User Tag List

Page 104 of 128 FirstFirst ... 4 54 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,752 to 1,768 of 2172
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ant01

This may be a little specific to one player on these courts but I know Mr Baczala we see each other maybe a few times am onth (he's from my home county and I go to the a local club he's at). Nice to see him giving it 100%, usually we get to play social doubles with him but he rarely goes all out, certainly not with me, but I have taken a set off him before I know he lost in this one but I agree with your sentiments, he's one of these people who has a very natural talent it seems.

I can ask Ollie next time I see him what he does for training (he probably won't give me too many details) but I'm pretty sure it's a 7 day a week thing, he came runner up in the U19 Nationals a few weeks ago- apparently alot of people were complaining he could just hit it harder than everyone else, not helping the UK hard hitters cause I know. But it does sound great when he hits a smash.

I think it's a good target to aim for this level of play but you will need a good years worth of training regime to get near to it and a solid base from which to start off, and you do need a level of training partners / practise matches to get that level. I may be getting some coaching from his coach too in the near future as I'm a 20 minute drive from where he does his stuff, he's a clever bloke and i'm a good acquaintance with him. So when I do get any more info I'll try to keep you posted. Thanks for posting the video anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is not a game video, just a video of me practicing multi feed shuttle...could not upload it on you tube (as it is banned here..)...feel free to comment if any room for improvement found in anybody's view...

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...ideo_processed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant01 View Post
    Ok so as I mentioned earlier, this isn't me playing. But it would be good to get some comments on their play style/techniques since it's the sort of level that I hope to reach one day!

Second vid, smash defence at 8:15....that's taking the p*ss
    Last edited by HappySachs; 05-18-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm in red.

Foottwork *tsk*tsk

Last edited by Cheung; 05-18-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old school! Both the scoring system and your opponent's look
    At first glance you seem to play the high BH an awful lot - and make quite a few errors with it. Otoh I don't know how explosive you can be (i.e. if you can play those one-jump round-the-head interceptions) and how long you had played before this....I certainly take quite a few shots with the BH as well after 2 hours

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Old school! Both the scoring system and your opponent's look
    At first glance you seem to play the high BH an awful lot - and make quite a few errors with it. Otoh I don't know how explosive you can be (i.e. if you can play those one-jump round-the-head interceptions) and how long you had played before this....I certainly take quite a few shots with the BH as well after 2 hours
    Haha. Yes. Old school. It was bloody tiring as my opponent had only recently retired from playing international level singles. The level of accuracy and consistency of his shots puts a lot of pressure on me. Unfortunately, not vice versa. ( I find these guys meet the shuttle earlier and it's much harder to close down the court. i.e. narrow the angles to predict the next shot. I guess that's what you get when against a professional and an amateur.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Haha. Yes. Old school. It was bloody tiring as my opponent had only recently retired from playing international level singles. The level of accuracy and consistency of his shots puts a lot of pressure on me. Unfortunately, not vice versa. ( I find these guys meet the shuttle earlier and it's much harder to close down the court. i.e. narrow the angles to predict the next shot. I guess that's what you get when against a professional and an amateur.
    Yeah I know how that feels....there are a couple guys around that I just find deeply uncomfortable to play against, as I struggle to read their shots. I use the high BH a lot more against them, as I can't really close the back corners against them. More explosive legs would be so great....

Chances are you'll be able to see me struggle just the same very soon...there's a (local) tournament in June coming up, and feeling ambitious I decided to play A (though I'm still eligible to play B)...hopefully I'll meet one of the better guys while I can still move, and be able to tape the match...
    Looking at the preliminary draw, I have chances of advancing past the group stage in singles, but doubles will be quite tough. A couple semi-professionals attending there.....gonna be interesting to see how we match up.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in red.

Foottwork *tsk*tsk

[video=youtube_share;qEQhDqFDruM]http://youtu.be/qEQhDqFDruM[video]
    I will make small comment on footwork in your last rally where you get pushed to deep forehand corner. You try to recover with one step, but if you watch pro footwork, they will always take a small step first. random vid from 10s - see NTM @ 14s, LD at 23s. I have also found that this smaller first recovery step is useful.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    I will make small comment on footwork in your last rally where you get pushed to deep forehand corner. You try to recover with one step, but if you watch pro footwork, they will always take a small step first. random vid from 10s - see NTM @ 14s, LD at 23s. I have also found that this smaller first recovery step is useful.
    I have no idea whatsoever what vid you're referring to

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    I have no idea whatsoever what vid you're referring to
    oh crap! lemme find it

Last edited by amleto; 05-19-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Cheung

Looks like he got at least 8 points off your backhand deep corner, something you need to work on...

And did anyone tell you, you look like Liu XiaoLong's twin, at least in the video?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HappySachs View Post
    Second vid, smash defence at 8:15....that's taking the p*ss
    Haha that's awesome.

Victor and Joel won again yesterday :-/

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    @Cheung

Looks like he got at least 8 points off your backhand deep corner, something you need to work on...

And did anyone tell you, you look like Liu XiaoLong's twin, at least in the video?
    yup. It's my 1st step preparation that kills the whole shot. I don't step back far enough with the left leg and then my right leg plants in the wrong position. Twin? Hey, cool except I'll be from a different millennium (

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in red.

Foottwork *tsk*tsk

Really gotta try to get more round the head shots instead of backhand!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Really gotta try to get more round the head shots instead of backhand!
    Yup. But do you how exhausting it was? LOL. He can play to all four corners equally and those shots are so consistent. Me, as a player, felt like the court was twice as big as it usually was at my end and much smaller at his end! Changing ends didn't work either...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheung, don't be too hard on yourself. This guy was a professional badminton player?!

Heck, he might be better than you on the badminton court, but he's probaby lousy at Mallampati class IV rapid sequence intubation.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Cheung

Here, an animated gif is worth a thousand words, and we can all learn from the best.

Please note the footwork into the corner, the lunge and planted racket foot (at strike to maximize weight transfer), the rotation on the non racket foot (to accommodate hip and shoulder turn), the pronation in preparation, the supination to strike, and the whip like looseness of the whole arm.

Last edited by visor; 05-20-2013 at 02:48 AM.