User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha no problem. electrical tape is extremely thin, and i think its actually thinner than paper when stretched out. I dont think there would be significant grip size change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The electric tape also serve as the barrier between the adhesive and the wood. Sometimes, the adhesive of any replacement grip is too sticky to the extent that when the grip is replaced after several days or weeks, bits of the grip will be left sticking to the wood. It has to be scraped off the wood. The electric tape eases out the process of replacing a grip.

Btw, here's what I do to save money on using towel grips. I purposely buy bath towels like this:

Once they are worn out and/or I don't want to use them anymore, I cut them into strips. See the ribbed pattern of the towel, that's where I cut along. I use a double-sided tape for the adhesive on one side of the strips I cut. That's all you need for a towel grip.

Just imagine how many towel grips you can make out of one bath towel (much more if the ribbings are vertical ). In my place, even if I buy a brand new bath towel only to be used for making towel grips, I can still save a lot than buying single towel grips.
    Last edited by jaymz; 04-20-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can make two grips out of one "lane" I cut along the entire length of the bath towel. So it doesn't matter if the ribbings are in vertical or horizontal. And even if I can only make one grip out of one "lane" cut horizontally, that would still be around 15+ grips (depending on the width of each "lane").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure someone mentioned before.

Pre-made towel grips usually come with adhesive backing (quite strong ones too, enough to rip the paint off your racquet) so we like to strip the replacement grip and place hockey tape because it's thin and durable and will keep out the sweat from corroding the wood. It doesn't hurt to wrap the hockey tape a little further up than you would grip it because like I said, the adhesive is usually strong enough to pull off your racquet's paint. (I have some black plastic cones to prove it)

This works for 90% of the people at my club. Some may prefer a layer of overgrip under the tape for a bit more cushioned and soft feeling. Towel is very heavy and effective at altering the balance of your racquet, (may be good or bad depending on how much you like the balance of your racquet) so some people may grip it up to the shaft so that the racquet doesn't feel too headlight, and some may add some grip on the buttcap to make the racquet more headlight.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk View Post
    I'm sure someone mentioned before.

Pre-made towel grips usually come with adhesive backing (quite strong ones too, enough to rip the paint off your racquet) so we like to strip the replacement grip and place hockey tape because it's thin and durable and will keep out the sweat from corroding the wood. It doesn't hurt to wrap the hockey tape a little further up than you would grip it because like I said, the adhesive is usually strong enough to pull off your racquet's paint. (I have some black plastic cones to prove it)

This works for 90% of the people at my club. Some may prefer a layer of overgrip under the tape for a bit more cushioned and soft feeling. Towel is very heavy and effective at altering the balance of your racquet, (may be good or bad depending on how much you like the balance of your racquet) so some people may grip it up to the shaft so that the racquet doesn't feel too headlight, and some may add some grip on the buttcap to make the racquet more headlight.

Hope this helps!
    I think you're refering to sock tape? or stick tape? remember people used stick tape long before sock tape came around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ray_mond View Post
    the purpose of electrical or hockey tape is to cover the wood, with a semi waterproof ability.. sellotape isnt too tacky and waterproof if i remember correctly..

i know people who use towel grips without the tape underneath, but its a risk you take. i sweat quite a bit, and i can tell you, my grips are soaked by the end of practise
    u ppl know that plastic wrap fits the description, right? ive talked to a coach before, and he said that it's the least expensive and one of the most effective ways. he also mentioned that he used electrical tape to tape the end of the grip instead of the tape provided cause it sticks better and is more durable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saran wrap? I've never tried that.

Hm, real towel grips from towels.. very intriguing... is the grip good?...absorbency is probably top rate.. this sparks another idea.. anyone know the towels.. that are super absorbent, but are super small and thin? We could always use those as towel grips of course, some of us may have to wring them out and hang them out to dry after play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ray_mond View Post
    saran wrap? I've never tried that.

Hm, real towel grips from towels.. very intriguing... is the grip good?...absorbency is probably top rate.. this sparks another idea.. anyone know the towels.. that are super absorbent, but are super small and thin? We could always use those as towel grips of course, some of us may have to wring them out and hang them out to dry after play
    i was serious about the plastic/saran wrap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I did use Towel Grips, I too used Saran Wrap and it works great! I found a greater liking to the Alpha Overgrips though. Saran Wrap is useful however you may have to reapply it every so often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phamd124 View Post
    When I did use Towel Grips, I too used Saran Wrap and it works great! I found a greater liking to the Alpha Overgrips though. Saran Wrap is useful however you may have to reapply it every so often.
    it's cheap. u buy like 1 roll of saran wrap, cut it so that it's the size like a grip, then wrap it around. and that one roll works for so many times that u need to reapply it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh, you could use condems :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would it be ideal to put eletrical tape over the factory grip, and then the towel grip?
    would that still affect the factory grip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tony531 View Post
    would it be ideal to put eletrical tape over the factory grip, and then the towel grip?
    B.U.M.P? (15 char)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would it be ideal to put eletrical tape over the factory grip, and then the towel grip? would that still affect the factory grip?
    When you take the tape off, the factory grip may become a bit messed up and pulled/torn/etc. You probably can't use it as your only grip and would probably have to use an overgrip or towel grip but if you're using electric tape right now, I'm assuming another grip goes over anyways, so this doesn't really pose a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use exactly what your suggesting electric tape with towel grip on top.

In my experience electric tape doesnt damage the factory grip at all, the worst i found was it had a little bit off sticky stuff come off the electric tape and go onto the factory grip which was easily rubbed off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,
    Just to clarify the general opinion, as some of these are slightly confusing . or maybe I'm dumber than i used to be ...

But when you buy a racket, there is the standard issue leather grip, and then you would place overgrip, or grap, or just plain grip (karakal, Yonex...so forth), good so far?
    For the Towel grip, Did you remove everything down to the wood, then add 'sweat resisting' tape and apply it? Or, leather, 'SR' tape, then towel?
    I've decided to try out towl, but i don't want to ruin it before applying knowwaddamsaying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGorilla View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just to clarify the general opinion, as some of these are slightly confusing . or maybe I'm dumber than i used to be ...

But when you buy a racket, there is the standard issue leather grip, and then you would place overgrip, or grap, or just plain grip (karakal, Yonex...so forth), good so far?
    For the Towel grip, Did you remove everything down to the wood, then add 'sweat resisting' tape and apply it? Or, leather, 'SR' tape, then towel?
    I've decided to try out towl, but i don't want to ruin it before applying knowwaddamsaying?
    Its most effective if you strip everything down to the wood, apply the water resistant tape then add the towel grip.

Also i buy Victor Towel grip rolls from my friend whos Taiwanese. He gets them sent from his uncle. Costs me like $5 per roll and i get about 15 grips out of it. Good quality towel aswell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast