Few Questions.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cookies, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Hey, I just started a year ago, and I still feel that spark when I first started. I've been looking around the forums, and I've come across some terms I do not understand.

What are the following?

Drive
    Clear
    Crosscourt Net

If these are shots, could you guys please tell me how to use them?

Also, does it matter that I put my thumb up on my racket, isolating it away from my fingers? I've recently seen a weird shot. It goes slow, atleast my eyes see it as slow, but in reality, it's very fast. I get too stunned, and by the time I'm unstunned it's already touched the ground. Is there a way to make me go faster?

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Drive is more or less a flat push along the sidelines or crosscourt. Around chest or headheight level. Pretty much an attacking shot.

Clear to put it simply is a clearance shot from the back of 1 side of the court to the back of the other side. if that makes sense haha.. normally hit quit high in the air in an arch sort of shape.

Crosscourt netshot. Standing at one side of the court at the net and simply a quick tap across the court lol Normally need a fair bit of wrist technique to pull this shot off adequately as it has to be kept tight to the net.

Best bet mate is to go to www.youtube.com and type in the three words along side badminton or something. There are plenty of instructional videos out there just gotta have a look. I would link you but here at work i cant access youtube because its blocked.

And in regards to your last paragraph there is a grip section on the forums have a look in there.
    And you need to explain this "wierd shot" a bit better? Is it simply a normal shot where the oponent uses deception? and catches you off gaurd?
    Either way footwork/splitstep and anticipation are the 3 main things which you would need to focus upon.

Do some research hope iv helped.

3. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

No, my cousin isn't very smart, so he wouldn't be deceptive. Well, he hits it, it looks like it's travelling slow, but it's actually very fast.

4. bradmyster

hahaha thats not very nice!!! mmmm still dont really understand. I geauss its one of those things you have to see before you have a good understanding of it.

My best advice is train your footwork. Learn how to splitstep. And as you get better with more experience you will learn to anticipate the shots better and quicker aswell.

Concentrate on these points and your movement around the court will benefit your game alot.

5. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Lol, he's not very smart, but he's very strong. He has very bad aim though. Split Step huh? Sounds like a Prince of Tennis thing.

6. bradmyster

Splitstep is a big part of anticipation. Youtube it or search here on the forums. Makes a huge difference to peoples quickness/reactions to shots and what not.

7. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Hmm. It seems like a pretty helpful thing, thanks. Looks, like I still have a long ways to go.

8. bradmyster

everything takes time mate. There is no such thing as perfection.
    If you make mistakes dont get down on yourself. Simply learn from them and apply the changes to head further in the right direction.

Some people advance quicker than others. Like myself i was fortunate enough to progress from never knowing about the sport to Nationals in 2 and a bit years. Without extensive training aswell. Guys i used to train with have taken 6 or 7 years to get to the same stage.

So give yourself plenty of time and keep confident and positive :)

youl get there if you put your mind to it!!!!!!

9. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Thanks, I will keep trying, I have some people I need to beat.

10. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    this might answer the question for cookies. Different angle, so you can't estimate or know exact speed of the shuttle. Lets just say if a bird right infront of you then yea, you can't really tell, and that tne image of the bird u keep seeing straight right at ur eyes sight makes you think hmmm slow. If that makes sense. Here's an example, you're driving on the free way, can you see the rock fly pass your window? i mean small rocks. And here if same size of the rock flies straight in front of your wind shield at your face. I'll bet with you u can see it.
    Anyway this theory wont help you, it might explain you why you think the shots go slow, but have slow reaction to it.
    Here is the advice, racquet up, always aspect the bird, and side line shots, come to the bird, do not stand still and reach out your racquet.
    hopes that help

11. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

It's not an an angle though, we're both facing the same way, it goes down kinda like an arch.

12. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    i guess all i can say again, racquet up prepare yourself and return the shots. And i do understand you, sometime i get those feelings. But in my case is I return the shots too early. Which mean i swung the racket and then the bird came later. That i guess just bad timing. Nothing I can complain on but just try to time myself.