plz advise on new racket,i'm lost

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jockey, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jockey

jockey Regular Member

UCT student
    i'm actually playing wiz cab 8, strung at 18lbs 2u. i have problems clearing to backline.advise if a new racket strung at higher tension would help?????
    if yes which type of racket(yonex plz)??? i hav attacking style but need to improve defense.:confused:

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

No, but a coach will help you loads. You can improve your defense if the opponent's attack from his baseline instead of from half-court.

3. NaVdEep

NaVdEep Regular Member

Business Owner
    Improve your technique!

I would like to share my badminton learning experience with you, cuz it might help you.
    When I first started, I used a YY ISO 75MF at factory tension and string. I was able to clear from baseline to baseline in about 3 months (controlling trajectory and height of the clear inclusive). I increased my tension on that racket as my swing speed increased, upto 22 lbs.; when it finally gave up.
    RIP
    I upgraded to a CAB 20, best racket in the history of Carbonex series, and practiced backhand clear on it, a s**tty one indeed. Then I started to learn that I was an offensive player and needed a head heavy smash preferrable racket.
    So I bought an AT 900P, Ti-10 2nd gen, and an AT 700 LTD., all these rackets are now strung at 26/28 lbs.
    I am yet to increase my swing speed to get optimum power from 27/29 lbs. tension.

Disadvantages of getting a new reacket with high tension for a newbie like you:

1) Extremely sore arm at high tensions cuz your swing speed is not fast enough for your muscles to absorb the shock speed of the hit especially a smash.

2) Waste of money in terms of racket expenditure because you won't get most power from your new high end racket if you haven't gotten your technique right.

I would recommend watching youtube tutorial videos especially the ones made from the all england teams (Gayle Emms/Robertson), they are absolutely worth it.

Have fun!

4. Abeeba

Abeeba Regular Member

Student
    I agree with navdeep. I bought a high-end racket(AT500) far too soon and ended up regretting it. He's completely right. I didn't have my technique down so my clears didn't go very far, and my smashes were pathetic. In the end when I was messing around just hitting back and forth, I went to smash and my muscles couldn't withstand the force produced by the racket and on top of the fact that I had particularly sweaty hands that day, plus the grip was pretty worn out...and the racket just flew out of my hand. Don't buy a racket just because you read a few good reviews about it. Buy yourself a MP-7. Haha just kididng...Get yourself an middle-end racket within the $100 range, you sound like an intermediate player.

5. jockey

jockey Regular Member

UCT student
    cool piece of advice, thx guys.