User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Top 5 Badminton Injury to watchout for

Just injured myself a couple days ago, felt a sharp pain in my achilles tendon after lunging for a shot. No more badminton for me!

Thought it would be useful to share the top 5 most common badminton injury to watch out for:
    Come to think of it. My friend had a sprained ankle, put him out of commission for years lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience:

1. Tennis elbow
    2. rotator cuff i.e. shoulder
    3. Knee joint e.g. collateral ligament, ACL, patellar tendon etc
    4. Wrist joint
    5. Ankles e.g. achilles tendon, sprained ankle etc

Currently nursing a right lateral collateral ligament strain... must be age catching up...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after scanning through the article, i think i have a moderate rotator cuff injury. anyone with past experience on this can share anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inflamed tendons through overuse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shin problems have been the worst for me. the lumps and bumps around my shin which really hurt while jumping. i think its called shin splints

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post
    after scanning through the article, i think i have a moderate rotator cuff injury. anyone with past experience on this can share anything?
    Yes

Go and get it checked by a surgeon as soon as you can.

I tore mine in two places and required surgery to fix it, had the surgery nearly 5 years ago and although it still gets a bit sore every now and then there hasn't been (touch wood!) a reoccurrence

Insist on getting it checked properly - I played with the injury for 5 years before I insisted on seeing a surgeon. It ruined my technique and I lost arguably my best playing years as I tore it when I was 21 and didn't get it repaired until I was 26! It was easily diagnosed with a scan (the tears were really easy to see) and it was a pretty straightforward operation - about 45 minutes or so I'm told - I can't remember as I was knocked-out! (keyhole surgery - I've got a 2.5cm scar on the front of my shoulder and a very small scar on the back)
    Last edited by RichF; 04-29-2009 at 05:30 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichF View Post
    Yes

Go and get it checked by a surgeon as soon as you can.

I tore mine in two places and required surgery to fix it, had the surgery nearly 5 years ago and although it still gets a bit sore every now and then there hasn't been (touch wood!) a reoccurrence
    what symptoms did you have?
    i'm not completely sure what i have. sometimes i get a sudden pain in my right shoulder (anterior deltoid region) when doing some shots, usually 'around the head'. my right arm then goes weak. that sensation lasts for a minute or a few.
    its hard for me to describe what i actually feel. its something like a pull. the 'affected' region does not seem to swell, no pain when pressed on too. have no idea if it is muscular.

i am quite sure it is caused by my technique. i'm working to get the right technique. will see how it goes.

and btw, its on and off. there are days when i don't get it at all and sometimes once or twice.
    Last edited by llpjlau; 04-29-2009 at 05:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what symptoms did you have?
    The injury occurred when I was serving in a tennis match - I actually heard a noise!

Pain in the front of my shoulder when playing overheads especially when the shuttle was slightly behind me.

After playing a hard shot like a smash my next overhead often had to be a soft shot like a drop because my arm simply couldn't hit multiple hard shots.

If you have torn one of the tendons then it may be in a different place to mine so you may find that different shots cause you pain.

Before the real injury was diagnosed I went through a lot of physio (it would never have fixed it but nobody knew that at the time) I did learn one excercise that was guaranteed to cause the pain:

1. Put your right hand into the small of your back (i.e. near your coccyx)
    2. Turn your hand so that the palm is facing outwards
    3. Use your left hand to gently push your right hand away from your body i.e. backwards, make sure you keep your right hand level with your coccyx
    4. Be very careful/gentle!
    5. Keep pushing and you will feel some resistance in the front of your shoulder, for me the resistance became pain!
    i'm not completely sure what i have. sometimes i get a sudden pain in my right shoulder (anterior deltoid region) when doing some shots, usually 'around the head'. my right arm then goes weak. that sensation lasts for a minute or a few.
    its hard for me to describe what i actually feel. its something like a pull. the 'affected' region does not seem to swell, no pain when pressed on too. have no idea if it is muscular.

i am quite sure it is caused by my technique. i'm working to get the right technique. will see how it goes.

and btw, its on and off. there are days when i don't get it at all and sometimes once or twice.
    Once I got the referral to an orthopedic surgeon it was very easy to diagnose with an ultrasound scan - I really think you should push for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about a torn ACL and a fracture Tibia?? That's what I got for turning and returning a smash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sh!t i'm only 18 (turning 19 in like a month) i already feel age catching up(recovery times are longer) But i think sprained ankles are not a problem, as my mom would say whenever i sprain anything-->move it and you'll have an odd movement which will put it right again. Well thats what i do when i have a sprained ankle atleast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude, after reading that page i dont think i wana play badminton anymore (unless i have the money to buy some decent health insurance, lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just warm up properly & you should be fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AceSpade View Post
    Yes Agreed, and AGE being the biggest enemy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QFT ......

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good warm-up helps a lot, but I'm afraid there's rather more to it than just that.