should high school coaches use profanity?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by gamepurpose, Apr 13, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    3 days or 2 days ago, i played at a high school open gym. I was hitting around with my friend. We were the only 2 that weren't part of the high school team. So anyway all of sudden, I heard a yelling and follow with profanity words. And here's the reason, the open gym is just a purpose to let the players to have more practice and gain more experience of course. And most of them missed a day of the open gym (oh it's during the springbreak, vacation time for them). And all suddenly this guy acting an Azz and start yelling, acting all tough, keep saying he's been wasting time to open up the gym for them.
    Honestly, I don't really see anything that big deal of that. Players not showing up the OPEN GYM days? that's just normal, because let face it, not all high school student love badminton or really like. If they missed it they missed it. I wouldn't care, because i know they need some vacation because of the long long days in the classrooms.
    So please reply this thread. And give me, a good reason why a high school coach should allow to use profanity and complain to the players.
    Oh i think this is worse, he is just an Assistant coach.

2. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

I think you got it. Bad language belies poor coaching.

3. kdm4life

kdm4life Regular Member

Strongly disagree

Some of the best coaches in the world have pretty nasty mouths on them. If you are coaching kids for fun, yeah it might be a bad idea to swear. However, swearing in a competive setting is more common than not.

4. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    mmm football coaches tend to cuss some basketball coaches. Open gym is usually mandatory for basketball they just call it open gym because u cant practice on weekends. For badminton I dont think you need to cuss at your students but be harsh at points. Cussing is usually only when you know your students very well and you joke with them but cussing to complain and put them down is a no no.

5. kdm4life

kdm4life Regular Member

I can understand the open gym issue.

That is certainly crossing the line, and is not only unnessecary but quite immature as well.

However, like I said, many of the top coaches in the world swear out of frustration with their students. This occurs in all sports, badminton included. Any of the top athletes will admit that many coaches will often curse in front of them, or even at them. The fact that it is badminton and not a more violent sport is irrelevant. Cursing is an important tool for many elite coaches when demanding the best from their students.

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    It can go either way.

Firstly i dont think its anyones business on how someone coaches his/her students. If the coach gets results thats all that matters. If positive results are not being achieved then its up to the employer of the coach to have a sit down and revise the teaching methods.

As said some of the top coaches in the world can say some horrible things at time. And for elite athletes its important to get "kicked in the face" as a wake up call. Maybe on the lower level its not needed so much.

Do you know what standard the students are?? High or low?
    And just because hes asistant coach doesnt make his job any less difficult. It can be very demanding coaching....the time and effort put into your students is more than most people understand. ANd when students miss training sessions the coaching staff have every right to be upset.

Just depends on the circumstances involved.

7. Pisthetairos

Pisthetairos Regular Member

Student
    Not that I have any knowledge of coaching, but I think the high school setting is the important factor here. Depending on the location (country/region/town that is), swearing at a student could be a great way to get fired/sued/reprimanded; being an assistant coach could mean a greater chance of getting fired.

I'm not sure if the standard is different in badminton, but in crew and lacrosse at my high school, the students weren't allowed to swear (the exception being lacrosse, where the assistant coach allowed us to say crap as long as it was in a bad scottish accent) much less the coaches. Most coaches at the HS I went to prolly wouldn't want to take the chance of having watch his back for parents/superiors holding that over him/her.

Can't say I see elite level coaches as a fair comparison for high school coaching either. These are kids you're talking about; regardless of the level they tend to be covered by different laws and special interests (parents tending to be particularly strong in that regard, for better or worse).

8. Furtil

Furtil Regular Member

student
    "The best coach only interacts with the best players." This is the worst bull**** I've heard in my life. That's to say how some of the excellent coaching systems that bring in results at the cost of stereotypically leaving out all but the best. Then especially for badminton, a sport that requires respect and honesty, it is indecent and inadequate to swear, and worse at students, who are still open to influences.

9. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    IMO, high school coaches must watch their language around the students. I don't know if i forgot to add that the assistant coach is not really assistant, he's just another player who was selected to be the person who able to open the gym by the coach I suppose.

I was kind of pissed off seeing a KID who actually pretend or so call abused the power he has "the key"

But anyhow, I don't think cussing (use bad language like f words and all those kind of stuffs) can consider as a tool for a GOOD result of coaching. I can only see coaches now a day or even back then use profanity is because, sad but true, profanity can even come out from 8 or 9 years old kids now a days. Even younger kids already start to use profanities.
    I can see a coach is upset and gotta let it out and making the players feel that the coach is trying his best to make them better or watever. I'll admit that.

10. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    Further more, IMO. I'm only speak of wat I feel is right. First off:
    A good coach and a bad coach is base on the system that he uses.
    like how he trains his players, to be honest he can always just train his players without any words. It's all training for the physical condition.

And another side of being a good coach is how you motivate the players. This part the coach can pick his way of his speech. It's pretty much, how should i put it. tone of voice? Like yelling and all that kind of stuffs. However, yelling doesn't have to involves with profanities.

Most of you will disagree with this part, but that because you might just get use to hearing profanities or you're the one who've been using profanities as just words in you daily life styles. And most of you will say, in movies this and in movies that. Yea because movies are pretty much base in reality. And unfortunately, we're in a pretty f-up world.

11. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I don't agree. I suspect some of those elite coaches get good results despite their bad behaviour, not because of it. In fact, some of them probably didn't curse so much when they started out, but they cursed more when they got into a position where they could get away with it...

True, sometimes the coach needs to tell it how it is, and this can involve letting the athlete/student/whoever know when they're not measuring up. It can be painful and confronting.

But a good coach should be able to do this without losing control, and without it turning into personal abuse. There's a huge difference between "That's not good enough, you can do better" and "You're a lazy good-for-nothing ******".

I haven't had the chance to work with badminton coaches at a high level. But I've had the unpleasant experience of working with some high status music coaches who use abusive language as a way of weeding out their students. If they think someone isn't "tough" enough, then they yell and swear at them until they prove the coach wrong, or until (more often) they quit. It achieves nothing more than feeding the coach's ego. Many people can learn mental toughness if they're told clearly what's required and given the chance to practice it. There's nothing to gain by crushing those people.

I've also had the chance to work with good music teachers and coaches who demand the very highest standards from their students and from themselves, but manage to do so with respect and integrity. They might not curse and swear, but that doesn't mean they're soft. They leave their students in no doubt as to how much effort is required, and they tell them very clearly when they go wrong. But they do it without resorting to abuse.

I know which sort of coach makes the better role model, and which is more capable of inspiring confidence.

Bottom line: I believe that a professional coach or teacher should never use abusive language towards their students. If someone swears a lot and behaves badly, it's a sign that they're ego is out of control. If they're getting good results that way, then we should ask how much better they would do if they learned more positive ways of motivating people.