Used to play in A team but now play in..B team!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by London_Player, Apr 10, 2009.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    You used to play doubles in A group in your club but few years later, you now play in the B group and the younger players used to respect and be courteous to you and desired to play with you or against you. But now these same players are playing in A group and now they attack your shots with cocky confidence and think that you’re past your best.:mad:

Doesn’t that make you upset and you try to get back your ‘honour’ by taking extra coaching and re-learning those old moves?:cool:

2. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Its only natural the younger ones will improve and if you take a break and come back you cannot expect to beat them as you used to.

Need to get your level back up again ;)... don't give them shots that they can attack so easily ;)

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

remember this: always dont give up no matter what happen:)

4. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Is this a "choose your own adventure" thread? :cool:

If you're not past your best, then why aren't you still in A group? If they can attack your shots, then why can't they be cocky? If you're upset that other people can improve while you decline, then it's not that they took your "honor" but rather that you lost your "honor". If you didn't work hard in those "few year" and as a result didn't improve, then extra training now may not be enough.

I understand that we should be supportive, but sometimes you have to face your limits and the decline of your limits. So, my final comment would be:

Don't give up badminton no matter who beats you.

5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

There's a chinese saying which goes like;

The back waves will wash away the front waves and become the new wavefront.

6. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

wow, that works here pretty well hear... nice one

7. London_Player

admin
    The problem is 'hhwoot' I think of Badminton too much and can't reconcile the fact that withy my older knee and with a new tennis elbow struggle to compete with these guys. Losing my place in the A group, while these younger guys smirk when they play with me, during after sessions, makes me embarrased and lose my ego.:eek:

I remember when they were not allowed to play with my group, as they were crap and used to beg the group captain to allow them to play with us!:D

I woudn't have been that upset, if they weren't so cocky and have a sly smile on their faces, when they intentionally extend the rally, to make me run, damn if only I was 10 years younger, I would have taught them a lesson!:mad:

8. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    Kids will be kids.
    I don't know what to tell you other than that.
    How young are these "younger guys"?

9. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

This reminds me of a time some 22 years ago when I was able to consistently trash LinDan. He's the better player now so I'll have to live with that I may never be able to beat him again.

10. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    Hi,
    i believe i am one of the cocky players that you speak of. Im 17 (soon to be 18) and have had the majority (90%) of my coaching from men in there 60's. The men that have coached me (different coaches at the different clubs i train at) have told me to attack their shots, try new things (cocky shots). And yes i did move up from the B team to the A team a couple of seasons ago .

The only thing i truely disagree with, is that 'the younger players used to respect and be courteous to you and desired to play with you or against you' I still do wish to play with everyone. I owe all of my badminton skills/technique to them and still treat them with the respect that i have always given.

My coach at my local club has just had his hip replaced but still continues to coach me and all i do it play it back to him where ever he stands and he places in around my court as practise for me, as he cannot play an intense game anymore but enjoys coaching and hitting a bit.

anyways thats all i have to say, just dont think all young ppl are like the ones at your club.

11. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I am 19 and I too am a cocky player.
    But I believe that you yourself may be at fault and not the younger players.
    You are posting about 'how when they were crap they had to beg to play with you'.
    I was once beaten a lot by the older players, and now I can beat them. I don't beat them because I like to put them down, I beat them because I am physically better. Unfortunately there are still some players with better techniques and skills that still catch me out.
    Maybe you should work on your skills to stop them being able to kill your shots instead of blaming them for having a physical advantage.

12. London_Player

admin
    The 'kids' are in their 20s and I'm in my late..30s. I know I should accept that the younger guys are improving and I have past my peak. It's just that being demoted to group B is quite embarrasing and I have a big ego and can't accept that.:mad:

It's like you used to work in the 'office' now they moved you to 'warehouse asst.' Maybe I should change my old club, where I've been playing for several years.:confused:

13. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

You ego needs sorting out. Skill determines staying in the A group, not ego. Players with big egos aggrivate me, so you should be in group B for that fact alone ;). Get to group A on your skill/playing ability, not ego...