Tennis Elbow from playing with Plastic Birds

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by aushaw, Apr 12, 2009.

1. aushaw

aushaw Regular Member

Technical Education in Dentistry
    So come on lets not be cheap, do many of us know that hitting a platic bird will probably cause more problems from the wrist to the shoulder?
    The vibrations travelling from the racket with hitting a plastic is nearly twice that from a feather bird.
    You have to hit a plastic bird with 40%+ more force to kill compared to feather, therefore you end up over hitting.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is there proof of that?

3. aushaw

aushaw Regular Member

Technical Education in Dentistry
    Yes it came from an article that I will dig-out for you from a professional, badminton player from Badminton England who was also a chiropractor.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks.

I reserve opinion until the proof is in the pudding (so to speak). I just wonder if they corrected for confounding factors. After all, although the vibrations may be more, a reason for more injuries may be poorer technique in badminton players who use plastic shuttles.

This confounder may be even more apparent in the UK. Lower level players with poorer technique are more likely to play with plastic shuttles. Also very common in the UK is that you see people who hold the racquet very tightly. So you do need careful statistical analysis to prove the argument.

This is a link to what I'm on about.

Confounding variables