High smashes, drives, attacking clears

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by invisbear, Apr 9, 2009.

1. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    Hi, I play badminton mainly for fun, me and my mates I play are about
    lower intemediate level the most (well we are beginners in terms of technique and footwork, but we can beat beginners easily if you know what I mean).

In singles, what is the best way to counter High smashes or drives? well they are the smashes or drives that land very close to the doubles or back line due to our poor technique. I really hate these and can't return these well especially they use it to return my long deep serve. In fact all of us can't return these well.

Should I blame my footwork, or is it because the nylon shuttles we use are too fast? Is it better to practice footwork with slow (e.g.greencap mavis)?

2. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    high there,

sounds like your solution is single. i coach alot of beginners in our uni club.

one of the best comments and tips i can get is
    'keep your racket up'.

alot of beginners dont realise but they always lower their rackets below the height of the net and have to raise it agen as the shuttle comes of the net, by this time it is too late and ur going to have to strike the shuttle as its coming down below net height again and concede the attck.

simply just keep ur racket up and u can play any attacking shot to a shot that is hit above net height.
    a high smash shud be punished...and if ur racket is aready up u can push and attack it back at ur opponent or because ur racket is already there you can change the pace or direction by blocking the shuttle back cross court.

similarly with drives if ur racket is already up u have more time to place and direct ur shot rather than having to get ur racket to the shuttle in the first place.

hope that helps.

'racket up!!!'

3. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    o, yea, forgot to hold the racket up!
    Laziness xD

Thanks yippo!