User Tag List

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    The crowd were so appreciative of the new ladies singles champion. They recognised we saw a superlative player today and gave her due accolades after the match. All the Chinese supporters were clapping for the lady from the land of smiles.
    Yeah. She is a real peoples champion, compelling background story, child prodigy, amazing talent and really personable and respectful. Hope she gets a massive endorsement deal now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats Rat.
    More to come from her for sure

3. Likes thira, Anatta, limsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A moment of victory
    Name:  1376225202-5560000104-o.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  78.9 KB

5. Likes sophony, thira, Drsarut, Sealman, XoXoXo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew that she was something special after watching her at the All England Open earlier this year. She has all the shots in the book and manages to perform well on the big stage at such a young age. I hope that she can keep performing well for many years to come!

7. Likes thira liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow... a truly rare natural talent with some amazing racket skills. Looking forward to seeing more victories from her.

9. Likes thira, limsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thai teen defeats Li to take women's world title

• AFP News – 15 hours ago

Thai teenager Ratchanok Intanon took the women's singles title at the badminton world championships in Guangzhou Sunday, beating Olympic champion Li Xuerui 22-20, 18-21, 21-14 in a massive upset.

Ratchanok, 18, becomes the first ever Thai player to win gold at the world championships after defeating 22-year-old top seed Li, who was gunning for her first world title.

• The three-game thriller was a battle of technical skill and stamina, with Ratchanok pushing a more experienced Li around the court with a sophisticated repertoire of shots.

Ratchanok came back from 19-12 down in the first game to clinch it by two points, with a grim-faced Li fighting back to take the second.

But the supremely relaxed Thai looked physically and mentally stronger in the final game, holding on to a lead as Li threw everything at her.

At the end of the match Ratchanok dropped to her knees in tears on court before bowing to an applauding stadium.

• A smiling Ratchanok, who still has braces on her teeth, said she would meet Thailand's Queen Sirikit on Monday, which is a national holiday to mark the queen's birthday and Mother's Day.

"I am going to bring my victory to the queen and to my mother and godmother as a gift," Ratchanok said.

"Before this match I didn't have confidence when I was competing against the top players, but after today I will.

"Li was not playing like herself. I felt really relaxed and I think she was nervous. I have played her five times and she has won four, so it was amazing that I beat her today."

• It was a fairytale moment in a career that started when she was five years old and her parents were working in a dessert factory, taking Ratchanok with them each day.

Ratchanok and other children were sent to a badminton academy by the factory owner, who felt it was dangerous for them to be there.

The teenager supports her family through her badminton career.

"Being the champion has been my dream," she said. "At the end of the match all the tough moments from all the years came into my mind and I thought, 'Finally, I got it.'"
      Speaking after the match a deflated Li said she had found it hard to concentrate.

"It wasn't being the top seed that affected my mindset -- I think I was just too eager to win.

"We prepared thoroughly for the match, but it was hard to implement the plan. When I tried to execute my strategies, I would make errors.

"My opponent played very well and seemed very relaxed, which put a lot of pressure on me."
    Last edited by Loh; 08-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.

11. Likes thira, Anatta, Justin L, Penwinack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that most of you that refer to Ratchanok as "Rat" mean no ill-will and use the name endearingly, but in Thailand (like most other places) to call someone a "Rat" is very demeaning and insulting to say the least.

I think she deserves better than being called Rat, and she does speak very good English, so she does know what the word means in English. Her nickname, as many of you know, is May or Nong May (little sister May), I think the World Champion deserves a little more respect than to be called a Rat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes
    her nickname is May

14. Likes gjoo888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, we shall call her May for short. Please don't use the other one with 3 letters.

16. Likes EvenBetter, gjoo888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Ratcha...!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's her present

Name:  IMGL8979.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  112.7 KB

19. Likes thira, Penwinack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Here's her present

Name:  IMGL8979.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  112.7 KB
    Pity no CASH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Pity no CASH!

Even if there was cash, it'll be small change compared to what she can potentially earn now.

22. Likes thira liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ratchanok intanon

Ratchanok, 18, becomes the first ever Thai player to win gold at the world championships after defeating 22-year-old top seed Li, who was gunning for her first world title.

The three-game thriller was a battle of technical skill and stamina, with Ratchanok pushing a more experienced Li around the court with a sophisticated repertoire of shots.

Ratchanok came back from 19-12 down in the first game to clinch it by two points, with a grim-faced Li fighting back to take the second.

But the supremely relaxed Thai looked physically and mentally stronger in the final game, holding on to a lead as Li threw everything at her.

At the end of the match Ratchanok dropped to her knees in tears on court before bowing to an applauding stadium.

A smiling Ratchanok, who still has braces on her teeth, said she would meet Thailand's Queen Sirikit on Monday, which is a national holiday to mark the queen's birthday and Mother's Day.

"I am going to bring my victory to the queen and to my mother and godmother as a gift," Ratchanok said.

"Before this match I didn't have confidence when I was competing against the top players, but after today I will.

"Li was not playing like herself. I felt really relaxed and I think she was nervous. I have played her five times and she has won four, so it was amazing that I beat her today."

It was a fairytale moment in a career that started when she was five years old and her parents were working in a dessert factory, taking Ratchanok with them each day.

Ratchanok and other children were sent to a badminton academy by the factory owner, who felt it was dangerous for them to be there.

The teenager supports her family through her badminton career.

"Being the champion has been my dream," she said. "At the end of the match all the tough moments from all the years came into my mind and I thought, 'Finally, I got it.'"

Speaking after the match a deflated Li said she had found it hard to concentrate.

"It wasn't being the top seed that affected my mindset -- I think I was just too eager to win.

"We prepared thoroughly for the match, but it was hard to implement the plan. When I tried to execute my strategies, I would make errors.

"My opponent played very well and seemed very relaxed, which put a lot of pressure on me."

24. Likes Anatta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1984AllENGLAND View Post
    Even if there was cash, it'll be small change compared to what she can potentially earn now.
    Agree, both tangibles and intangibles.

26. Likes thira liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi guys ....wat do u think about this young ladies....??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I direct your attention to this thread about said player: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ing-star/page9

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast