Racquet tuning

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by taneepak, Apr 14, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Many owners may not be aware that new or old racquets are not always on-spec. Racquet manufacturing is a mass production and testing each and every racquet is not economically possible. That is where quality qc and finishers at the end of the chain are very important. This is one area Yonex scores quite well. The fakes are rather poor. But even Yonex's top of the range, including JPs, are not exempt from such flaws.
    There are mainly 3 areas or methods to test, one of which is used by Japanese qc inspectors and another by some Chinese qc inspectors. But these inspectors only subject these tests to racquets they contract out to contract manufacturers, not racquets made by their own outfit. The third test is more severe and is proprietary. The test inspectors would reject all contract manufacture racquets that do not pass the test-they do not know how to rectify them.
    Such sub-standard racquets can be made to be nearly as good as an on-spec racquet, and you do this by a special tuning method which can be a bit complicated.

2. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Do elaborate more if possible. This sounds interesting.

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, please explain further, taneepak. You've told us it's possible but not explained why or how.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I do this for my loyal customers for free except for the mandatory restring to make the tuning possible. Most of them have asked me how but I thought the question was like asking for more favors than what was already given.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

WOW, something new I lean today. No wonder the YY racquets made in Japan is so expensive. It is made in Japan then ship to China for inspection then send back to Japan for packing and shipping? Or the other way around? Last time I took the factory tour, I saw the racquets is inspected on site. Did I miss something there?
    Please tell us more...

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, you missed something that is significant. Yonex is not the only Japanese comapny making racquets. There are other Japanese companies, Taiwan companies, European companies and many OEMs from N. America too, who contract out to Chinese racquet manufacturers. At some large plants in China you can sometimes actually meet some Japanese testers testing their ordered racquets in a special room. I saw how the Chinese test it before and was surprised to find the Japanese test it in an entirely different way. In my opinion the Japanese method is ingenuous and so simple because it actually magnifies imperfections in the most important parts of the racquet-frame and shaft. The Chinese way-actually there are 2 Chinese ways-is fast but less than perfect if you are a bit old in age and have less than perfect eye sight.
    I an not sure but I think RSL uses one of the two Chinese ways.

7. silentheart

I never seen how racquet factory in china QC their racquet so I will not claim I know anything about it.

1) Yonex only contract the low end of badminton and tennis racquet to china. I am not talking about other companies who only use chinese manufacture only.
    2) From what I know and seen, Yonex in Japan and Taiwan factory used the same QC test. Except Yoenx Taiwan factory use less samples.
    3) All the Yonex racquets made in Japan, QC in Japan, Made in Taiwan, QC in Taiwan. I can not tell you what kind of QC for the Yonex contractor use in china. last ime I check, the quality from china was not very good.

Evil Empire should thank you for advertise for them because you just prove their racquets have best quality.

8. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    psst... GrandMaster SH... if you burst his bubble he wont tell us his super mysterious secrets:D:D:D

Then again... that would be the most (il)logical explanation for why WE pay through the nose for YY equipment :p:p:p

(Maybe if GM shipped their stuff back and forth they wouldn't be in the mess they are now. :eek: jk jk this has no bearing on the subject please ignore)

9. silentheart

Oooops. Sorry...

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Okay, looks like we don't need coffee for the morning. A good :D jk will do to wake everyone up . . .

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Does this mean you "fill in the gaps" or so to say... to make the racquets "on spec?"

I would think the QC process from YY would be rather logical & relatively thorough, otherwise you wouldn't be stating in other threads that there can not be any off-spec racquets possible in the YY range.
    Especially of those "made in japan" varieties.

I don't know either way what QC processes actually take place, so I have no comment on that, am merely here to absorb knowledge, and ask questions. :D

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I do have one question for you Sir.

Not sure if you are able to comment on this or not.

Those that do not pass the test...
    Do they get destroyed? or do they go back to get deconstructed per se, to be reused as raw material again?

13. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Or can they be given to me :D?

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yonex is very consistent in weight classification. Their finishing job on the fitting of the butt to the handle end is very good. Their balance is also very good. But there have been some deviations in their racquet length of even JP models. But all these are not as important as the ultimate test that Japanese testers test on racquets they contract out before accepting delivery. Some Yonex racquets are slightly off on this super test, much less than other brands especially the counterfeits. As a matter of fact I have told a friend of mine that his HK$1,200 NS9000 racquet is a fake because it failed this super test by a wide margin. He was mad as hell, saying it couldn't be as he bought it from a friend's shop that was closing down for business.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you contract out manufacturing to plants in China, rule number one is that you send your own inspectors there to check every process. High end German luggage companies do this. I don't think Wal-mart bothers.

16. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

Repaint them and sell them as "clone", or put them on e-bay and some lucky bidders will get a bargain on a original Yonex.

17. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    How could you know that? :eek: And from your post i feel your statement that failed tested racket still leak in the market and sell as fake :confused:
    Sorry but i little bit confused here :confused::confused::confused:

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I use 3 tests to test finished racquets-the Japanese mwthod to test contract work, the Chinese way, and my own method. If you have more than one racquet of a particular model, do you notice their playability may be different? One may be more effortless than the other? The Japanese and Chinese tests will not be able to tell the difference except for widely off-specs racquets.
    When weighing a racquet, pls take off the clear wrap on the handle-you will be surprised.

19. markache@hotmai

markache@hotmai Regular Member

When weighing a racquet, pls take off the clear wrap on the handle-you will

be surprised.[/quote]

Why should we be surprised ?

The plastic wrap is about 0.8g . and the parameter of weight on each model

just tell us an estimate weight ,like 85~89g .

What's your point ?

20. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Test methods

Hi taneepak,
    Agreed with u sometimes YY rackets same model but of different batches have different playability. I had tried that before. Can u share with us what is Japanese test method, Chinese test method, and yr own devised method?:p
    Thanks.
    Lee:D