniac
    So humor me like you would a slow kid trying to teach you math

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decided to upload another MD match after all. Played on the same day as my singles match, against the other team (we play against 2 teams on one day of competition). Not such a great match, intensity wasn't really high and after a lapse in concentration in the 2nd game (I think they led with 7-1 at one point) I had two runs of points on my serve and that was enough to decide the match.
    Final score was 21-11, 21-14.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey j4ckie, ive noticed that your videos have some fairly good quality and was wondering if you rendered your videos with some program to lower their size or if you just uploaded them directly on youtube

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blableblibloblu View Post
    hey j4ckie, ive noticed that your videos have some fairly good quality and was wondering if you rendered your videos with some program to lower their size or if you just uploaded them directly on youtube
    Usually used the Samsung Intelli Studio that came with the camera (basically the same as Windows Movie Maker) and converted them into .wmv, the last one I uploaded directly and cut on Youtube. Thanks to University broadband Internet it cost me 30min total compared to ~4-6hours it would usually take

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my latest video of me playing
    I apologise for the quality of the video, it seems my camera is playing up a little so....
    Having lost the game I'm happy with what I was doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ9lvIWFORE

I also recommend you watch it in 720p as it is clearer... sorry about the quality

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drew tze en View Post
    Here's my latest video of me playing
    I apologise for the quality of the video, it seems my camera is playing up a little so....
    Having lost the game I'm happy with what I was doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ9lvIWFORE

I also recommend you watch it in 720p as it is clearer... sorry about the quality

Good to see another vid of you I think you're improving nicely!
    A few things that I spotted more or less immediately: your racket is often too low, especially in defense (hanging around your right shin/ankle when it should be in front of your body, which makes your backhand defense rather slow) and flat rallies (after playing a flat drive, you let your racket arm drop for no reason, you need to stay more alert and have it ready for the next shot).
    Also, it looks like you're not using a proper thumb/backhand grip when you take the shuttle in front of you, but have the racket turned slightly towards a forehand grip. Not sure about that though. You could try and raise your elbow more on shots taken before or beside the body that are around shoulder height, it gives you more power on drives, more options and thus makes your next shot harder to read (as you can play a pretty hard drive as well as a block to the net, and not only a block/lift). And be sure to use a proper thumb/backhand grip when you take a shoulder height shot in front of you

Besides, seeing the whole court instead of just your side gives a better idea of where your shots land and how effectively you use them (i.e. if you can unbalance your opponent, keep him guessing, make the right choices etc).

Enjoyable vid! Keep training, you're definitely improving

PS: you give the lift away too easily at times, especially when following your attacking shot to the net. Try taking that area away from your opponent. Most of the time you get there early enough to play a very tight, tumbling net shot, which is a much more aggressive move than the slight hold &flick you use most of the time. You have the tools, but you gotta use them!
    Last edited by j4ckie; 10-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Good to see another vid of you I think you're improving nicely!
    A few things that I spotted more or less immediately: your racket is often too low, especially in defense (hanging around your right shin/ankle when it should be in front of your body, which makes your backhand defense rather slow) and flat rallies (after playing a flat drive, you let your racket arm drop for no reason, you need to stay more alert and have it ready for the next shot).
    Also, it looks like you're not using a proper thumb/backhand grip when you take the shuttle in front of you, but have the racket turned slightly towards a forehand grip. Not sure about that though. You could try and raise your elbow more on shots taken before or beside the body that are around shoulder height, it gives you more power on drives, more options and thus makes your next shot harder to read (as you can play a pretty hard drive as well as a block to the net, and not only a block/lift). And be sure to use a proper thumb/backhand grip when you take a shoulder height shot in front of you

Besides, seeing the whole court instead of just your side gives a better idea of where your shots land and how effectively you use them (i.e. if you can unbalance your opponent, keep him guessing, make the right choices etc).

Enjoyable vid! Keep training, you're definitely improving
    Thanks j4ckie!

hmm... Next time I record at the club again, I'll see if there is another place to position my camera.
    Thanks for the tips
    - Racket up, in front of the body
    - use a backhand grip with shots in front of the body
    - raise your elbow for more power

I will try and put these tips in place when I play next, but thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drew tze en View Post
    Thanks j4ckie!

hmm... Next time I record at the club again, I'll see if there is another place to position my camera.
    Thanks for the tips
    - Racket up, in front of the body
    - use a backhand grip with shots in front of the body
    - raise your elbow for more power

I will try and put these tips in place when I play next, but thanks for the help!
    Hope it helps Raising the elbow on those shots has great effect. I don't do it much myself (as I tend to let my racket hang down too far as well ) but the -technically- best player in my club does just that, and he has a killer backhand drive and a LOT of deception on those shots.

Always nice to have people active in this thread and have the guts to show themselves on video!