Winning without a powerful smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Apr 9, 2009.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I have an injury with my shoulder, I gave it rest and been to the chiropractor but its not perfectly fine yet. I can now clear and drop and drive without too much problems, but am still very scared to smash, it would just bring back the injury. What do you guys think about winning without a powerful smash? Should I focus to do something? Maybe focus on a very steep and angled smash instead would suffice? Tips and suggestions is much appreciated. And I know I should just stop until its perfectly fixed but I really need to keep my v2 spot. Thank you.

2. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

If you really need to play, just use a lot more wrist. Placing the bird really well to replace your smash. If you can clear, then I'm pretty sure you can half smash. Just use a half smash in the perfect spot, and it'll be enough to make it like a full smash. A straight drop works too, a fast drop rather than a smash.

3. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    if it's doubles your opponent will soon find out that you don't have a powerful smash and it'd be really tough to win.
    However if it's singles you play you can make up for the lack of a powerful smash in many other aspects. And it's still very possible to be able to give your opponent a hard time

4. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for that tip Azn32boi! That's what I thought.

DivingBirdie. I am actually playing singles fortunately.

#4 KazeCloud, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    You should just rest until you feel 100%.
    It would be unfortunate if you had to give up badminton because of an injury.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

If you're playing singles, just do better placed shots. Easier said than done, but you really don't need a super smash to win singles. I'd rather out play an opponent with well placed shots than to out smash or out run someone.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You'll need to compensate with more court speed and better placement shots. With doubles, it's easier as you could maneuver to the front and let your partner do the pounding. With singles, it's harder as you'll need to focus alot more quality shots to put your opponent in trouble. Smash or net shot is usually the finisher against opponents of similar level, so you're already handicapped with your injury. Best to rest and rehab your shoulder instead.

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Focus on accurate half smashes, especially if they are not expected. You'll need to use more punch clears and fast drops to push them around though.

9. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

The game actually becomes more fun when you place the bird better, it gives it more variety and tempo in the game. It makes you feel good too, being able to control the game.

10. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

A number of good players are using steep fast drops in preference to smashes. The growing use of the stick smash bears this out. So your stategy seems sound !
    Word of warning if I may. One of my coachees suffers badly with chronic shoulder problems. He refuses to rest it , and continues to suffer.