Unwanted Comments

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cvanbui, Apr 21, 2009.

1. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    About three weeks ago a volunteer high school badminton coach told me that he has to UNDO the skills and technique that I've taught them. In the beginning I work with both, but concentratted on doubles until singles did not produce the result, however we were able to go 7-1 and a third place for single in a tournament afterward I only intermittantly show-up to help them.

As a player he has not grasp any badminton concept nor the laws of it, and also lack the fundamentals to drill the players. I've notice that he have used the drills that I was drilling with. To add to the above statement that he said, he also commentted on the fact that I might be a better player than him
    but that doesn't mean I know the fundamentals of the game, such as technique or etc..

The players ask me to come by more often and help them, because its there best season to date but I am so "pissed" that I am afraid to loose it in front of the head coach. What do you guys/gals think?

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To be a good coach, it does not mean that he/she has to be a good player

True. To be a good coach, it does not mean that he/she has to be a good player.

Let the head coach make the final decision. Or, you take over his/her position.

3. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    I agree on the fact that an experienced player may not be a good coach at all and the fact that a not so good player can still be an efficient coach. I believe it's the knowledge of the laws of badminton and its techniques that count.

Now why did he UNDO the skills and technique you have taught your students? Were the stuff you taught actually incorrect?

As a member of a highschool badminton team, I would normally ask my coach "why" whenever he corrects my mistake. I would want to know why am I doing the technique incorrectly.

Now pretend I am a student of yours. If you actually gave me a reason as to why the technique you are teaching me is important and the reason I have to do it a certain way, then you have done nothing wrong. But as to the volunteer coach, if he just takes me aside and UNDO the things you taught me, telling me I'm doing it wrong without a specific reason, I would wonder which coach is correct.

So in a student's point of view, the coach with an reasonable explanation on the skill/technique is better.

So if you feel that you have done nothing wrong teaching your students, you should tell the volunteer coach to step down. Or ask the students yourself for their opinion, whether the volunteer coach or you are helping more.If the volunteer coach thinks his way of teaching is correct, then tell him to give an explanation as to why his teachings are efficient.

Well, all of this is based on the assumption that you are properly teaching your students the correct form, skills, etc.

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    if your positive youre right and the coach is not, then just privately tell your students that if they want to learn proper technique come to you instead of listening to the head coach during practices.
    That's kind of mean though, and I would only do it if the head coach was say, a physed coach with an ego who actually has no idea how to play badminton properly.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very difficult position. That person must be very good or bigheaded to say something like that.

For my own situation, I have learnt things in the past which looked very strange initially to me. I used to think, "can this be right?". One good example was when I first learnt how to hold the racquet for driving the shuttle (this was in the days before we had a techniques forum :))

I think Chris has the best option.

I think it's important to keep your cool and let the students come to you as well.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    How confident that you think you are much better than the coach? If you are positive, and rank the students' needs higher than the relationship with the coach, try to continue with your process to help. If you want to be a friendly guy, and decide to keep quiet, you can give the tips in a "secret" way, like others suggested.

However, if you do not think that yourself is so much better than the coach, then, better leave the coach alone, and let him handle his team.

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    It's a volunteer coach, not the head coach. Meaning, that person just drops by and helps and is not getting paid at all by the school district.

I am assuming cvanbui is the assistant coach.

8. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    I agree, that to be a good coach one doesn't have to be a good player. My friend whom used to coach the team ask me to "officially" coach however I have other commitments and informed the head coach that I will volunteer my time because I love the game. The head coach has put me fully in charge of doubles and singles for she has no knowledge of the game even after they have found an asst. coach, which is not the person I am refering to. The "UNDO-COACH" came in afterward, he was beaten by some of our singles player which I was focusing on.

I don't have any problems with people telling me if I am going in the wrong direction, given that they know what is wrong. I agree to just blow him off and concentrate on the players.

9. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Well... we may not be capable of beating you in a game (too old to do so due to energy constraints), we may know some basic theories.

Just tell us what was been taught to the students, and we can easily determine if it should be 'undoed'...

Thanks.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Losing a game can have many reasons other than the fundamentals, such as age, physical condition, injury, etc. Also, single and doubles are totally different games. A good single player, might not be as effective in doubles, due to formation, communication, etc.

There are many young guns in the local club, I might having trouble to keep up with in singles. They simply run 10 times faster, jump 15 times higher, and had tons of energy. However, many of them do not have solid fundamentals, which means, they will have a hard time to deal with others, who has the same great physical conditions as they do.

On the other end, many elderly players may not get 10 points from me in single, as their coverage is slow. However, they are the master crafty players, which I never want to go against in competitive double games. With effective coverage from their partners, they can give me tons of headaches in the front with their solid strokes.

11. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I coach at a different school of the same area, which we compete against each other and I have say that in a very short time period, CVANBUI has taught the player well. I actually stole some of his ideas for coaching my doubles.:D

They way how he coach his double is pretty straight forward. Like all of the great pairs like LYD/JJS, MK/HS, FHF/CY, and TBH/KKK, there's a dominant front, and a dominant rear player. So the players have their rolls. Not just that, he taught them the basic fundamentals of the game, like when the shuttle cleared to the opponent, then you get into the side by side position, when the opponents clears to them, then they get in the front and back position. On top of that, he taught them how to cover for the partner. Like shadowing the shuttle. He also taught them that if there's a loose shuttle at the net, lunge forward and tap it down. I don't know how, but he got his girl to grasp the concept in 2 - 2.5 weeks time period and they practice for like an hour or hour and half. A lot of these are really basic understanding of the game, but where we're from. Badminton is not very popular, and those who played never got much exposure to game.

When he was coaching them, the team of 4'10" - 5'2" girls beat oppenents that were much taller and stronger, just base on the fact that his team rotates, and covers for their partner better then the opponent.

12. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    Point taken, LazzyBuddy, but no offense, I think you are heading into a different direction as to the original post- UNDOing of the skills and fundamentals that were taught. However in response to your post, the volunteer coach is about 23 yrs old and is a male whom have played longer than any of the girls on the team. He plays doubles and singles, our singles highest experienced member has two years expericenced versus the +5 plus yrs of the volunteer coach.

The players have informed me that he is not qualified and that is from their assestment. I tried to blow his comments off, but I guess I am not happy for I've put in alot of effort, and the end result is an improvement to seeding #1-2 pending from 5 a year ago.