badminton racket sound?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WhiteRice94, Apr 24, 2009.

1. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    ive only had 2 rackets, both strung at 22 pounds. When i see people playing around the court, they always makes this big "pop" sound that i just cant generate. my smash is one of the fastest at my club, but i just can't make that cool sound. my smashes are still fast and strong how come?

2. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

Some racket strings are developed for exaggerating the "Hitting Sound". If my memory serves right, Yonex BG85 has more of the Hitting Sound than Repulsion.
    Also the racket face must be open fully while hitting the shuttlecock.

"I< "
    In the above figure, I is the racket face and < is the shuttle cock.
    For Hitting sound to be at the maximum,
    Shuttle cock must touch the centre (sweetspot) of the racket face at 90 degrees.

where 90 degrees is the angle between the axis of the shuttle cock and the racket face.

3. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

or maybe they put plastic adhesive tape on their racket head particularly on the stringbed...

#3 lorus_blue, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  4. DonnyGan

DonnyGan Regular Member

Logistics
    in my opinion, BG65Ti & BG68Ti have nice sound too. but these are not the best strings around. :D

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
  6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's hitting the sweetspot with no slice and lots of force...if you get that right, then you'll get the sound. Practise with clears to get the sounds, then adopt the same technique for smashes to get the big boom.

7. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

Learning to do the whip will make that sound; Using your wrist to hit the shuttle by swinging the racquet really fast without using too much arm. Hitting it dead on is also a factor. If you use a lot of arm, there wont be much of a pop or there will be but the wrist has more potential at making that sound. Mainly the pop comes from using the wrist and hitting the right spot.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yup these are my favorite 2 strings.

its not only down to equipment though. I remember i used to have really strong strokes and couldn't produce the pop and i used bg65 strung to 26lbs. Then one of the national coaches when i made the squad adjusted my technique slightly and it made all the difference. Not only did i get the sound but my shots were more accurate and a lot sharper and faster.

So it may come down to a slight difference in technique as well.

9. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Different strings make different sounds, but it is easy to recognize the sound of a well hit shuttle. Some strings make "booms", others "pang", "pow". As for if you can't make a good sound but still a powerful shot, that is totally normal, the hit was bad but your hitting strenght totally compensates it, that's all.

10. waveteczeus

waveteczeus Regular Member

It might actually be the racket itself. My friend has a racket that makes a slicing sound during a smash like when a sword cuts something or deflect s something.

11. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Slightly reviving this thread.

Please watch this video of young Kento Momota playing. I can hear two type of sounds here:

1. Shuttle being hit (the familiar sound); and
    2. Racket sound (a whip like sound from the racket not the shuttle being hit).

My question is can you guys actually differentiate between those two sounds?

I'm familiar with the shuttle sound but the racket sounding like that is not. Can this be achieved only by pros?

@Cheung @DarkHiatus @ucantseeme @visor

12. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Are you familiar with the sound of your own voice in a recording?

Microphones pick up audio which sound engineers frequently tweak to sound "good". They may boost the racquet frequencies to make the sport sound more exciting - big powerful sounds with bass are what people like to watch on TV. Even without boosting, our brains naturally tune out some frequencies. This is why crisp bags or traffic can sound really loud on the phone compared to real life for example.

If you've ever spectated a superseries match, the shuttles do not boom from the distance we sit. The microphones are often on the net posts of the court, closer than you'd generally be as a spectator. During a game as a player, it's very unlikely you'll be listening for the racquet sounds.

So the answer from me is i don't think they make a whip sound much more than you do. The sound of the BANG on their smash is probably what you'd be more likely to notice on court with them. If you've ever had a doubles partner swing a racquet close to your head (generally bad communication), you'll certainly notice the whip of the racquet head.

Quentin11 likes this.
  13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Oh I see. No unfortunately i've never spectated a match of this level apart from TV.

It's clear now. This has always always been on my mind lol. XD

DarkHiatus likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just trying to remember. This is the yoyogi no.2 stadium if I recall correctly. It's not that big but you have to sit quite high.

I agree this sound is amplified. I don't notice the whip sound so much when on courtside and I have been courtside with international players on a not infrequent basis.

Quentin11 and DarkHiatus like this.
  15. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Do we know the average racket speed of a regular player (not pro)? Or smash speed?

16. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Quentin11 likes this.