No Confidence in my style of play anymore.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Radion, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Radion

Radion Regular Member

Student
    Well, I play very awkwardly, My coach told me to stop playing like this, but it doesn't feel right when I change it. For example, when I serve, I let one finger go up when I serve, after I serve, it's normal. My coach says I'll never be good If I continue like this. Also, the players mock me about it, but especially this one kid does it to the extreme. He acted like me swinging, and he missed on purpose. This kid, no one really likes, but it kinda hurts to see someone mocking my style. Is there a way I can get him to stop? He said my style really blows. The only way I think I could shut him up would be by beating him with my style. My coach says I HAVE to change that weird habit I have though. Are they're any strategies I can use to beat the guy, and to prove to my coach that I don't need to change my habit?

I can:
    Serve
    Aim
    Drop ( somewhat)

I cannot:
    Smash
    Clear ( Clear is the one that goes all the way to the back of the court, right?)
    Drive
    Crosscourt Net

I can run medium. Is there a way I can increase my stamina and speed? Thanks.

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Fire your coach if you have no intention to listen to him. You are either wasting your own money or someone else's and you are definitely wasting everyone's (you, your coach and other players in your team) time.

3. Radion

Radion Regular Member

Student
    Well, it's HARD. And I asked my brother, who's more experienced IMO, and he said that it was fine, but the coach said it wasn't. BTW, this is in school.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Errr, I used to play a lot of badminton until I hit a point where there was no way I could improve. In fact, I had had no good badminton training beforehand in techniques and had just learnt by watching videos and other people playing. When I got to HK, it was very obvious that I had not learnt properly.

One day I decided to try and improve but I knew it meant breaking down those old and inefficient habits formed from more than 15 years of playing. I got a well respected coach, told him what I wanted to achieve, did I have the ability to do it and then said I was prepared to go back to basics.

Can you imagine my lessons started with footwork and all I did first was to just walk around the court to the different areas from the base position? Not even run. Even though I could hit smashes and clears, I had to relearn how to hold the racquet properly and overhead swing technique. It took me another 5-6 months. Can you imagine how hard it was? Consider that when I was younger, I had played tournaments and been on my Varsity team...

It's very useful that you've told us what shots you can play and cannot play. In my honest opinion, I do not think you can beat the other guy without learning techniques better. Badminton is not like tennis where you can still play some shots well with 'wierd techniques'.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Rather blunt but true:)

6. Radion

Radion Regular Member

Student
    Hmm. I understand. Please delete this thread.

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    yes, it is better to learn the proper form. You can only get so far with a "weird form"

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    sounds like you have a pretty bad attitude.
    If your not willing to listen to people who have a better idea about the game then you IE your coach then your wasting your time and his time.
    You didnt even really seem sure about what shot a clear was.....so from what we can see doesnt seem that your a very strong/knowledgable player.

Therefore listen to the stronger people watch them learn from them and give yourself plenty of time to adjust.

If everyone learning something new stopped and said "no i dont like doing it that way it doesnt feel right" Then no one would ever learn anything.
    PS im not bagging you out im offering constructive and sharp criticism.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Why delete it? Other people can learn from your mistakes. When we stop learning, we stop growing. Sounds like you're still resistant to ideas you don't like. Many years ago, idosyncratic styles or strokes can be unique and still be useful. Nowadays, you float one up long enough you get smoked. The game itself has grown so much with better technology that techniques are becoming more of a science than an art. Your style maybe comfortable and even impressive when it succeed but eventually proper technique will win out due to efficiency.

Having a proper form means pursuing the best method to move around the court and hitting the shuttle with the least resistance and effort... that's just the beginning. The big question here is whether you're willing to be open to new ideas and objectively compare them to your own.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I used to do that and have my finger like that BTW u MUST stop that as I used to do that and ever since I stoped I have improved so much!!!!!!!!!

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Why such and such technique is better than the others?

It is important to understand why certain styles of technique are considered to be better than others. To improve, we need to know not only the 'HOW' we do it, but the 'WHY' we do it.

Let's look at this example, the 'Backhand Service'.

In a game of Doubles, why do most players now serve with the backhand, and not with the forehand? There must be some advantages in the 'Backhand Service'. So, only if we are convinced that it is better, then we will be willing to learn how to do/use it. If not, we would probably stick to what we usually do (this paragraph assumes that a player started playing Badminton using the 'Forehand Service').

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You need to ask yourself, what's your motivation of training? Simply to beat up an annoying young kid? Or, you really want to improve. If the kid is a very crappy player, you can sooner or later show him your "superior skill", under the assumption that himself is not willing to improve. However, I consider that's simply waste of $$$, to try to prove to others.

If you just try to have some fun, whether to gain the proper stroke might not be necessary. Just have some sweat and have some fun. If you are serious about the game, and want to improve, listen and learn from the more experienced people is the way to go.

Btw, anger is usually a very negative factor in learning. It will jam your head, and make you rush to the wrong direction blindly. :cool:

13. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    bravo to lazybuddy. The only person says the really true, and fact. Anger is usually a very negative factor in learning. I like that. And of course all the credit to people who scold radion? if that's how you spell the word =).
    From my point of view, I think radion does not want to change the style because he just get use to his technique. I DO agree with it. Well according what he said. Because there is nothing wrong with having a weird style of serving. AS LONG AS is not illegal. If his coach did not say oh that is illegal, then it should be fine. And of course, that is only under one condition, his serve is effective. Close to net, accurate, and if his style able to flick from people, then i can't find any reason why he should not use his style. So what if it looks weird? The point of making the shots are making the shots accurate and precise. If his style able to meet those two points then that's good.
    And of course, according to other say, you should take advice, and understand how and why. Eventhough, the advice is seem stupid to you but if it helps then no reason to denied the help.
    Oh and one more thing, people keep saying other stuffs like footwork, the way clear, smash, and other stuffs. Yes of course those stuffs we all need to take advice from stronger player. Practice then test it, see which one is more EFFECTIVE FOR OURSELVES. Please IF ANYONE want to argue with me on this part reply with information. Because i do not think everybody is the same. Example: you're 6 feet tall i'm only 5'4", yea really i'm that short. So please dont tell me, oh no no no, you only need 2 1/2 steps to reach the whole court I'm not even sure i can reach the front court from all the way in the back with 3 steps.

14. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    oh one more thing, just to be annoying. "It's hard to teach the old dog new tricks" I think that's how you say it. I hope you guys get what I say.

15. bradmyster

honestly though....dont be so stubborn. There are a lot more advantages to the correct style of badminton.

You may be an unorthadox style badminton player and be used to it...but im pretty sure unless your at the top level and this style works..you will get a huge improvement in your game if you correct your style.

But like i mentioned earlier you seem like a very amature player...you cant confidently perform half the basic badminton shots. So i personally think you dont have the right to say nah this style works better so i dont wanna change it. If you were in the national squad and competing and it was fine no worrys!!!
    fact is your a beginner learning the basics. So stop whinging and change your attitude from;
    "nah i like mine better so il do it"
    to
    "I want to improve and get better. In order to do this my own preferance right now may not be the correct way. Therefore im going to listen to my coach and do what it takes to become a better badminton player."

AGAIN im not bagging you out or having a go at you. Im simply offering criticism. If you cant handle honest criticism then unfortunately your not going to improve a great deal.

#15 bradmyster, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  16. bradmyster

17. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Perhaps you have not noticed that he is set about proving his coach wrong. Now, there is no need to do that either. Just fire the coach if you are not going to listen.

Using an underhand stroke for all returns is perfectly legal so I guess it will be fine by your measure.

I use a slice backhand serve for over 20 years. My short serve percentage stands at over 80% (coasting over the net) and falling in, and I can slice into either corner as well as flick well for variation.

My coach got me to experiment with a more direct hitting method. Using his method, I now get over 90% good serves -- good enough that I do not even fear most pretty ardent rushers. My serve now falls within 1-1.5" of the short service line and is more adaptable to most shuttle speeds.

Both serves are legal. The one I recently acquired works much better. btw, he also changed my forehand grip (floating thumb) among other things.

My take remains. I hire a coach because I want to improve. I contest the rational of some of the stuff he teaches but so far he always have a valid reason I accepted. If I do not listen to him, I will not train under him -- wastes each other's time and my money.

18. bradmyster

Perfect example of the argument im trying to pursue.
    Good too see there are other people with decent logic on these issues.

19. Radion

Radion Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the help, sorry if I come across as stubborn. It's just that the way I've been getting made fun of was getting to the extreme. The coach won't even let me go to the practices anymore since my style is weird.

20. zqcebtmu

zqcebtmu Regular Member

I suggest you look for a new coach that will allow you to learn the game of badminton. If your coach is this type of person, there's no way you can improve your game under him.

I'm guessing you are in highschool? You are still young and able to learn fairly quickly if you go to a specialized club to learn. Good luck :)