User Tag List

Page 102 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2 52 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,718 to 1,734 of 2128
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post

Anyhow, hope this helps
    Very good shots to film, btw. I'll try and do the same in training some time soon - let's see if I'm actually doing it any better at all or if it's all just in my head
    ahhh, you've put my head in a spin now! In the BH side I'm really trying to show a straight shot mainly by my body rotation before the strike. So in this sense I don't mind if the straight slice looks like it will be a straight slice. But you say I have good XC swing there :S well, if I'm confused then there's a good chance my oppo will be too

I will try to work on where my racket hand sits in prep. It should be easy to bring it back and up whilst keeping my upper arm in line with shoulders. This should also shorten my total swing action which should help me in general I think, so thanks for pointing it out!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    ahhh, you've put my head in a spin now! In the BH side I'm really trying to show a straight shot mainly by my body rotation before the strike. So in this sense I don't mind if the straight slice looks like it will be a straight slice. But you say I have good XC swing there :S well, if I'm confused then there's a good chance my oppo will be too

I will try to work on where my racket hand sits in prep. It should be easy to bring it back and up whilst keeping my upper arm in line with shoulders. This should also shorten my total swing action which should help me in general I think, so thanks for pointing it out!
    Well as I said I wasn't entirely sure which shot was supposed to be the disguised one, but both were looking different. Imop it's most effective to train two shots from the back which look the same - one hit as it looks, one disguised. So it shouldn't be two slices as a slice is usually used deceptively with a couple exceptions.
    For the swing preparation, have a closer look at Gade, who was also one of the most deceptive players out there. He has a very 'modern' preparation as opposed to some other players like Lin Dan who employ a bigger swing which is more similar to the hitting action heavier rackets required. At least according to one of my coaches, the PG preparation is the one to aim for

Good luck! Let's see if I get motivated enough to set up a camera tomorrow - and a willing partner to feed me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that due to the nature of sports halls that badminton is played in England (typically lower ceilings and slippery dusty polished floors at most local clubs) then the game that is most effective is low faster paced shots. Again maybe pure coincidence but myself and Chris Coles (not that i'm in the same league as him) both play more doubles than singles, and are both quite tall (think he's also about 6'2-3).

Yes, I totally agree I get caught up in the pace side of things, but I must say I do enjoy that, as i'm not a light build and prefer the power play, compared to these uber skinny sub 65kg chaps who can outrun me on a court all day long. (I'm 88kg for reference). May well be doing some specific singles training sessions over the summer to focus on my B-Game plan for this exact reason. Thanks for your comments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister videoed me playing singles (couple of points) at today's Badminton England Essex Gold tournament:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noticed tonight, former world no 5 MD Yee Guan Yap makes a cameo at the end

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msitpro View Post
    My sister videoed me playing singles (couple of points) at today's Badminton England .....]
    Most obvious thing is footwork and balance is inefficient. Looks like you have the rhythm but it's not helping much because of the inefficiency.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd game from my match at the recent 2013 SKYCITY New Zealand Grand Prix. Round or 64 main draw against A Malaysian player named Jiann Shiarng Chiang. Straight up he was better than me, my strategy (or lack therefore of) didn't work against him. Can't complain and am happy with what I was able to do against him given the difference. Just gonna keep on training and working hard.

I played the Tahiti International Challenge after this tournament and made it to Quarterfinals eventually loosing to Matthieu Lo Ying Ping, but was unable to capture any video footage of my matches =/ Got a nice amount of ranking points for that finish though and am incredibly happy with how I played in Tahiti.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...738A15C&draw=1

Last edited by nbonkowsky; 05-06-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Most obvious thing is footwork and balance is inefficient. Looks like you have the rhythm but it's not helping much because of the inefficiency.
    Can you elaborate? Am I taking too many small steps? Not powerful enough strides/lunges?

What about balance? Stay in an upright posture more of the time?? Pro singles players seem to be stood up rather than squatting most of the time.

I'm aiming to get in the top 60-80 in England or so for singles by this time next year after not playing singles since 17 before this year. Now 25 Leg muscle power is something I need to seriously work on if I'm then to go higher than that.

The guy I lost to in this match is around the 70 mark. 15 & 11, which was disappointing in one way because a couple of months ago lost to him 16 & 14 and was up in both games. However I was playing with NR700's which limited me to a defensive game. Switched to heavier racquets for singles recently and this was the first match I felt I was actually able to win a point against players of this calibre and not just stay in the point until they lose it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

msitpro, it doesnt matter what racket you play. at all. a player with a right technique can smash way better with arc7 than a weaker player with vtzf.
    your footwork is very chaotic and wrong, basically. if you have a coach, it is he who should point that out to you in the first place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swunk View Post
    msitpro, it doesnt matter what racket you play. at all. a player with a right technique can smash way better with arc7 than a weaker player with vtzf.
    your footwork is very chaotic and wrong, basically. if you have a coach, it is he who should point that out to you in the first place.
    Well personally at the moment my smash in singles lacks penetration AND accuracy with head-light racquets.
    There must also be a reason pro singers players tend to favour very head heavy designs, check look at the Chinese, take an N90 then add more weight to the top with athletic tape (LD and CL) I'm not saying the reason is purely smashing either, I feel it helps myself concentrate on the technique of the shot, such as drops, and now worry so much about pace of shot.

On the foodwork side, that's the result of virtually zero footwork coaching until the age of 24...!! Unfortunately that's the state of how things were in my area when I was a junior.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swunk View Post
    come on, his footworjk isn't that bad. and it's definetely not basically wrong!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well compare it to the right one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k2SERV89Kw

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, there's something in between "basically wrong" and LCW...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's definitely not very smooth. And some things just look wrong, but I can't really put my finger on why....the long forehand corner always looks weird to me.
    As with many things, repetition is key. Make sure your coach supervises your footwork drills frequently, as he'll need to correct errors before they become too ingrained.
    It's not basically wrong, though

As with AimUK, I notice a certain lack of soft shots Then again, you only uploaded 2 rallies. Not very much to base any helpful comments on, tbh. If the upload speed is what keeps you from uploading more, you could just decrease the resolution - no one needs an above-1080p A good 720p should suffice.
    Last edited by j4ckie; 05-06-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not perfectly smooth, but it's far away from "basically wrong"!! this guys not a beginner with major flaws as the poster above implies...

and of yourse he doesn't show any soft shots! he's from the UK...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long forehand you don't make the "switch" jump, I think that's why it looks a bit strange and you could win some power/speed on that one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know there's a conversation/theme running in your comments in the thread RE: UK/european singles style although overheads in that rally seem to be half drops and half smashes....

I didn't know my sister was videoing it at all until I'd finished, that's all I have I'm afraid. View of the whole court inc. opponent would have been nice.