User Tag List

Page 103 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3 53 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,735 to 1,751 of 2177
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Long forehand you don't make the "switch" jump, I think that's why it looks a bit strange and you could win some power/speed on that one.
    I think I know what you mean, more explosive and rotate through the shot onto my racquet foot?

TBH that's the kind of thing we've been learning, but it was 9.15 am, I'd just driven for an hour, 10 mins warm up and my legs felt like they were elsewhere

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having watched it with a keen eye again, I can put my finger on some things
    The shot at 0:22 in the first vid looks super weird to me. Happens. Other than that - you often have a bit of time in the forehand corner, but waste it by remaining on your left foot for longer than necessary to kick your right leg down as you hit. That's just right if you don't have time to do more (resulting in a quick recovery), but if you do have the time, get your right foot down first and push off through the shot with/without a jump.
    Also, your left arm is kinda limp a good part of the time. Especially in the front corners. Try to raise it and hold it back to act as a counterweight to your racket arm. It helps keeping your balance in those front corners and makes it a tad easier to get out of those lunges.
    As a reference, I'd recommend watching some WS. It's usually a bit boring, but for pretty much all of us it's actually more helpful than watching the elite male athletes (no one here can do LCW's footwork!).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're probably right on the back right corner. I think what I try and do is hold my body position for a split second, stabilize myself so as to make more shots available and be slightly more deceptive.... but that might be the opposite of what it's doing if I'm not getting behind the shuttle instead...

I'll also keep the left arm in mind during training, thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msitpro View Post
    Just noticed tonight, former world no 5 MD Yee Guan Yap makes a cameo at the end
    Yee Guan Yap was world no 5? I can't find much info about his past ranking on bwf or be. Just wondering because he partnered my coach over the weekend

I managed to catch the MD finals yesterday which was good to watch, although a little one sided towards the end. I even filmed it too, might put it on youtube later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant01 View Post
    Yee Guan Yap was world no 5? I can't find much info about his past ranking on bwf or be. Just wondering because he partnered my coach over the weekend

I managed to catch the MD finals yesterday which was good to watch, although a little one sided towards the end. I even filmed it too, might put it on youtube later.
    Eddie Chow is your coach? I saw they lost to Baczala/Adamson in the semis.

That would be good to see as I wasn't there yesterday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Eddie has been my coach for a few months now. It sounded like he had an off day yesterday plus he's had injury problems, but I won't make excuses for him

Sure I can upload the finals, although I'm not sure if this would be the right place to post it. Otherwise I'll pm you the links.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Eddie has been my coach for a few months now. It sounded like he had an off day yesterday plus he's had injury problems, but I won't make excuses for him

Sure I can upload the finals, although I'm not sure if this would be the right place to post it. Otherwise I'll pm you the links.
    Well, the pair they lost to are very strong. Yes I've heard he has injury issues, lost to him and Nic Fan at Cambs Silver, 17 in the 3rd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so as I mentioned earlier, this isn't me playing. But it would be good to get some comments on their play style/techniques since it's the sort of level that I hope to reach one day!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the foodwork side, that's the result of virtually zero footwork coaching until the age of 24...!! Unfortunately that's the state of how things were in my area when I was a junior.
    Actually, your footwork doesn't seem "so wrong". You have the speed and your movements were quite explosive, those I've been struggling for the last few months to get into. I think you were just playing too tight and rushing all over the corners, maybe it's a good idea to bring down the game speed by doing more high deep clears to spare a bit more time. I know it's difficult but once you are able to adjust and control the pace of your game, you can play with more confidence and relaxed. Not sure if this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the camera angle makes it difficult to judge how msitropo is playing. His shot selection and the quality of the opponent can make his footwork seem rushed.

Hard to say but I think too many shots were attacking in response to the opponent being in control of the rally, when more use of defensive clears may have been a better option to slow it down and reset the play.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so as I mentioned earlier, this isn't me playing. But it would be good to get some comments on their play style/techniques since it's the sort of level that I hope to reach one day!

well, joel gayle is former UK-juniors champion. the level of these guys is extremely high, i'd call it semi-professional.
    obv, they get all the basics right, they're very fit and fast and play well tactically.

don't know how good you are, but to reach this standard, a lot of work (and talent) is involved...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    well, joel gayle is former UK-juniors champion. the level of these guys is extremely high, i'd call it semi-professional.
    obv, they get all the basics right, they're very fit and fast and play well tactically.

don't know how good you are, but to reach this standard, a lot of work (and talent) is involved...
    It's a decent goal Not quite aiming for the stars like wanting to play international, but aiming for a pretty high standard. I spotted a few 'weaknesses' even in these guys so you don't have to be quite perfect to get there Anyhow, nice match, and nothing I would've stumbled over on YT by myself.

But still, it's rather stiff competition - I taped some MD in training last night and I fear it may not be of quite the same quality

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know there's a conversation/theme running in your comments in the thread RE: UK/european singles style although overheads in that rally seem to be half drops and half smashes....

I didn't know my sister was videoing it at all until I'd finished, that's all I have I'm afraid. View of the whole court inc. opponent would have been nice.
    It does look uncontrolled and here are some general principles.

1) When you play a lift and waiting to receive, your feet are not square enough. Usually, in singles for such a position, the legs are wide apart with the right foot slightly closer to the net. The body is face on square. You are not doing this so the twisting and turning is a large movement and quite laboured.

2) referring to 1), your body posture can be improved. You are quite upright so when you go down for low shots, you have to lurch. Thinking about crouching down more when getting in the ready position. Use a slow step and time it so that you bounce when the opponent hits the shuttle.

3) when going for low shots in the forecourt, it looks inefficient even though the basic steps look OK. Why? Slow down the video and it becomes noticable. Quite a few times, you will plant your leading foot, then swing and strike the shuttle. i.e. mistime. The body slows to a stop. Then you'll need a lot of strength in the leading leg to push back to recover. It's difficult to use 'recoil' to recover - you get tired more easily. Practice hitting the shuttle at the same time as putting the leading foot on the ground.

4) Your positioning on closing areas down on the court can be improved but I think it's partly due to the weakness described in point 3). Let's say the shuttle has gone behind you to the back court and you play the shot to the net. You then rush forward to cover the forecourt. You have moved too much to the mid court. By going so far forward, opponent can now play to four corners of the court equally. You have to cover so much more area. If you only move forward to the net one step, there is a big space at the front of the court. But you can anticipate better that's the space where the shuttle is going to be played. So then you put 70-80% anticipation towards the forecourt. It makes it easier to run to and easier to concentrate to make more quality on the next shot.
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-07-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nbonkowsky View Post
    2nd game from my match at the recent 2013 SKYCITY New Zealand Grand Prix. Round or 64 main draw against A Malaysian player named Jiann Shiarng Chiang. Straight up he was better than me, my strategy (or lack therefore of) didn't work against him. Can't complain and am happy with what I was able to do against him given the difference. Just gonna keep on training and working hard.

I played the Tahiti International Challenge after this tournament and made it to Quarterfinals eventually loosing to Matthieu Lo Ying Ping, but was unable to capture any video footage of my matches =/ Got a nice amount of ranking points for that finish though and am incredibly happy with how I played in Tahiti.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...738A15C&draw=1
    What do you do for sparring practice? Do you get good quality opponents?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two MD matches in yesterday's training, switching partners after the first. 2 different levels of players on court, but mixing it up was enough to get 2 very decent matches. Too bad the last game was cut off - I remember at least one spectacular rally on my part, but I had already taped my warm-up and the MS match against my stronger opponent (which I lost in 3 games - although he really should've won in 2) and the memory card was full as a result.
    Pretty warm conditions, btw...summer is coming The hall is isolated pretty badly so with some sunshine it easily heats up. I'd say about 27-30C yesterday. Looking forward to the summer as I prefer playing in warm or hot conditions with fast shuttles and a lower risk of injury as compared to the winter where we often have less than 18C (in the hall).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    What do you do for sparring practice? Do you get good quality opponents?

Unfortunately there are only a few people here who beat me constantly and some of them that do we will have 3 gamers so its not like they destroy me. In all honesty if I really want to go further and improve my skill/level I have to move away and go somewhere else to train.

The only problem with that is money, if I move somewhere I have to pay for living, training, find a job and all that. Here in Calgary I train 7 days a week, 4 days in group lessons with top provincial and national players and then 3 days of either private lessons or having people feed me shuttles. That all coupled with fitness and weights. But yes I do need somewhere else to go its just that tough cycle so I am looking into what to do come January 2014 as I will be finished my 2nd and 3rd degrees by then. So will have a lot more time to focus on just badminton you could say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops sorry..
    Last edited by AimUk; 05-09-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Double posti