Sprained Ankle- how long does it takes to recover?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Crimz, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Hi I did a jump smash and didnt land properly. Sadly the results was a very bad sprained ankle and I totally couldnt walk the next day. I had to move around with the help of my roller chair. It has been around 3 weeks to 1 month since I sprained my ankle. However it has yet to fully recover. Im kinda puzzled with it cause I find the pain in the ankle when I rotate it until it stretches alot. The ankle is still alittle swollen and my friend said there might be liquid or something like that inside.

How long does an ankle sprain take to fully recover? Im not sure if I should see a doctor or physician cause I think that ankle sprains can be self treated.

2. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    i did sprained my ankles twice already this year...if go to physician will recover soon..if let it recover itself will take longer period...2weeks already i still cant jump or run...

3. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Wow Giant that sounds really bad =(. How did u get that kind of sprained?

4. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    in the court..when im playing badminton...when "reversing" my leg...
    1st time worst...only can play badminton after 2 months plus..aih...how's ur ankle now?

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    a simple sprained ankle should be back to full strength after 3 weeks.
    If it takes any longer than this you have done much more damage then a sprain. more likely muscle/ligiment or tendon damage.

Go to your doctor straight away and get it scanned and checked out.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    firstly, you should see a doctor and ask. typical sprain can be recovered to 90% strength after a month. and then afterwards it will slowly recovers back to 100%. however, in case there are more serious damage, you should see a doctor. the later you see a doctor, the longer it will take to fully recover.

7. Phouma

Phouma Regular Member

Student
    Also might wanna ask your doctor or physiotherapist about some exercises you can do to retrain the muscles around your ankle, cause if you don't that ankle will be more prone to future sprains.

8. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    My ankle can function like normal. I can play badminton matches now but when make really sudden and quick change in direction my injured ankle feels the pain. I still think its a little bruised too but I wonder how did it get bruised?

Anyway the doctor you are refering to is a medical one in the clinic or those chinese physician? Im living in Singapore.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After a sprain, the worst thing you can do, is rush back to the court and play competitive games. Badminton involves high speed and changing direction, which gives a lot of more stress on the ankle, rather than normal walking or jogging.

If you feel pain during the game, you should stop right away. Go to visit the doctor and rest up. I badly injured my ankle a few years ago, it takes me about 2-3 months to get back on court for some easy games. I wear ankle brace for the 1st month or so, and did not get back to my usual self after a total of 4-5 months.

10. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

depends how bad it is. i sprained my ankle 2 years ago and i was back to 'just ok' condition after a month or so. i did see the physio (for ultrasound and the sort) about 3 times a week initially and twice a week for the remaining 2 weeks.

i think the ultrasound will actually help you recover faster.

edit:
    btw, lets hope it doesn't have to happen to any of us ever again. i wouldnt wish this on anyone no matter what.

11. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Dang I never knew an Ankle sprain could be so complicated man. This sure is gonna slow down my progress.

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i hear there are "sensei(s)" in singapore that can help with injuries. also seeing a physio might be a good idea to prevent future injury (strengthening exercises and what not)

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    took me a year or so. Mine was a ligament tear. And i'm not exactly sure if i can consider it FULLY recovered. My left ankle still feels the strain when i stretch it in the direction of the sprain. But at least my ankles are strengthened now.
    Then again, i did not give it adequate rest after i got injured. Don't make the same mistake i did:(

14. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    i worry bad things happen again that why i took longer time to wait it to recover 100% before start play badminton...i did x-ray last time..doctor only ask me to rest at home...

15. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    iv done both my ankles a few times from light to moderate sprains. If u give it adequate rest and good recovery then theres no reason why for a basic sprain you should be back to full strength after 3 -4 weeks.

If it takes longer you have done significantly more damage than just a basic sprain. Believe me. If you give it proper resting time do all the right things and it still feels weak and painful then theres a serious problem.

In all cases if you injure yourself go the the dam doctor the next day or within a few days. Why people think "oh iv injured myself il just rest and it will be fine." its beyond me.....start thinking logically people.