Any places to play in Tai Po?

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by Chu Pa, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Hi fellow BCer's. :) I'm moving to HK for an extended period of time. I'll be living in Tai Po. I want to ask HK based BCer's if there are places to play badminton in Tai Po? I'm more into the recreational type of badminton. Mainly, clubs that people pay a yearly fee or visitor fee. Pretty much the same style as what we have in Canada. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just from memory, there are 4 places that I can think of to play badminton in TaiPo. The biggest place is in TaiPo centre called LFL. It has nine courts. Different groups (I hestitate to call some of them clubs as such) play there at different times.

Mostly social with a system of paying a monthly fee. LFL is run by a private organisation so you have to pay for membership which is a nominal 80HKD per year.

You can pay a visitor fee as well.
    Oh yes, no need to BYO shuttles. Shuttles are usually provided.
    Quite a lot of times, you will see people collecting the old shuttles for training (something hardly seen in some other countries)

No aircon there but that's OK in the winter.

3. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    What ! You're heading to HK????? For how long?? Or premanently? If not for long then..... bring back badminton goodies (for me!) when u come back to toronto! HAhah..

Cheung... u got to be kidding!!?? A club with 9 courts and 80HKD/YEAR?? Shuttles provided!!??? Wow.. Heh.. really good deal...

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sorry, just to clarify

you pay 80HKD for membership of the facility first. (facilities are basic rather than luxurious)

Then different individual groups play there of which you can pay a sessional fee or a monthly fee, the fee depending on the group you join.

5. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Thanks...

Thanks Cheung. Is LFL a community centre or a gymnasium? Is there a information centre at LFL I can get more details? With/without A/C is not a problem. TDot, permanently, but will be back once every few years to visit family. Thanks again. :)

6. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Thanks...

Thanks Cheung. Is LFL a community centre or a gymnasium? Is there a information centre at LFL I can get more details? With/without A/C is not a problem. Have you played there Cheung? If you had, what is the level of play? TDot, permanently, but will be back once every few years to visit family. Thanks again. :)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There are many different groups with different standards playing there. It used to be my regular gym (it's a proper gym) until I moved away from the area. Each group does NOT need to register as an affiliation (I think) so you just have to be a little thick skinned, go up and ask for a knock around.

Of course, it's much easier to have somebody introduce you to the group (the chinese way) but if there isn't somebody around you know, what alternative is there?

Lucky, you come in winter where you won't notice the lack of aircon....

8. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Thick skin....

Thick skinned it is. :) That usually is the only way to merge into badminton clubs or groups. I will analyze the level of play before approaching a new group.

9. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Yeah I couldn't agree more

Asian badminton clubs are quite unfriendly and you have to be thick skinned. The Caucasian run ones tend to be much more welcoming and friendly, especially for beginners. Luckily I'm not that standard, however I always feel sorry for newbies at my, and lots of other clubs.

10. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Pecheur..

Pecheur, I've been to Caucasian and Asian clubs and find similarities from both. Standard rule for both cultural clubs is if your a beginner, please do not play with higher skilled people because your wasting everyone's time. I've seen rude players no matter what type of club it is. Picking a club or recreational facility is trial and error. I've always found that if I am a visitor to a Caucasian club, they always think I am out to beat all of them. I'm not qualified to do that. I just want to experience more from different cultures and their skill level in badminton. Personally, Asian run clubs have a higher level of play from what I'd witnessed. Depending on where you are situated, things are different. This is strictly for Toronto, Canada.