Correct Technique - The Most Important

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by krisss, Apr 14, 2009.

1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hi ,

I just wanted to say , after being coached from a lot of different coaches , and most of them saying different things. I have picked up lots of different techniques I can use , and I can switch between them.

I just wanted to ask which was the "correct" one?

Heres the technique I mostly use (obviously not exactly , but reasonably close) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnw89edmxX4&feature=channel

I can use this technique If I want to -
    (see 5:30 - the racket is behind the mans back , and going downards)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWqBVKNX1Js&NR=1

I can also use this technique -
    (pronation technique - I call it :D , so I got an easy search from youtube lol.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p18RzaW94j0

So which one do you think is "correct"?

2. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

1st Link. Expert Village - utter nonsense generally and this is no exception.
    2nd Link. I don't like the "racquet behind the back" but I know it suits some folk.
    3rd Link. I posted a slomo of Lin Dan's technique that shows him pronating like a mad-thing, and that seems to work for him!

I don't think there is necessarily a "correct" technique, simply one that works for you or not. Some techniques seem to work well for a lot of people, which makes them "correct" for a lot of people.

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Thankyou , I've always wanted to see intenrational players technique but in slowmo?

There too fast , could you send me the link for the slow mo Lin Dan you posted please?

4. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, as The Bear says, it's not necessarily about "correct" technique with things like this, it's just about what works for you.

Personally, I prepare by setting my arms so along with my head, they make a kind of "W" shape (that probably doesn't make any sense). I guess apart from that, my swing is fairly similar to video 3.

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm I've found it but that shot looks like Lin Dan is reverse slicing it , and that might be the reason why it looks like it has so much pronation?

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    That's actually a straight smash, whether you're slicing or not doesn't affect the pronation, it's just whether you're pronating to hit the bird straight on or to hit and slice it when you actually achieve contact. Forearm rotation is essential to all overhead strokes and once you learn it and master it you'll get massive power that comes easily.

8. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Lin Dan isn't slice smashing in the clip. Slice smash is done with the hand - check it out.
    He pronates because that's what he does. If you look at the beginning of the clip you'll see he actually supinates before pronating to get more power.

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmmm this is all so confusing :D.

Can anyone else get a few clips of a good pronation technique ?
    Hmmm supination aswell , so he reverses his hand the other way slightly , but then pronates.

So many varying ranges of techniques :D

#9 krisss, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Kriss,
    Best advice I can give you is to get yourself a good coach and listen to what he/she says.
    Have a look at your national website. If your part of the moon is in the UK then your Badminton Development Officer will help you (look on the BE website).

11. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:D got lots of good coaches.

Thats the problem - their all so good , and reputable that I'm not sure which technique to use.

I can switch between 4 different techniques with no problem lol :D.

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmmm I've also noticed a lot of people finding it hard to correctly do the pronation technique.

I was tought that the butt end of the racekt should face the opponent then you follow through - this means that their is a lot of pronation involved in the shot.

13. uncle_peanuts

uncle_peanuts Regular Member

student of badminton
    pronation is a easy concept to describe. make a fist so your pinky is facing downwards. to pronate properly, make sure your pinky is facing upwards at the of your stroke.

14. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

A good coach will tell you to pronate your forearm. Find one that does that and stick with him.

15. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

Doesn't pronation cause more injuries? Like tennis elbow. I started doing it once and my elbow started hurting. I use a different technique, but I'm just wondering.

16. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:D TB , any other videos you can put up that show the correct technique? Using the pronation fo the forearm?

17. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

There are many ways of smashing as you pointed out. I think depending on the strength of your various muscles, your footwork, etc, one of the different ways of smashing may be slightly better. I think the difference is not too much as long as you are following the generally correct technique (pronation etc).

Are any of the smash styles particularly better? If not, dont worry and just pick one, if so, use it :p. If it turns out that you get injured doing that smash style, then use another one.

I used to use my wrist quite a bit when smashing, but then i got tendonitis and was reduced to doing some sort of downward clear, which was useless at first, but got better later. So now my wrist is better (and maybe stronger), and I now do something in between, although I might be sliding back towards the wristier method because it seems a bit better for deception and angle. Dont want to go too far and hurt my wrist again though.

18. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Most probably, you are gripping your racket too tightly. Try to relax your grip before the pronation and tighten your grip just before impact.

19. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

No.
    If your elbow hurt, then you must be putting pressure on the joint, which sounds like you might be hitting too much with your shoulder (but you'll appreciate that I'm only guessing).

The Badminton England Technique video has Gail Emms discussing pronation in almost every stroke description (I love it when she talks technical), particularly backhand clear and drive, when it is the most obvious.

Throw a shuttle up in the air, and then hit it from the backhand only using your wrist. Then hit the same shot, but with the feeling "hitting with the forearm", turning your forearm, and see the difference.

20. CoachEngholm

CoachEngholm Regular Member

Professional Badminton coach
    Technique

Firs of all your right about the technique. Its very important. The tech. you use moving around on court, and the tech. you use makeing the different strokes. I think its a simpel answer, if your tech. is good, you have a better chance on the court.
    1 clip: The worst crap I'v ever seen...
    2 clip: Ok Tech., but he doesn't show the smasch while moving towards the net. You cant get the full picture if you only make a slow movement.
    3 clip: Theres a big differens in the 2 kind of smash. At the first 2 clips, you have a swing thorugh, while moving your shoulder forward. The last clip, the player is prac. what we here in Denmark calls a sting, it's a short an fast move with racket, you hit the shuttle high, and return it fast. Often used while making chinajump.
    You dont get the same power related to the first 2 clips.

Please check out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09BNh1ZvoPM&feature=channel_page
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1CX5k59qYY&feature=channel_page

Best wishes