group vs semi private coaching

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xshadow134x, Apr 23, 2009.

1. xshadow134x

xshadow134x Regular Member

which is more beneficial if these are the conditions:

group:
    12 people on 3 courts
    coach can explain really well and show it well

private:
    not as good coach in terms of explaining and corrections

i'm not sure what other details i should include

2. dukke88

dukke88 Regular Member

group you can learn but not as much as private...because the coach spends more time with you 1 on 1 and he can correct what your doing wrong better...while group that coach cant be watching you the whole time. also private training allows you to improve faster than group.. but i'm confused what you wrote bout the group and private.. is that for the place your going or just general?

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    it depends.

If the group has quite a few Strong players then you can set yourself goals of beating those players aswell as learn alot if they have greaters skills and techniques as yourself.
    Also because you are constantly playing them you gain a higher understanding/experience of gameplay.

In turn youl get stronger.

On the other hand if you are #1 in the group and the standard is quite low...you can adopt bad/lazy habits and in turn move no where with your progress as you are never really pressed to your limitations.

Private works both ways aswell. A good coach will give you great progress/motivation because the focus is more centrally on you rather than a generlisation through the group.
    But a coach lacking experience will get you to a certain point. Then you need a stronger higher classed coach to take you to the next level of play.

4. xshadow134x

xshadow134x Regular Member

i was thinking about whether group or semi private coaching was appropriate when i was writing this thread, so what i wrote applies to the two that i was considering.

so basically, the coaching that i shud go for shud either b group training if the people are better than me and private if the coach was lots of experience..?

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    If you really want to benefit and enjoy badminton at the same time i would recomend finding some sort of medium sized squad which has players of a higher skill level than yourself.

Not only will you benefit from the training because its harder and they are stronger than you but you also enjoy badminton more when you make new bonds/friends.

Private coaching more or less is most beneficial when you are already at an elite level and you need pure guidance and hard pushing to get you to the next level.

6. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

To become a better player, the player needs to understand exactly what he is doing, how and why, whether its 1-2-1 or in a group. You mustn't be afraid or shy to ask questions, no matter how basic you think they are.

As a coach I do my best to teach players to be coaches as well. As a coach I need to see the stroke moves in full, something which is difficult to achieve properly when holding an armfull of shuttles and feeding at the same time. 1-2-1 coaching therefore has its drawbacks, but is very good if working on specific items such as new skills, or problem solving.

Ideally speaking a ratio of 1 coach per court is great! Ideally the coach is there to coach, not feed shuttles or to pick them up in between routines/players. Feeding is very important and therefore the coach at times will have to do it depending on what the focus of the drill is.