Improving my Backhand :(!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by x0alex0x, Apr 15, 2009.

1. x0alex0x

x0alex0x Regular Member

well badminton tryouts has come up and rite now its the last cut.. x_X and my backhand is 2 weak! ;( im still in grade 8 so im a beginner in badminton xD my smashes are good but my backhand needs HUGE improvement and my footwork needs a bit of work as well.I put my thumbs on the back of the racket so it kinda helps my backhand but my backhand is still really weak x-x:eek:

2. Scott_G500

Scott_G500 Regular Member

Student
    When I was in 8th grade, my backhand was weak too. I practiced my backhand by doing backhand strokes all the time. No specific technique training. Now I'm in 9th grade and I can clear the length of the court.

3. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

Grade 8... don't learn to backhand yet. It's all about footwork. The best backhand you'd really need is to drop or cross court drop. I never had a backhand until last year, grade 10. I can backhand smash now, but its still inconsistent. It's not a good thing to rely on your backhand a lot, it should only be used when you're in complete control of the game or when you're in a REALLY tight pinch.

I dominated everyone at the beginning of grade 10 and I didn't have much of a backhand, only because I was quick. If you really need a backhand that badly, you should work on your footwork then.

#3 azn32boi, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Tie a bird to a strong peice of string, like dental floss, hang it, and practice hitting it with as much snap as possible. Whipping towels works too. The problem i have with the backhand is it makes me lazy on the court, now i try to mostly just cover with my forehand.

5. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    if you have a strong arm, then back hand shouldn't be a problem unless, your timing of the contact point is wrong. It's all about the timing of the contact point. And you dont want to follow through your stroke too much.
    well anyway about timing you might not think is not important, because you gonna say oh i hit the bird i hit the bird who cares, it just that my arm is weak that's all. Well let me give you an idea to prove my point. Go find a friend "that is humongous dude, if you want that who never play badminton b4. But of course, some people are talented they have good timing. especially gamers. Anyway let hold the racquet and do backhand motion WITHOUT the bird. I'm pretty sure whoever has a bigger arm will make the sound louder. But i can guarantee with you if he doesn't play badminton he can't hit back hand, or even forehand, his forehand might not harder than yours.
    another way to prove you. You can find alot of old people at the badminton clubs. I meant like 50 or 60 can do backhand harder than most of high school student. And please dont tell me those old people are stronger than high school students.
    so bottom line is, timing is everything. Not just for backhand, pretty much all shots in badminton.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    game has it right. it's all about timing. further more, i'd say focus on the most important things, footwork, correct technique and consistency. practice backhands when you're mucking around with friends or at club. i'd spend actual training time on other things.

7. _chiem

_chiem Regular Member

when you talk about grade 8 you mean??? school wise? my two cents worth, play against a wall while you wait, improves your reaction time and allows you to practice your backhand without making a fool out of yourself on a court

8. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Backhand is 3 precise movement which need close to perfect timing,

I'll make a great badminton backhand tutorial this summer for
    bcf!

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:D

we will be greatful for that.

Backhand - is something a lot of people want :D

10. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    I started playing badminton since 8yr - 14yr, then injured in gymnastic.

17yrs later: now on my 8 months of playing badminton again: Finally, i discovered the secret of doing a backhand: nobody including my semi professional uncle who show me how to play badminton at early age even have a clue of doing the backhand. Once you discover the back-hand technique: You would just laugh about how the hell you did not figure this out. Now, i am up my game 30% after discovering my backhand/smash: I am no longer fears of weak back hand or have to use a round the house technique-->> sorry, cannot reveal the secret or technique.

Yes, back hand is very important part of your badminton: Don't let people fool you, you dont need it((these are people who cannot clear a back hand))). OK...my 2 cents.

11. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster

The backhand conspiracy theory, the one nobody wants you to know that makes your game up 30%. I would be happy that you share, I'll share a video this summer explaining it in details.

12. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    real **** lol
    "i know this big secret but i cant tell you" haha
    whatever, you're right about the backhand being important though
    those who can backhand clear have a big advantage to those who can't

13. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    lol theres no secret to a backhand lol......its practice and technique you don't even have to have a terrifically strong arm...its more or less the setup and technique.
    Wrist and flick is where you get your power not particularly your muscle/arm strength itself.
    watch some videos on backhand and see how taufik really uses his elbow pointing then a quick flick through.

practice practice practice and over time youl produce some better and cleaner strokes.

14. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Scott you are pro :p didn't obtain it until 10th grade, and it is still cruddy.

Backhand sorta come naturally, with the right form and practice.

15. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    if you're willing to dispose your overhead shot for your newfound backhand skill, you must be having the best backhand in the world man...(or maybe your overhead is too weak?):p

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Practise, and if one way isnt' going right, try to figure out what's wrong, and practise more. You can't expect to learn to backhand clear if you never try!

17. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Good footwork + Good overhead shot will cover for your poor backhand. Just develop a good around the head smash to cover your backhand and you will definitely make your tryouts. While it will require more effort, it will also yield better results. A good backhand even from the most talented require a year or more to learn (I'm talking about having the power, control and shot selection of at least a drop and clear both straight and crosscourt) plus it'll be a weaker shot than your overhead would be unless you're Mr. Hidayat.

18. Pureskillz76

Pureskillz76 Regular Member

well, if you can't do a good backhand clear, u can always do a backhand drop so at the least, your opponent can't kill the birdy off

19. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    but if you just afraid of your backhand and keep trying to find other way to cover it. Turn out that's going to leave your opponent know, or aspect the net shot gonna be. So just practice. It's all about timing, not that hard.
    Try to combine your body motion to increase the power.
    snap your wrist, don't just use your shoulder.
    Lol mention about shoulder, I actually know this one guy ONLY use his shoulder for backhand (well by using shoulder, that does include the body motion). I mean i'm surprise that he able to do that shot. It just look so funny and weird. However is not totally strong yet, just decent.

20. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    to be able to hit a backhand clear is important, because if you cant your opponent woud just rush to the net when they see you going for a backhand, and kill it.