Badminton at School

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Andy05, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    That quote above (if it works) just got me thinking. I had a really good experience of Badminton at my school, its how I first picked it up.

I was just wondering what it was like for everyone else.

2. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    The key word in the original quote by kwun is "master". Depending on how "master" is interpreted in context, the quote can be taken to be either mostly correct, or extremely arrogant.

If "master" is to be defined as "A-class player or above", then the quote is almost certainly true. It is very unlikely to achieve a great playing level if someone only plays during PE.

However, if we take "pick up and master" to simply mean "learn the game and basic shots" as Andy05's experience seem to imply, then the quote is quite arrogant. It's almost implying: "Only badminton can't be 'picked up and mastered' in PE, it is a fruitless endeavor. All other sports are simple in comparison and PE should stick to those."

3. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

First played it at school, then for a reasen i forget i joined a badminton session run by a very experianced player. At school i liked it beucase it suited me, light-medium build, fast with good hand eye co=ordination... unfortunatley my school didn't have a team then :(

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    hhwoot, the quote was actually mean to be taken in a way as how was badminton organised at your school.
    At some schools in my area they were given rackets and left to it, my school brought a badminton coach in. Although no player has ever 'mastered' badminton let alone done it in very few hours at school, I was wondering if your school had good badminton opportunities.

And to jafffa, yeah my school didn't have a team either, we had a few good players, but the teachers had a few other sports to organise so they didn't have enough time for badminton.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Badminton at my school is awful. The PE department couldn't care less and although we have some good players, most of the people opt to do badminton just so they can mess around and be idiots.

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

My Badminton started because I hassled my PE teachers loads :D.

We almost got through in the center parks tournament , but lost to a team with 1 england players and 3 county players lol :D.

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I think there is a need for local community clubs to establish links with school PE departments. Since we started a Junior Club 5 years ago the local school PE department has come under pressure from our junior members to create a school team. They now meet every Tuesday 3.30-5pm. At the inter schools tournament the school made it to the Semi finals but had to withdraw due to the teacher needing to go home!!! I suppose the teacher wasn't expecting the team to do as well as they did!

8. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    DAMN!You remembering me the moment when im play badminton at school .. i always give them chance to smash and they say that im weak .. damn!almost all of their smashes i can caught

9. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

I went to a middle school that was very into sports and had a history of being dominant, and my dad was a gym teacher who appreciated all sports and i had 4 older siblings to learn from. Here we really have no club and its all school stuff. In gym class I usually dominate other than 2 or 3 okay players but our school is fairly competitive for only 500ish students, with 20 of 24 plays qualifying for zones