To Lose on Purpose

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by OSFcross, Apr 21, 2009.

1. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Ok, here's what happened earlier:

Coming home from badminton, my dad told me that I should "learn more about sports psychology" and that "I could learn more through losing". I'm guessing someone on court (a badminton buddy) got PO'ed or something because he didn't win any games today. My dad then told me that I should let them win sometimes because I know that I can already beat them.

So the question now is, would you lose on purpose just to make someone feel better? I've never even considered doing it until now because I've always felt that sandbagging a game would be a greater insult than just beating someone outright. I'd never want to be treated lightly, so I try to give it my all on court.

2. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Ive seen some players get very frustrated when they get beaten. That's thier problem, its a game and they should learn to relax and control the anger.

I have thrown a game, but only because the opposition was a friend.

3. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

Never lose! Give some points to make the game looks more competitive, but win at the end.

And sometimes put myself in bad situation on purpose, just to test my defence :)

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

No you should never lose on purpose!

Also wanted to say if your playing a lower level player - don't keep playing trick shots ( maybe a few - but to reason)

You should maybe not finish the point straight away - but shouldn't loose.

I loved Lee Jae Bok's way of coaching - and how a player should be , and he also said approximately the same thing.

Maybe instead of finishing the point straight away , play a different shot.

This way your opponent can get better aswell and you can practice other shots :D

5. Jon5614

Jon5614 Regular Member

Just keep playing safe shots (clears, maybe to mid-court if opponent not so good), and less smash / drop shots, to give your opponent more chance. Don't give them an easy ride, but play less end-rally style shots.

Or practice trick shots, which sometimes go wrong, so you might lose some points that way.

Or just really focus entirely on something like foot work. I find if I do that too much then my shots become poorer, because I'm concentrating more on feet so less on racket.

6. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    How are they going to get better if you lose to them on purpous?

7. Jon5614

Jon5614 Regular Member

Not sure if that's at me, if not just to clarify my above post: don't lose, just give them a chance to get a few of their own shots in. If they can't ever touch the shuttle they can't do anything, whereas put them in a rally which to them seems competitive (i.e. they're running around a lot and pushing themselves to the best of their ability) and even if they lose it they can learn.

I suppose if it really did make someone feel bad if they always lost, and if you did want to be kind, you might make their day. To me badminton is a lot about fun, if someone is missing out on all the fun by losing all their games, then whilst they would not learn from you letting them win, they might get some enjoyment / motivation. I suppose if you're just playing friendly games then why not try it once, see what happens, how you feel, how they react, it would be interesting and wouldn't hurt you...

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Never, ever lose on purpose. Just why? You won't learn anything from letting someone win, neither will they learn anything. You'll just give them false confidence and they'll get even more destroyed in their next game. Don't do it.

9. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    Learn how to absorb failure but don't lose on purpose. If it becomes habit then you will not be able to regain your fighting spirit.

10. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    I play mostly doubles.
    So if the other 3 players are weak, I usually just prolong the rallies and work on my control and placement.
    I don't really mind if I win or lose during these games.
    But competitive games, losing is not an option.

11. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    haha 2 years ago when I wasn't as good in badminton as now, I would always become frustrated when a friend and I challenge grown ups to a doubles match and they would go easy on us, just clearing all of our attacks back the whole time and got us to move around the court a lot. I guess all of that really helped get our shots down though. So the bottom line is, don't lost on purpose and let them practice more.

12. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    That's probably one of the only things I get to do in games right now. I only either clear, lob, or defend. In the end, they still tend to lose due to unforced errors. They rarely even hit the bird in my direction nowadays.

13. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    If I'm playing someone poorer than me I'd tend to agree with a number of previous posters and focus a little more on shot placement/consistency rather than destroying them - I don't really see the point in that.

At the same it takes nothing to compliment them on a good shot and give them some encouragement where you can. If I'm playing in a club I really don't care about winning or losing, but I care about how I play.

In a match... a win is everything.

14. xshadow134x

xshadow134x Regular Member

if it's a tournament, u nvr lose. every point as the last point and every rally to win.

when ur practicing, lose ur points only cause ur working on consistency then it goes out cause it's too near the line. move the opponents around and think about wht ur doing.

ur dad has a point with losing games which will help u understand sport psychology, but don't lose on purpose. play someone who has a way higher skill level and tell them to go all out xD

15. chewablemorphin

I can't see this helping them in any way, giving them a false sense victory, also gives them a false sense of confidence. Plus the next time they play they will think it will be a close game, although this sounds mostly circumstantial, i don't see it benefiting you, or the player you are trying to make feel better. I agree that making them move around the court is ok, but to let them win is detrimental to both you and the other player.

16. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

play other than normal (longer rallies) is already similar to letting thewm win because u can loose more easy in this way and maybe u even loose if you start making the game more interesting.
    For me is always the problem that i tend to loose games aagainst a little bit worse or similar players because i like to gamble, see if i can can win another way. or even want to train some weak points against similar kind of players in real game. however in league games (important) i can control it a little better. ​

17. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

it think thats a point: most people dont like to destroy worse opponents. Most always adapt a little bit to their level and then win without to much effort. Thats why i think is easy to adapt quite fast if u always play with better or worse opponents.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

"You learn more from losing" implies that the other bloke was better and you should analyze why he beat you, with which I firmly agree. Losing on purpose when you could win is, as far as I can see, pointless.

It occasionally transpires that we have old/young combo doubles games, i.e. a senior and junior on each side, in which case the older players will back off on the attacking. For example, if the junior floats an odd loose clear, we won't smack it down his throat, but play something else (like a drive or steep drop - we call them "gentleman's shots":)) - the idea isn't to lose the rally, but to keep it going.

19. chewablemorphin

There is no satisfaction in badminton greater then smashing down their throat.

20. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Losing a game on purpose is unethical. There are several reasons for playing a game, but those more or less are to win, gain experience, have fun. You can lose and have fun, but you dont go into a match trying to lose. If you throw it or let them win, you are disrespecting your opponent because they will not grow mentally as a player, or physically pushed to get better either. You dont see professional teams start their 2nd line and give their opponents the opportunity to take advantage of them. You honor your opponents by bringing your best game and elevating the entire sport. Bringing anything less is disrespect.