Cab 20 too good for a beginner??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by anandalphonse, Apr 17, 2009.

1. anandalphonse

anandalphonse Regular Member

Engineer
    I'm a middle level beginner,who left out playn for last 6 years ..Now I'm back into the game,playn continuously for last couple of months. I bought a 2UG5 2005 cab 20sp(orange) since it was a bit stiff and would be similar to my old racquet(steel frame/ aluminium head),and strung it with Bg65 at 24 Lbs. But after 3 months of usage, it is not responding well, and i find it wey too head light(with BP only around ~275mm with strings n over grips removed! ). My base line to base line shorts are pretty weak, Smashes are getting flatter. Only thing working best rite now is my defence is pretty good, n I can take some close to body shorts, back hands, which was virtually impossible in others eyes:eek:.Since cab 20 is an advaned racquet, is it difficult for a learner like me to harness its full potential? . Is it wise stick to Cab 20 and try to get my shorts rite?I play doubles, me usually at back .Should I get my self a pretty even balanced racquet(like mp 29 Lt)?, or much a head heavy one(an armotec 250)??....I guiss getting another advanced level racquet wount work with at my level of play! So I'm not tryn to get any top end racquets..I'm requesting ur openion since some of u might have came accross similar siutation like mine...

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Cab20 is not a very beginner friendly racket mainly because it has a tiny sweetspot. For the same reason, it is a very good training racket. Hit the sweetspot and the Cab will reward you with a nice boom. I do not think it is that difficult to use but I have not personally tried the orange Cab20 (only used the blue/red version very long ago).

It may be that you are not using your wrist enough. You might want to reduce your string tension to see if it helps. See if you can get a better player to help you out.

3. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I also think the problem may lies on the tension of your string. You may just try 22lb. If you are so used to metal frame rackets, you always find the newer rackets a bit headlight. Just don't try to buy another expensive racket for the sake of not hitting the shuttle right. Try lowering the tension and try some other strings.

4. anandalphonse

Engineer
    thanks

thank U 4 ur replies..ya cab 20 has a tiny sweet spot and I rarely hit the sweet spot.I am tempted tp buy some low end yonex racket which r much more user friendly like MP 29lt(here we get it for around $40)or a bit more expensive AT 250($60)..which one would it be a wiser Idea?

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

It depends. If you seriously want to improve, the cab20 is useful to keep around. The tiny sweetspot and it's communicativeness will provide you with a lot of feedback about your strokes. OTOH, the newer iso designs have a larger sweetspot but are less (IMHO) communicative about your strokes.

6. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    agree.....keep stick with it, and improve your technique with practice. Once you can handle it rewards you more and you can change your racket to any ISO type and find it much more easier.

7. anandalphonse

Engineer
    yup string tension is the problem i guess ..last time when is strung it I had told the shop owner to string it to 24 lbs on BG 65 because i need to end up with 22 lbs on BG 65. But the shop keeper gave my racquet to some new stringer I guess.When i went to my usual stringer he's telling me that he did'nt string it.According to him the string tension in my racquet is still above 27 Lbs:eek:. I guess thats why it feels like I'm hitting a wall when I'm going for smashes. My stringer told me to get it stringed at 22x23 Lbs @ BG 80 or BG 66 ..would it be a good choice? any body use BG 80/ BG 66@ 23 Lbs @ Cab 20???

#7 anandalphonse, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009