Met my wife whilst playing!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by aushaw, Apr 12, 2009.

1. aushaw

aushaw Regular Member

Technical Education in Dentistry
    I must thank the badminton gods. I have been playing badminton on a rec level for the past 40 years and have recently started playing the Masters circuit.
    I met my (now)wife 8 years ago on the badminton court and we both play ardently! Of course playing mixed is half the fun, provided we remember to never argue on the court (only try to win!)My wife started playing more seriously and taking lessons and yes improving well - and at aged 55 looks 20years younger than she is!

I have been fortunate to have played whilst traveling on work around Canada/USA and most countries in the world. It can make good friends for you and keep you healthy as well!

I look forward to many more years of badminton, trying to stay healthy and make more friends around the world - thank you Badminton !

2. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Good to hear that...
    I wish i can find my "other half" too...

3. aushaw

aushaw Regular Member

Dont worry as long as you are having a good time playing and dont get too uptight! Just be your nice casual self and Im sure you'll get noticed! What level do you play at and where do you play?

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You should form a Mixed Doubles pair and play in tourneys.
    That will help confine all your arguments to the badminton court :D

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    That's nice.

How did you meet her exactly? Did you invite her to play mixed? Did you show off your badminton skills to impress her? Or did she impress you with her graceful court movements?

More details would be much appreciated :)

Who knows? This could be another telenovela story. :D

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    in this case, i need to have schedule like Oldhand.
    Monday till Sunday. more opportunity to get know more gals. :eek:

thank you to aushaw for his love story in badminton. :)

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I also met my wife on the badminton court. Still play together & still argue on & Off the court........:D

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    since when would that happen? any arguments on court can and will be brought up 5 yrs later out of the blue anywhere.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yes! Also any advice on their tactics is instantly turned into them believing you are criticising their play.........:mad:

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Like this, Kwun?

During breakfast

Kwun: Hon, what's for breakfast?
    Wife: Bacon and eggs, dear.
    Kwun: Again? I've been having bacon and eggs for breakfast for the past 5 months!
    Wife: What are you complaining about? I didn't complain when you weren't smashing hard enough to set up the rally for me 5 years ago at the ___[insert tournament]___. All you had to do is smash ... but no! You had to lift it cross-court so the pressure was on me defending. One point, Kwun! Only one match point and we could have won already. Instead, we had to have a 3rd set.

:D

11. aushaw

aushaw Regular Member

Sense of Humour!

I do enjoy your sense of humour! Seriously though, me being orig from London,UK and my wife ex from Hong Kong now live happily in Canada(Toronto) and we play in the masters grouping. Funny enough, to show support to my wife I helped her form a team last year of Canadian women and we went to play in Osaka, Japan at at tournament called Interntaional Ladies Friendship tournament. It was a amazing sight over 1200 players from all over the world and all in the 35+ age catagory. They had each team hold their countries flag and proudly march around their arena(they had 26 courts in 2 gyms, so you can imagine the size)it was just like the Olympics!
    I was one of the few guys present with all ladies there, they gave everyone fre Bento Box lunches every day and had 2 incredible sit-down banquet dinners which I have not seen rivaled yet!
    We all made good friends there and I learned the beauty of Japan through local people!

To answer Venkatesh about meeting my wife......
    I was coaching a group who were mainly beginners and of course there was one exceptional player who always tried so much harder than the rest....in my eyes, she had had everything, the figure, personality, zest for life, and she loved badminton.....(what else could you need?)
    So naturally I asked her out for a meal and we chatted non-stop about life in general. Our coaching sessions become more friendly and we grew closer.
    Over months we became a couple and I knew that she was more special than other girls I had known. We had many things in common, other than badminton...she liked to explore....travel, culture, food, sports and more....

I am missing out many other fine things but can only tell you that was my big turning point in life!

Best regards to you all........

12. viver

viver Regular Member

It will come back to haunt you even 20 years later.. ;) Come back 15 years later to comment! :p

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Not sure what to say to you since you already got the best! :D Happy badminton!

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..OCBC (a full-time baddy club in Los Angeles/Orange County, CA, USA) recently held one, i believe late last yr. Next time, if they hold one here in the states, you can fly here instead of flying all the way to Japan.:)

Always enjoyed reading such stories. Thanks for sharing yours..

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    aushaw, i enjoyed reading your story too. thank you for sharing. if you are ever in my neighborhood, give me a call i will bring you and your wife out for a drink and a game of badminton. :)

16. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

Wow, great story. If I could find my significant other that enjoyed badminton as well.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks for the inspiring story. I hope you've matched your beautiful wife by cutting down 20 years of your biological age and remain as agile as ever in the badminton court. :)