Do I need lots of muscle

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by binton, Apr 11, 2009.

1. binton

binton New Member

Hi so I've been playing badminton for a while now and my clears aren't that good. Is it because I dont have lots of muscle?

And for smashes do you need lots of muscle, because I think the problem with me is that I dont snap my wrist's.

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    No you do not need lots of muscle or big muscles to play badminton or improve your technique...

Actually that's what it really comes down to...
    Improving your technique.

I know a lot of players much slimmer than I who generate decent power, but the key is that they have proper stroke technique.

Depending on your age, and location.
    There are usually instructional camps held to help people learn to play better, and get more enjoyment out of the game.

You should check your local papers/post secondary institutional programme guides, or local badminton clubs to see if any clinics are being offered.

4. binton

binton New Member

Well im 14 I've been playing for around 5 years I think the problem is that when im about to smash or do a far clean i hold my racket at the very bottom do you think thats the problem?

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Ooooh, kriss, that's a major grammar fail (you're a beginner) :rolleyes::p:D

But no, some of the people who appear to be pretty week can have huge smashes. Some younger children also hit pretty hard. Work on good grips and good swing action as opposed to trying to take as hard a swing as possible.

Holding the racket at the very bottom is fine, I do it. All it will do (if anything) is give you more reach and more leverage, both of which are good things. As said, get a coach or a friend who is a better player to look at your technique and offer some advice or upload a video of your clears and smashes to Youtube (other video sharing sites are available ;)) and someone will take a look at them for you if you post a link.

6. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

You dont need lots but you need some.

This winter I used to do weight training more seriously -- I went to the gym 3 times per week, training my arms (and wrists), my back and legs, eating more protein food and some whey powders and I managed to gain some more muscle mass and... smoe fat too but it was inevitabily...
    And now I feel stronger -- I can do clears with less effort and with almost only my wrist (at least at the beginning of the session)... And I feel good :)

But if you are more of a beginner, you should concentrate more on your technique and after you have improved it, you will be able to benefit from weight trainings.

#6 Sasho, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  7. Scott_G500

Scott_G500 Regular Member

Student
    Time to review some grammar, eh? (who appear to be pretty weak):)

8. peter_patrick14

peter_patrick14 Regular Member

student
    too much muscle will get you slower as you get more heavy and you will not move very quickly. Check this video and others explaining how you should do a forehand clear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhe_rRJR9_Y

9. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Think it might be a case of chicken or egg...

Getting the technique right is very important but u will be frustrated trying to do so if you don't have a good level of fitness. Muscle bulk might actually slow you down and make u less flexible, but get ur strength and stamina up, definitely.

10. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

Technique is almost everything. Let's be honest here, you don't need to be "strong" to clear. Good players can clear with a fraction of the strength they can generate. The only shot that requires "strength" is smashing cause it's the only shot in which the harder you hit, the better. And even then, your smashes will not improve if your technique is wrong. And using the proper technique will make those muscles stronger simply through repetitive motion. I have never "trained" my forearm; it just got bigger because I used them while playing badminton.

11. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

well ok i was referring to full body strength more than just arms in my prev post. strengthening your legs, back, and stomach goes a loooong way in ensuring ur technique is executed correctly. So does flexibility.

12. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I disagree, physical training is as important as technique. Although I agree that technique is very important for starter, but it can only takes to certain level (club level for example), then you'll need to really work on your fitness and physical ability to be competitive.

I don't believe that a proper jump smash can be done without strong legs muscle.

13. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Technique and timing is everything, I'm currently coaching a 9 years old girl that can clear back to back while moving.

But strenght and timing is also important, when I hold I'm able to clear back to back with only my wrist&forearm.

Binton, what you may need is a good coach, listen to him and be patient. Post a video of yourself playing and I'll give you a few tips

14. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    all in the technique buddy.

15. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:eek::(:p

:eek::(:p.

And i'm supposed to be getting good results for english :D:eek:

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    In short, its the technique. Get someone on the court to train you up a little. You'll learn a little faster. ;)