Increasing the size of a grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by illusionistpro, Apr 22, 2009.

1. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Has any one ever used these tennis heat shrink tubes to increase the size of a grip? Currently I like fairly thin grips. I remove the original factory grip and use 2 overgrips. I want to retry the PU grips but it either ends up too big or too small. Im considering trying this to find a happy medium.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    You can actually get the heatshrink things for badminton handles if you look around. W&D in the UK sell them but I've no idea where you could get them in the US.

Be aware that if you don't like it, those heatshrink things aren't the easiest things in the world to take off (it can be done though).

3. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I just used a heat shrink tube that is used for tennis to increase the size of my handle 1/16 inch. It seems really miniscule but I can definitely tell theres a difference. Im going to be using this build up grip with apacs super pu grip. Before I tried the pu grip alone, and it was too thin. then i tried the pu grip with an over grip underneath and it was way too thick. The 1/16 shrink tube is the thickness of a over grip, but when you apply the overgrip you actually overlap, so you actually build up 1/8. I would usually use 2x overgrip to get the right thickness and this combo of 1/16 shrink tube + pu grip is perfect. Leads me to believe pu grip is about 3/16 thick.