User Tag List

Page 98 of 128 FirstFirst ... 48 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... LastLast
Results 1,650 to 1,666 of 2172
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some MD matches from Monday's training session - imop better than the league match. Kinda sorta proud of some jump smashes as they are slowly starting to actually look like jump smashes Still need some more height on them, though - need more time for the preparation to actually hit them at the highest point...just like always, any feedback is appreciated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definately heard scheiße at 4 minutes in the second game being whispered somewhere, made me laugh- was it you? Potty mouth whoever it was. Thats about all the productive comments you'll get from me this time in the evening, i'll have a watch properly tomorrow
    Last edited by AimUk; 01-31-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

tbh, didnt see too many jump smashes...

one thing that comes to mind is your short service return... quite often they are within your opponents' comfortable racket reach. you're toeing the line in receiving and you have long arms so should be able to produce good challenging returns.

i know it's easier said than done and i'm sure you already know this ... but the best returns you should aim for is block to the net, brush to the mid alleys past the server, or tap with some pace towards the body of the server's partner at the back.

when you do this, you'll get weak replies which you can start pounding down

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't say there were many, did I? The 2 or 3 that are there seem better to me than any I recorded earlier. Hit the gym twice since then to continue that particular trend

And yeah, I know which returns are the best, but it's always a different thing to know it and to actually implement it, especially when the serve is varied as much as it is here (one of the guys using many flicks and one having a rather unpredictable -even to him- short serve ). I'll work on that a bit more, though, seeing as I fancy myself as a rather net-oriented doubles player...also sorta kinda proud of keeping my racket up most of the time. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to change that habit of dropping it to your ankles!
    Well, thanks for the feedback. Always good to know someone watched it, and with enough attention to actually comment

AimUK: Tbh, I couldn't hear Scheiße around 4:00 - someone WAS complaining in the background, but I couldn't understand it. Tons of words with 'ei' in German though, so it could've been something a bit more innocent
    In any case, it wasn't me. Most of my annoyed ranting was too quiet to be caught by the camera, and I'm rather glad my comments on my own service errors weren't!

EDIT: Just noticed you meant the second vid. Ya, that was me Annoyed I had to try the trickshot there instead of just lifting....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My single match from yesterday, after a while ^^

I am the yellow guy
    What strikes me is that I don't split step at all O_O. I was tired but still xD. And ofc many unnecessary mistakes
    Feel free to comment ^^

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well after watching the first game I can only agree that there are quite a few unnessecary mistakes
    I think footwork should be your highest priority right now, as your big advantage over any opponent will be your ability to change direction rather quickly and flawed footwork (especially the missing split-step) will rob you of that advantage. Also you'll want to avoid high clears as much as possible against tall players in singles - your defense isn't so great when he's got that extra time (your reflexes seem to be good, but often you just can't cover the distance needed to defend cross shots or steep drops).

A good way to go about that would be to play lots of attacking clears and low lifts/pushes down the line - unless your oppenent has a lethal interception (this one lacks any explosiveness, so it should be rather effective against him). To mix it up and keep them from anticipating this early, you should work on all shots you can do from the short corners - net shots, flat pushes, lifts, both longline and crosscourt. If you can hold the shot as long as possible he'll either be rooted to his base position or move early, in which case you might be able to wrong-foot him by playing the shuttle elsewhere.

Putting in a jumped crosscourt clear from time to time is also a nice way to fool your opponent, as most tend to lean forward in a defensive stance when you jump up, and are unable to change direction quickly to take that clear in a controlled manner (in the best case, it's a direct point, usually, they'll end up playing a low-quality shot that you can capitalize on).

To further increase your movement speed and overall capabilities, some weight training for the legs would be helpful - if you can jump well, your opponents will always be weary of that, as it enables you to intercept flat shots very well. Squats, calf raises, and machine trainings for the quadriceps and biceps would be a good start. Rope skipping as well.

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki2104 View Post
    My single match from yesterday, after a while ^^

I am the yellow guy
    What strikes me is that I don't split step at all O_O. I was tired but still xD. And ofc many unnecessary mistakes
    Feel free to comment ^^
    I watched about 10 minutes or so of the middle video. I don't see much wrong with your speed or footwork to be honest. The biggest problem you had in the game was that you didn't move your opponent into he rearcourt anywhere near enough or deep enough. But a good length clear to the back a few times to the same corner. If its a good length clear then his smash won't be a problem to defend from back there. You just need to be ready in mind for the drop shot. Because you weren't playing enough to the rearcourt you were on the run most of the time and so didn't get chance to get back to base and splitdrop out to next shot. I would suggest you stop the backhand low serving for a while and use forehand high serve. It will give you more time and the shuttle will be coming at you instead of having to always dig it out of the rearcourt corners all the time. You might find yourself defending smashes a little more and getting caught by the occassional dropshot but you will have more time to engage your brain and play more intelligently and might even play more deceptively. He can't hurt you with a smash thats coming from the rear tramline, I promise!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the latest video of a MD training match - using N90 and N90II in this, as I did on Saturday in the league matches. During warmup (on Saturday), I somehow twisted my back, which resulted in really bad back pain (probably dislodging a vertebrae). I managed to get it under control by trying to get it back in place and then relaxing the cramped muscles, but as we had already filled out the match record (or whatever it's called), I couldn't step out anymore. As a result I had to compete.
    We lost the opening MD match, as I was still distracted by the pain, unable to smash at more than 30-40% and my partner didn't exactly bring his A-game either and one of the opponents was really, really strong. In the following MS match, I switched from my Braveswords to the N90, as I couldn't rotate my upper body and though a heavier racket might help me get a tad more power. Apparently, it worked out as I managed to win the match in 3 games - despite dominating the first and controlling most of the 2nd game, I had a string of errors and could only save 3 of 4 game points. I got very nervous when we approached the end of the 3rd (having had a few painful shots during the game), but managed to convert a 18-14 lead to a 21-19 win on the 2nd match point.

Well, after that, I used the N90 for the following MD match (which was super easy as we played against an injured player - they had tactically put him in the 1st MD to have a chance in the 2nd as they knew us to have a very strong 1st MD) and Monday's training. As you can see, I was still not back to full mobility and had some muscle pain from time to time, but I'm feeling much better now and am confident I can return to normal training next week (i.e. my usual 3-4 sessions+weight training).

A thicker grip on the N90 seemed to help with drives and defense. Will try to get used to it on a more permanent basis as the ease of playing clears and the attacking power are quite brilliant, as is the control from the rear court.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just one little remark this time:
    jump to minute 19. concentrate on where the racket of the front court player is (either you or your partner!)! @min 20 or so, you perform a (decent) short serve and your racket drops. 2 times...

you're tall, you have good anticipation, but you need to be more prepared with your racket held up high. that's the split second between intersepting the shuttle at the net and letting it through...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    just one little remark this time:
    jump to minute 19. concentrate on where the racket of the front court player is (either you or your partner!)! @min 20 or so, you perform a (decent) short serve and your racket drops. 2 times...

you're tall, you have good anticipation, but you need to be more prepared with your racket held up high. that's the split second between intersepting the shuttle at the net and letting it through...
    Thanks. It's a really ingrained habit I'm trying to get rid of...and it's hard. But thanks to you guys I'm at least on my way of improving that and have my racket up sometimes instead of never

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Men's Singles

Men's singles. I am in red shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tarRb...ature=youtu.be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Men's Singles. Me in yellow shirt.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say you could improve your overhead technique a lot - need to strike earlier, be more sideways, elbow further out, body rotation.

Footwork is another area that you would be able to improve on and see significant benefits imo.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singles from one of the two matches last Saturday - last league matches this season! To this minute, I can't get over the point at 20-18 in the first game, where I smash it out, and am the only one in the hall to notice....while I have the right to feel very sportsmanlike for telling my opponent, it feels crappy as hell that I lost that game and -eventually- the match. That I got sick only a few hours later is no excuse either.
    Still, technically, this is one of my best league singles matches yet. It wasn't very enjoyable though as the opposing team is absolutely the worst in the league concerning sportsmanship and fairness (yelling in delight when they manage to hit you with the shuttle, not greeting you back when you arrive in the hall,....).
    Gonna upload the doubles match tomorrow, it's even tighter than my singles and proves my point (my singles match was by far the calmest and fairest, tbh I can't complain about my opponent's behaviour in that match).
    Using the N70 that day (as I did in training that week).

For those who don't know me yet, I'm the one in black with green shoes.
    Last edited by j4ckie; 03-04-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your racket ready position is hurting your backhand defense - I think you could be a lot more counter attacking/dangerous from your b/h if you gave yourself the chance to hit it earlier

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean more to my left and a bit higher?
    For those just wanting a peek - good rallies at 6:00-6:40, 7:35, and my favorite at 8:09
    Last edited by j4ckie; 03-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, thats what I mean - should help with your doubles, too