Headache after training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ^shaz^, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Hey guys,

I've just gotten back into playing properly after tearing a ligament in ankle, and I had a very tough training sessions which included lots of shadow work and games, and afterwards I got a headache which stayed for quite some time. Never had this issue before and just thought I'd ask if anyone else gets this and what they do to counter it.

I was drinking lots of water during training, and had a banana half way through. My fitness isn't as good as it used to be so maybe my body is telling me to chill out haha! I didn't have much to eat before training which I think may be the issue but not sure as I don't normally eat much before playing.

I've got another session tonight so will see how that goes. Any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.

2. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

I must be alone in this lol...

3. nicholasl

nicholasl Regular Member

Government Sector
    Well there could be a few reasons. (Not base on badminton but on body)

Did you have at least 7 hours of sleep before hand?
    Are you using more than 90% of your energy level?
    Could also be due to your lack of fitness and you went overdrive when could be the reason of the headache.
    You could have been surfing the forum for the past 12hrs and you went for the game. That could lead to headache as well.

There's alot of reasons, you could visit a doctor. :)

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Try eating 2-4 hours before training - you need the energy :D.

Do you bring some sugary drink or something it could help you - im not sure though.

5. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Yeah I think sugar level had dropped which would have caused it I reckon. Gonna take a isotonic drink with me today and some fruit and see if its any better lol.

6. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Shaz - you should talk this through with whoever is running your training sessions. They need to be aware. If they do not/cannot act on this, then seek advice from your doctor. Dehydration is the "favourite" cause of headaches, but I'm guessing there's very few of us properly equipped to diagnose you via the internet !
    Headaches are serious stuff.

7. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Figured out what it was. Spoke with a friend who is a nutrition expert and basically said the most common cause was glycogen levels dropped too low (blood sugar level) and recommended I take a carbohydrate/glucose rich drink prior to training and during.

So I did so, and no headache... woooo! I kinda figured that was the cause of it but thought I'd post to see what others' thoughts were. Now its just getting fitness back up! :) Makes sense tho, as I'm normally fine and regularly in the gym/court/etc and never have this issue just now the intensity was jacked up, and I wasnt used to it... enjoyed it this time more too and didn't struggle as much :D

8. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Best to see a doctor

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yep my coach enforces a sugary drink and water. He is strict but it is for the best.

He makes us bring water , sugary drink/snack and bananas.

One other thing he told me was that if you ae yawning it is because your blood sugar levels are low. So if you yawn take a sip of your sugary drink :D.

10. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    You should still see a doctor as it could be a combination of glucose and mainly high blood pressure.

11. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Had my blood pressure and general health checked recently by a chiropractor as I had a trapped nerve in my back. They took x-ray, bloody pressure, checked reflexes. She was like... I don't know what you're doing but everything is perfect ... apart from trapped nerve in my back... which is also now perfect :)

12. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    dehydration and lack of fitness.
    I have the exact same problem right now and that's because I haven't touched a racket in 2 months. And on saturday I played 4 sets of singles.

13. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Yeah, it only happened when doing tough shadow and footwork training. The coach that was training me is renowned for pushing you very hard ... that and not drinking enough and not eating the right things before the training resulted in the headache.

The session last week was fine, other than him making me pay for my lower than normal fitness level! :D

14. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:D.

I always get headaches from eating oily foods before training - even crisps :crying: