User Tag List

Thread: BG80 at 22 lbs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BG80 at 22 lbs?

I have a Yang-yang racket which I bought last year. It was pre-strung by manufacture at 22 lbs. Over the year, I believe the string tension has come down to 19-20 lbs.

I have a problem with this racket as is. I am not able to hit baseline-to-baseline clear shots with comfort (but I can when using another racket which has a more flexible shaft). So I am thinking to re-string. I have checked Yonex website. BG80 is recommended for high repulsion which appears to suit what I want. My next question was then at what string tension. Some at this forum mentioned good results at 22 lbs or higher with BG80.

When I talked with a stringer who is very experienced, he told me to choose 24 lbs. His reason is that BG80 is thin and will not deliver its designed power at low tensions such as 22 lbs. I take it that at 22 lbs Bg80 would not help me to get what I want when hitting clear shots.

What are your opinions?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree that it's not really worth having BG80 at 22; there are cheaper alternatives if you want go that low. In my experience BG80 reaches full power in the mid-to-high twenties unless you're a professional - I can't use it at 31lbs, my usual tension.

It's certinaly worth trying 24, but if that doesn't help you should look at the racket itself (since you mention that you can hit full-length clears with a softer shafted one).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i think simple bg65 will do at 24lbs. i use bg65ti 90% of the time because they're more affordable and more durable. being able or not to clear comfortably would be the matter of technique and getting use to a racket as well. Yes strings play a big role, but cheaper strings don't necessarily make your racket inferior, besides you're not sure what tension you would like to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO i think that BG80's only show their colours at ATLEAST 26lbs+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hit best with bg 80 at 23 lbs, with mp 99's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for prompt replies. I have handed the racket over to another stringer for 22 lbs. If that does not work out, I will try it on my another flexible racket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a feedback:
    BG80 at 22 lbs delivers a lot better than I expected. Full court clear shot is now piece of cake. Also my smash has become threatening. Should have replaced the string long long time ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, BG-80 is quite nice. you get to feel slightly higher tension as compare to other string (expect bg-85 of course) strung on the same tension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually string my MP99 @ 22lbs x 24lbs... pretty good.. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use to string my reket by using bg 80 24x26 lbs pretty good with 4 knot more tight and can hold longer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used BG-80 at different tensions, from the lowly 21lb to 27lb. I don't think there is something call a string's optimum tension. It is all down to personal preference. Just that I hate BG-70pro at low tension and I very much like BG-66 at 26lb, just that it breaks all too often. BG-65Ti at 24lb is also nice for me generally as well. You'll have to experiment yourself to find which combination suits you best.

Just like my friend just could not manage a single smash across the net with my Ti10 @26lb BG-80 at all but then when he uses his AT200 with stock string, he's got the most powerful smashes all night and he is a killer even at the baseline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently use BG80 at 23lbs on my Arc 10, NS9900 and Ns9000X and they all feel excellent!! I may consider stringing them at 24ls next time