User Tag List

Page 97 of 128 FirstFirst ... 47 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,633 to 1,649 of 2172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Agree with Footwork, very nice to watch. Esp. with a lot of the videos here posted by Europeans, yours is a nice contrast as you play a more typical Asian style of play....like the atmosphere of the game. Seems like you're all having a lot of fun, and that's always good to see
    Haha..how do u differentiate European and asian style?I considered myself as aggressive player. Never like to lift and play lots of drives.Anyway..thanks for ur compliment

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreylee View Post
    Haha..how do u differentiate European and asian style?I considered myself as aggressive player. Never like to lift and play lots of drives.Anyway..thanks for ur compliment
    The European style of play involves a lot more pushing around the front and mid-court, more drops from the rear...generally less pace but also less lifting.
    You can see that rather clearly when there's a few Asian students at training and a German pairing plays against them...the Asians will try to play everything with a lot of power, smash a lot, play fast drives etc, while the Germans will try their best to slow down the game so they can cope with the pace
    Just generally speaking though. Of course there are Asian who play a slower, controlled game and Europeans who like to smash and play everything at a hundred miles an hour.....otoh, the most prominent MD pairings in the world show those contrasting styles very well (BoMo vs JungLee/KoLee, CaiFu,...)...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. Taped some of today's training session, and -to my dismay- discovered my editing software can't open the format my friend's camera records. So I'll have to upload the uncut 30mins and edit a bit on youtube Gonna do that tomorrow though, using University internet (the upload there is on par or even faster than my home download...). Feel free to be excited already

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of Thursday's training session. Did a few drills for Men's Doubles, starting out easy and getting more complex later. As you might see, even the simple stuff proved to be challenging for some (If you don't know me yet, I'm the tall skinny-looking guy with the black/yellow Victor shirt)
    Gonna add drill descriptions and time links in the video description later, can't summon the motivation to do so now

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the various drill descriptions and times up, if there are any question feel free to ask
    No need to point out the sometimes rather low intensity - the other guys aren't used to these kinda drills (I train in another club as well where there's more training with coaches and drills like these), and I was often rather unhappy with the lack of intensity. Even if a drill seems simple, if you don't do it right, it won't help you improve! Any other tips and improvements are very welcome, especially those regarding me

PS: Is it just me, or is the framerate rather low? The real vid is taken at 50fps and runs very very smooth, but on YT it seems a bit....jerky.
    PPS: Gotta do more weight training. My legs seem ultra-thin, despite 1-2 sessions every week. Eating more is also on my to-do list.
    Last edited by j4ckie; 01-25-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

j4ckie:
    8:10-8:20 you can see your racket position is very biased to forehand

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thibzz View Post
    Not what this thread is for.....playing=playing Badminton

amleto: Thanks, gotta keep working on that. Creeps back in from time to time, just like the low racket (although at least I have it up and ready at the net most of the time now )

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

jackie, your net shots look like they're used for singles

need to be closer to the net, especially in doubles

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    jackie, your net shots look like they're used for singles

need to be closer to the net, especially in doubles
    You mean taken closer to the net or played closer to it? And at what time, roughly? There were quite a few In some drills, it was better to play safe shots rather than close to the net as the aim wasn't tight (risky) net shots, but to sustain a rally to get the movement going (playing a very tight net shot when the opponent is supposed to lift it anyway can be a bit bothersome ).
    No idea if that was the case though, that's why the time would be helpful

Thanks for the feedback, anyway, appreciate it

Getting ready for our matches....gonna tape a bit only, and search for sth that I can edit the footage with. It's the re-matches of matches I already posted (against the 2 teams at the bottom of the division), and the opponents will probably not have gotten any better (and the matches weren't good last time -.-)...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say you look like you're getting slimmer which is a good thing! I agree it's a shame the intensity of your training was not matched by your training partners, I've experienced the same, and by the looks they got a bit better towards the end, but we used to get punished for being lazy on the overhead. The mood of the training session is set by the majority, and with half an hour on court constantly, it's all too easy to see them slowing down and follow suit. Any backhands that are unnecessary should be discouraged by the coach if he isn't doing so already . But I did see quite a lot of backhands (not so much from you). I dare say you would find the training more intensive at the end of the session if you were working on the overheads because it requires more movement.

In terms of legs, yes you could maybe do with a bit more muscle for explosiveness but you're movement is a lot better than i've previously seen. If you look at Boe/Mogensen they're a similar build, it's the asian players that tend to be bulked out, so don't worry too much. Quality not quantity i'd say when it comes to muscle.

One thing I thought, is that perhaps sometimes your follow through is a bit exaggerated, for the sake of preparation for match situations, especially when you're fast dropping you're likely to get caught out if you're still following through by a return drive or low flat lift.

What i'm suggesting is that you try and get your racquet up and ready as soon as possible, even if you don't think you need to, good habits are formed in this manner and it should reduce your errors too!
    Last edited by AimUk; 01-26-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AimUk View Post
    I was going to say you look like you're getting slimmer which is a good thing! I agree it's a shame the intensity of your training was not matched by your training partners, I've experienced the same, and by the looks they got a bit better towards the end, but we used to get punished for being lazy on the overhead. The mood of the training session is set by the majority, and with half an hour on court constantly, it's all too easy to see them slowing down and follow suit. Any backhands that are unnecessary should be discouraged by the coach if he isn't doing so already . But I did see quite a lot of backhands (not so much from you). I dare say you would find the training more intensive at the end of the session if you were working on the overheads because it requires more movement.

In terms of legs, yes you could maybe do with a bit more muscle for explosiveness but you're movement is a lot better than i've previously seen. If you look at Boe/Mogensen they're a similar build, it's the asian players that tend to be bulked out, so don't worry too much. Quality not quantity i'd say when it comes to muscle.

One thing I thought, is that perhaps sometimes your follow through is a bit exaggerated, for the sake of preparation for match situations, especially when you're fast dropping you're likely to get caught out if you're still following through by a return drive or low flat lift.

What i'm suggesting is that you try and get your racquet up and ready as soon as possible, even if you don't think you need to, good habits are formed in this manner and it should reduce your errors too!
    Thanks for the (lengthy) comment! Since that virus in August/September, I've only gained back 1 of the 8 lost kgs....so, while I may have lost some muscle in that time, I definitely lost some baggage as well, and by now I finally feel kinda fit and fluid on court again, so maybe it was for the best
    Going to the gym twice a week, doing rather explosive training for the legs and some strength and stability for the rest of the body (especially the back and shoulders, as my muscles in the upper back tend to harden and form little rather painful knots when they're overused (i.e. too much smashing, too little weight training/other exercises). And in the taped training session I found out you can't slack off on your lower back training either as I pulled a muscle at some point which got really painful later that night. :/

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to both watch the video and comment in such detail. I'll try to work on the smaller follow-through, on the other hand it throws off many opponents and is rather useful in singles that way....and even though MD is my strongest discipline, I have to play MS in team matches as well. Speaking of which, we had two today, and I managed to take some vid of the MD and MS of the first team match. The second was rather unspectacular, so I didn't regret not taping it (21-13 21-8 in the MS match....if I looked anything like I felt, I had to look very tired or very relaxed, in any case it wasn't suited to show me playing anywhere near my max ).
    I'll upload it elsewhere again, perhaps tomorrow, otherwise Monday...

PS: I watched a few videos about Badminton at the Exeter University yesterday. You wouldn't happen to be in them, would you? I saw a certain left-hander who looked suspiciously like you in the background a few times... Don't understand why they focussed so much on the Asian kid, he played rather unspectacularly imop. Kinda tense in the left arm and gifting away quite some reach by not extending the right....but for all I know that was then and he'd wipe the floor with me now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, well yes that may well have been me, that video was done 2 years ago and took about a year for the stupid filmer to produce it. Yes he was, but basically there was about 20 minutes of him doing that training constantly for the producer to get about 2 minutes of shooting time. He was absoluetely knackered, I don't know why he didn't put either myself or the girl in to give him a rest but we found it hilarious because he was exhausted at the end. He has probably got better, but I haven't seen him for best part of a year now, don't know what he's up to these days regarding badminton! I do miss the constant training you get at university, it's so much easier to improve when your working hours are more flexible and you get far more practise time for peanuts in cost.

My aim is to do something similar to what you have done, get really ill, lose some weight /muscle and get back to hard training before I go to some bigger tournaments in easter time. I've got a big training session in 2 weeks that i'll try and get some drill footage of too!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AimUk View Post
    Haha, well yes that may well have been me, that video was done 2 years ago and took about a year for the stupid filmer to produce it. Yes he was, but basically there was about 20 minutes of him doing that training constantly for the producer to get about 2 minutes of shooting time. He was absoluetely knackered, I don't know why he didn't put either myself or the girl in to give him a rest but we found it hilarious because he was exhausted at the end. He has probably got better, but I haven't seen him for best part of a year now, don't know what he's up to these days regarding badminton! I do miss the constant training you get at university, it's so much easier to improve when your working hours are more flexible and you get far more practise time for peanuts in cost.

My aim is to do something similar to what you have done, get really ill, lose some weight /muscle and get back to hard training before I go to some bigger tournaments in easter time. I've got a big training session in 2 weeks that i'll try and get some drill footage of too!
    Haha, no need to get ill - just basically stop eating for a week From what I've experienced British food isn't all that well-suited to losing weight either But it's way easier to lose the weight the 'normal' way rather than by getting sick, because it took me nearly a month to get back to a decent fitness level - that adds up to 7 weeks of no or really bad badminton. Personally, I'll rather eat less and do a bit more cardio
    Matches went well for me, lost the first MD - while the opponents were strong, helping out although they usually play 1 and 2 divisions higher respectively, I'm confident I could've won the match with a decently quick partner. As it was, it was a good try, but after a close first game (20-22) we lost the second quite clearly. Won all matches after that, pairing up with my usual partner for the second MD match (he didn't play the first because of his slightly injured shoulder, didn't want to smash as much as he would've had to).
    Gonna go to Uni to upload both MD and MS of the first team match now didn't tape anything in the second match though. My matches were rather clear in our favor and the MS match was only challenging because my doubles partner bet me I couldn't keep my opponent under 10 in the 2nd game

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I taped yesterday: first two are of the MD match, starting at 11-10 in the first game (funny scoreline - 2-6 to 10-6 to 10-10...). Lost it 20-22 and sth-21, second game was decidedly clearer as you can see. Let them get away to a 6-1 lead in the beginning and never managed to get back in touch, the closest we got was 2 or 3 points away...
    Third video is of my MS match, which started of rather weird. Converted a 5-11 and 7-14 into a 21-19 win in the first, and only started taping after that (so you see the much more in-control 2nd game here). Have to say I didn't quite stay as intense as when I chased after him at 7-14, but it was a decent game.

I don't know how clearly you can see it, but the ceiling was incredibly low in this hall. You couldn't even clear properly during warm-up, and as a result all matches were played rather offensively as you couldn't slow the game down with clears or lifts. They also didn't drop even close to vertically, so you could take the shuttle like 20cm in front of the line even when the clear/lift was great (close to the ceiling, right on the line).
    As I pulled a back muscle in Thursday's training session, I played all matches with a back support and a compression shirt over that. Not sure how obvious it is but I was a bit stiff in my lower back and couldn't turn into shots as much, especially smashes.

Shed a tear for my brave Bs12 which died in the second MD game - it fought well and brought me many victories. Too bad someone wanted to take my shot

MD1

MS2

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Good shot @ 3:59 in MD2. If in doubt, roof out!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ceiling was an error...and the rings were a bit too small to hit consciously....at least in a pressure situation