Stringing machine questions and recommendations.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bobbinbette, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

Hi, i'm completley new to the stringing area and I've been seriously considering buying a machine lately. I have a strict $150-$170 max budget (including shipping) and at first was going to go with the Klipper M140, but adding in practice strings and shipping, it goes over my budget...

I live close enough to racketsupply, which by their website says they sell gamma x-2's, to drive by and buy one. I've read some good reviews on this machine but was wondering if it is ready to string badminton rackets or do i need to modify it? (different weight, clamps, etc.). If it's ready to go for badminton rackets this would be my top choice.

the eagnas hawk 15 looked enticing but i was worried about the gripper as i read that i could damage strings at higher tensions. If it was possible to replace the girpper with a better one, then this would be a viable option as well. also i'd be mostly stringing with microlegend or bg-65 so i dont' know how that will affect any stringjob that i might do.

I'm not sure if there's many machines out there that fit my budget and are safe to string with at my usual tension of 24-25lbs so i would really appreciate any help at all :(.

also if anyone is selling a used machine in my price range, please pm me :).

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Yo, Save up, buy a good machine, learn how to string then charge your friends and make money. I got a Yonex ES5 Pro if you want to buy, I am looking at getting the Yonex ES5 Pro Tech =)

3. bobbinbette

ah, i would do that but it's more for personal use than anything else, any money that i make would just be icing on the cake. I'd be happy with a 2pt. dropweight =].

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    most people wont' be able to afford the ES5 even if you give 90% discount!

5. bobbinbette

..what's an ES5? sounds super expensive from kwun's statement

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Yonex top of the line machine $6500 USD. They might drop since Yonex ES5 Pro Tech coming out. More ergonomical for stringers backs as is new Wilson Machine.

7. bobbinbette

i see, but i can't afford something like that...just an entry level machine would be great

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Personally, at that price point, I would go for the Wilson machine (which is also very expensive) but either of them would be superb.

Just out of interest, how much are you looking to get for the ES5PRO? Actually, PM sent too.

Personally, if I was just starting stringing, I wouldn't bother with the high end stuff, probably not even the midrange machines (£300 or under for your first machine, probably much lower than £300). Buy a decent low end machine such as the Gamma you mention. In fact, the Gamma is probably even better than the Klipper - it's a superb machine and people on the tennis forum (tt.tenniswarehouse.com) absolutely love it. I don't think I've seen a bad review of the X-2 yet. The Hawk 15 (although I have no first hand experience of it) looks like a hateful thing, all the reviews seem to say you get what you pay for with this machine, meaning not much :rolleyes::crying:. Oh and the Gamma will be fine at those relatively modest tensions. At 28Lbs and above, I'd be a bit worried about the 2 point mounting but it'd probably still be fine if you were very careful.

9. bobbinbette

thanks a lot! but i was wondering, since the gamma x-2 is a tennis machine, do i need to modify it in anyway to work for badminton rackets? will the tennis weight work for badminton?

10. Danstevens

Student
    I'm pretty sure it works out of the box for badminton (the weights go down to low badminton tensions and right up to the highest of tennis tensions) but there are some additions you can buy to make the experience better. Please see this TW thread for information on these parts from someone who actually works at/for Gamma. Oh and sorry for posting an incorrect link in my previous post, the TW forums are http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com if you want more information, I recommend you PM Bret (on TW under Gamma Tech).

11. bobbinbette

alright, thanks. gamma x-2 currently my top choice.

12. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

13. bobbinbette

the gamma x-2 is now currently over my budget as i just called racket supply and they don't have it in stock, i'd have to get it shipped to me and that puts me over $200 with badminton clamps....as of right now the only option i see is an eagnas hawk 15...

14. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Try
    http://www.atssports.com/
    Ask if they have a used X-2 or May be some other used machine.
    If you call KlipperUSA, they might have a used M140 you can get for cheaper price and fit it in your budget. Also, ask if they can include a set of their badminton string for you for free.

15. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

How many rackets you plan to srting?

16. bobbinbette

thanks a lot silentheart.

i'm planning on using this for personal use and maybe for friends so i wont' be stringing a ton. but i do break strings a lot so that's why i'm investing in a machine.

17. bobbinbette

actually, ats sports fits my budget for the machine. I'm just badminton clamps. Are there any cheaper Clamps that wont slip at 25 lbs? i know most people recommend Hi Qua or yonex but those are really expensive.

18. Danstevens

Student
    Just please don't go for the Hawk 15 or any of the Hawk series for that matter. Here are some Hawk 10 reviews (the Hawk 10 is the current cheapest machine on the Eagnas site, the 15 is no-where to be seen). Perhaps you should try to save up and buy the X-2 or the Klipper or any other of the better quality low end machines from companies with better customer service. Maybe look on eBay and Craigslist, etc for good if a little risky deals on used machines.

19. bobbinbette

thanks a lot. i think i'll go for the gamma x-2. free shipping is always great. what do you guys think i should use for stringing practice? how much practice do you think it would take to be able to string a racket consistently?

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Not really. If you know who to ask or where to buy from.