first time posting here.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cepheus, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Cepheus

Cepheus Guest

just found out this site yesterday. anybody from Lexington, KY area?

2. May

May Guest

I am not from there. But I am a newbie too.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    A warm welcome to both of you!

4. Robbie

Robbie Guest

Welcome! Cepheus, where is the KY area?? (don't want to sound rude or anything KY stands for something else here in UK)

5. Cepheus

Cepheus Guest

Saying hi to May, Mag and Robbie

well, KY stands for Kentucky, :)
    Where are u from?

6. May

May Guest

Hi ppl. Do u guys think I'm irritating? Some forums I go to, they think I'm irritating and I don't know why.

7. Cepheus

Cepheus Guest

do they tell u why?
    :)

I think you are fine, :)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

May, I think most people find the following types of messages to be somewhat irritating:

- rude, insulting, bragging, prejudiced or childish messages or ones that contain a lot of profanities
    - messages that are too far removed from the overall topic of the forum or irrelevant to the particular discussion thread
    - "me too" messages (ones that don't add anything but merely seem like the author wanted to get in the last word or just wanted to see his/her name on the internet) and messages stating opinions when the author has no actual knowledge of the discussion topic
    - excessive numbers of messages by the same author
    - messages containing very sloppy, lazy or indifferent writing, using too many shortcut words (u instead of you, ur instead of you're, b4 instead of before, etc...), or ones using very poor grammar when the author can do better (obviously there are a lot of non-native English speakers participating in this forum and even though their messages are not perfect, most of them are doing a fine job at trying to communicate here)

Why don't you look through this list and consider if any of these factors might apply to your postings? I haven't been particularly annoyed or irritated by your messages.

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

A suggestion May: when you first join a discussion group and introduce yourself, you may want to go ahead and mention that you are 12 years old, as you did in one of your other postings; however, with this site as with any internet site, be sure you do not give out too much information about yourself for safety reasons - there are some wackos out there who might use that kind of infomation for criminal purposes. None of us had the knowledge of badminton (or most other things for that matter) at age 12 that we have now, so people will have more patience and be much more helpful if they knew your questions were coming from a youthful badminton fan trying to learn more about the sport, rather than a presumably more knowledgable adult. There are probably a lot of people on this website who wished they had taken up badminton seriously when they were your age.

10. AS

AS Guest

Is anyone from birmingham, England

11. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

Hi, I discovered this discussion forum last night. I find it great! It's wonderful to see how many people love badminton and how everyone is willing to share their experiences and opinions on the sport. I'm 21 and live in Canada.

12. maheshkumars

maheshkumars New Member

Engineer
    Hi
    I recently moved to Lexington KY. Is there a place to play badminton here in Lexington.
    Mahesh

13. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

What are the chances, eh!!!

I lived in Lexington, KY for 3 years, from 1999-2002. There's not much badminton there, I'm afraid. There was an informal badminton club (of sorts) at the University, where people got together and played on Friday evenings from 5:00 pm on Fridays. This was at the rec center on University Drive (off Cooper Dr.). I can't remember if it was on during the summer or the winter. The standard was not very inspiring, though. However, I'm not sure if they've started building the new rec center or not, which may affect the times of the club.

Are you working/studying at the University?

Wayne Young,
    Oxford, UK

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Kiwiplayer

I always thought you have some connection with New Zealand. But names could be deceiving, I guess.

I haven't lived abroad, although I have done some travelling, but you seem to be going places, from Kentucky to Oxford in England.! You could have lived elsewhere before, maybe in NZ? Are you still a student?

By the way, I too, would like to extend a hearty welcome to both Cepheus and May.

#14 Loh, Jun 24, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  15. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Laf I'd check the dates of those posts ;)

May and Cepheus were around long before you came here Loh ;)

16. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Hi Loh,

Yes, actually I am from New Zealand. But not a student - those days are long gone (unfortunately).

The funny thing, looking at the original post was that I was in Lexington when the original poster wanted some information about badders in KY. However, due to the lack of any competition in KY, I didn't play during my 3 years there. However, I did play once when I visited a friend at the NYC badminton club, which was run by Wu Chibing (now he's one classy player). From what I could see, there was good baminton in the east and west coasts, but nothing in the middle USA, I'm afraid.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Pecheur

You're absolutely right! My eyes deceived me. But the names are a little 'foreign' in the sense that I hardly come across them, although May sounds more familiar. There isn't a profile on them either for me to double check.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying your badminton in Melbourne, or is it getting cold now?