Men's Doubles or (Wo)Men's Doubles?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Oldhand, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Here's an interesting article from The Oxford Times of 9 April 2009 :)

Colts & Co., an Oxford-based club fielded a woman on their men's doubles team. This 'mixed' MD team went on to thrash their opponents. And, surely enough, the losers are complaining :p

2. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

o_O
    a woman playing as a man? :eek: dat reminds me of the manga Ouran High School Host club

Important rule in XD: Dont underestimate the girl as she has the possibility of beating u BADLY!! :p
    n now dey r complaining cuz lost to a girl =.=

From my point of view, since Colts&Co had onli one man available and dey could not find another available man, dey had to bring in the next available player who was the girl to prevent a match default.
    i think both clubs should agree to the game of MDvsXD b4 its played to avoid complaints

3. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    If I was the chairperson or whoever is making the decision regarding this case, my decision would be as follows:

If there is nothing in the rules against a girl playing in Men's Doubles, then it stands to reason that it is allowed.

Since the match was played, it stands to reason that the other team had no objections. If the other team had won, would they have complained? They only complained after the fact that they had lost.

My ruling would be that there was no foul play and that the results stay the same. However, there needs to be amending to the rules, clarifying that Men's Doubles are just for Men so that this situation will not happen again. This also goes for Women's Doubles being played by only Women.

4. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

True, since the game was played, both teams should have agreed to the match beforehand..
    just a case of bad losers who cant accept their loss (especially to a girl:p)

well, i guess we could expect some rule changes regarding men's and women's doubles 's participants

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    In our club, there's this mixed doubles pair who usually plays against men's doubles. Well, they're not bad. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't. But they make sure that they put up a good fight.

Usually, I had to come up with a different strategy when playing with them, as I'd rather force the girl to go to the rear court. They can be challenging to play with as you'd think more rather than rely solely on power.

But during tournaments, I'd rather they play in their category. Not because I'm afraid to lose, but it's just that they're style is different.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree with others, as if there's no objection prior to the game, then the result should stand.

Due to lack of participation, I did saw a few times that junior players have to join the regular flight, or ladies need to participate in men's events, if they choose to stay in the tournament, instead of being left behind.

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I've never seen anything like that in competitive play.

As said by others above, IMO the result should stand and good on the XD pair for winning.

8. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

The rules against it is implicit in the title of the competition. Its like how theres no rules against taking a speedboat to a swimming contest.

9. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

What is the BWF rule regarding XDvsMD in lieu of MDvsMD?

10. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    IMHO, this is purely a loser's complain.
    A sored loser has always been able to find excuses here and there but this one seems a little bit absurd.
    My cheap advice: train harder next time.

11. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    It sounds really dodgy that in a badminton club they couldn't find any man to fill that one place.
    If they can't make a male team then they should forfeit or let the juniors have a game.

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Bumping it again although old.

I agree with [MENTION=10441]Andy05[/MENTION] that its a dodgy case. furthermore, the woman is a good player. I think it's the case where the man they can field sucks so bad so they bring a woman who is a good player.

And for this case, I think although it should be agreed before hand or prevented, there is no wrong in doing a retro punishment. Just like in football where Real Madrid were thrown out of the Copa Del Ray because they field ineligible players and similar cases.

13. JamesP

JamesP Regular Member

Personally I think if a woman is good enough to play with the boys let them. Years ago I was in a tournament where they let a women's double team play in Men's Doubles. The reason was they were the top women's doubles team in Canada at the time. My partner and I lost to them but I didn't think twice about them not being allowed to play. They could have played in the Women's Doubles draw but they would have cleaned up easily. If you look at Top International Mixed Doubles play the woman are very close to the skill level of the men. I think we should be forward thinking as a sport and allow this. I say equal rights for equal skill. :)