Feather bird issues for me

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by gamepurpose, Apr 23, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    i'm not good with feather bird. I dont know if it's either because the way i hit it or it is just plain cheap birds?
    because what i heard is if you able to hit the bird in the sweet spot of the racquet your bird will last longer.
    is that true?
    I dont really keep track on how many bird other people at the club play. As in how many birds do they use for each game, but for me sometime i use a lot of them. Well not alot around like 4 or maybe 5, depend if i hit it with the frame. But of course there's sometime 1 bird last for 1 set.
    So post some idea please. Thank you.
    Oh and of course i haven't try one of those tournament birds (cost way too much)
    Here another thing about the stuffs. Sometime usually i get like 6 or 5 good birds in a tube. Other usually just gonna broke off the feather in 1 or 2 smashes.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what brand and model feather shuttle you are using? did you hydrate the shuttle beforehand?

if technique is correct and shuttles are properly hydrated, even mid to low grade shuttle should last at least 1/2 game at the recreational level.

however, if you cannot hit right or the shuttle is too dried from improper storage, then it won't last more than a few rallies.

3. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    isn't if u hydrate the shuttle would fly differently?
    and by hydrate the shuttle you mean kind wet them a lil?
    because i only take out from the tube and hit. And the shuttle i usually play is head the yellow grade one.

4. Script

Script Regular Member

You should steam it.

5. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    for a newcomer to feather shuttles like me I prefer mid-priced shuttles alot more, around £11-12 like the Head AP60 i'm using right now. I can play 1.5-2 matches with each shuttle and they still fly very well for warmups and practice afterwards.

compare to the cheap shuttles they only last half game the most and some only last a few clears or a smash and it starts to wobble already :(

I seldom hit the exact sweetspot