Some mini tests...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by amfslash, Apr 14, 2009.

1. amfslash

amfslash Regular Member

So i spent a good hour swishing and swooshing a few rackets at the shop yesterday. Here's the scenario: I'm pretty happy with my current low cost racket (apacs N9900P), BUT sometimes when I feel confident enough to swing as hard as I used to back in the good old days, the shuttle just doesnt do what I want it to do. A smash becomes a flat drive (fatal i know), a killing net tap goes flat and not to the ground, cross court drive goes to the middle of the courts etc. Seems that the racket head is lagging behind my swing, resulting in the effects mentioned. Dont get me wrong, the N9900P is a very good racket for what its worth and helped me a lot in getting back into the game, but I know that when I'm back up to my old self (or near enough ;-) ), I would struggle to play my best.

The objective is to find a racket that is:
    1. Even balanced, 3U
    2. Fast handling for quick doubles exchanges, drives, defence, etc.
    3. High tension is a must, I'm at 27-28 lbs now, moving up to 30 when ready.
    4. Although I can generate my own power just from swing speed, a measure of power reserve from the racket is definitely favourable, so nothing too stiff. Power is the only criteria which I cant personally judge without buying the rackets.

On that lengthy intro, here are my findings:

1. YY Nanospeed 9900
    The source of the cloned piece of carbon that is my apacs, this is one HELL of a fast racket! Lightning quick head speeds can be achieved just by flicking my wrist and I envy the way it cuts thru air. Stiffness is definitely noticeable over the apacs. Changeovers between forehand and backhand wrist shots seems effortless. The head is less stiff compared to ARC10, so might affect control with the high tension i'm running.

2. YY Arc Saber 10
    Seems a bit head heavy compared to the NS9900 although it says even balanced on the shaft. Not as quick in handling and swing speed as the N9900 too, but no way a sloth. Seems to recoil more when swung hard, but not whippy like my apacs. The recoil might be the repulsion technology which helps in more power transferred to the shuttlecock. If so, then might come in useful in awkward situations or when tired.

3. Victor Brave Sword 09
    Highly recommended by some. Koreans seem to like this racket. Good construction, not too sure on the looks of the multifaceted cross section of the head. It's an elongated hexagon shape of some kind, look at it and you'll understand. Very stiff, slightly head heavy. Similar in feel to the ARC10 for swing speed and handling.

4. Fleet Woven 999 and 888
    I must say, I'm VERY impressed with the construction of these two rackets, especially the 999. Stiff head, and clear lacquer (no paint) lets u see the beautiful woven carbon fiber used in the construction, reminds me of my fullface helmet. Both are stiff, the 888 seems to be more head heavy than the 999. Didnt notice that the 888 is widebody and 999 is slimmer (thanks Willi@m). The aero head of 999 seems to cut thru air similar to NS9900, midway between NS9900 and ARC10/BS09. Highly recommended by the shopkeeper as an alternative to the high end YYs.

5. apacs Tantrum 250
    Wanted to try the Lethal 50 but out of stock. Decent construction and good stiffness. Faster head speed than ARC10/BS09, coz it feels more even balanced. Handling is good too, and cant complain about the price! Might be a good backup, but wouldnt give a final say until I try the Lethal 50.

6. RSL X3 Gold and Silver
    Also highly regarded by the non-YY players. Ultra bling bling colours, both silver and gold would attract attention no matter what is ur skill level. Gold seems more head heavy and stiffer too, Silver feels faster and handles quicker too. Feels just a bit slower than the ARC10/BS09, also also somehow a bit heavier. Power is apparently aplenty, according to the shop guy.

Phew, ok done. Currently as you might see, I'm leaning towards the two Yonexs and the Malaysia Boleh Fleet. Two questions remain: Anybody using/used these rackets have anything to add to my findings so I can choose better? And is the Fleet really as good as the Yonexs, just lacking the right brand marketing and also price?

Please comment.