Cheap Goose or Expensive Duck *v*

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by invisbear, Apr 15, 2009.

1. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for cheap durable feather shuttles for feather beginners.

I'm planning a move from plastic to feather since it seems that my technique will never improve when playing plastic(I hardly ever need to do a full smash, a good half smash is all it takes to win, which is boring...the half smash goes so fast :( which don't look cool, also I like the loud sound of feather shuttles:D)

Shall I buy Expensive Duck feathers or cheap Goose feathers? :confused:
    I see Mybadmintonstore sells Hi-Qua Special Goose and duck feathers, while the special edition goose is only US$11.50tube which is even cheaper then most ducks. Expenisve duck is US$15.95, bit too expensive, however there is an orange one at US$12.50.

So has anyone used the Hi-Qua special adition goose before? Are they durable?
    http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_58_59_83&products_id=693

Also are mybadmintonstore reliable? Do they ship fast? I'm in UK.

Many Thanks

2. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Regular Member

Student
    Exactly the question I wanted to ask! Mybadmintonstore is trustworthy and offers free delivery. It takes about 10-12 days to arrive as far as I can remember. I am contemplating on getting either a cheap tube of goose feather shuttles or a high end duck feather shuttle. I reckon the goose feathers will have better durability, but will they fly as good as expensive duck feathers?

3. paulstevo

paulstevo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
  4. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    But then the Head AP60 is 11pounds and more a high end feather, we're only feather beginners will the more expensive ones really be more durable? if we mishit quite a lot?

I want a review of the Hi-Qua Special Goose really, since its like a low end cheap goose.

p.s. which did you end up buying then? is it good?

5. paulstevo

paulstevo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Ended up trying the Head AP60s and the Wilson Topline 100s..
    Would say the Wilsons seem a better shuttle from what i have encountered but cannot complain about the Head AP60s....
    You can pick up 2 dzn AP60s from central sports for £25 delivered not sure if thats too expensive for you ?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i would send a email to Winston of mybadmintonstore to ask for his opinion.

7. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    I ended up ordering the Head AP60 shuttles, they are really good fly really well and very durable compare to the cheap practice ones :)

but since the free delivery is no more from direct sports I might be ordering Wilson topline80 instead, similar price and both big racket brands I suppose they will be similar right?

p.s. too lazy to send emails :p

8. paulstevo

paulstevo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Give as many as you can a try thats what im going to do..
    Also i have heard that some batches of the same brand number shuttle can also vary..which again makes it harder..
    The Heads are good value imho..

9. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I like Goose feathers more, for some reason. Not sure why, but the flight path isn't that much different. My I used to use Duck feathers until my friend broke his wrist and stopped playing badminton. He gave me all his remaining relics including his 10 Dozens of "Silver Crane" birds. I've looked and looked and searched for them but no where do I find them being sold. Shame since I only have 2 more tubes left.