really good footwork drill tutorial..???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by logicalguy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

2. logicalguy

guess no one is excited about the video as I was...

3. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    I think you did not get any replies because this video was posted on the forums about a year ago, but yes, its a great video.

The only thing that I noticed was that his right food when going to the forehand corner at the net was not «opened» enough.

Nowdays, players seem to have their right foot pointing a bit more torwards the outside of the court when they play forhand net shots, in order to avoid injuries. Just watch their racket foot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ5zO0T9jgk

Other than that, I strongly suggest you read Gollum's badminton bible. It does not have any videos but it is VERY well explained and it should help you alot.

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

5. logicalguy

lol this tutorial makes me feel like a beginner all over again...a bad sign when ur 31 :p

But it is really awesome. Thanks for showing it to me.

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    hmm...i personally think foot pointing towards the shuttle is the better idea:cool:you can push off backwards faster and safer that way.

7. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

The joints need to work in the direction in which they are designed. If the knee and/or ankle is made to bend or take pressure then it will weaken and become injured.

8. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Well, as I was saying, its just a bit more torwards the outside... I'm not saying you should twist your ankle, but the video of professionnals really shows what I mean. Its easy to compare between the video I posted and the first video of the thread: In the first video, the guy's foot is pointing torwards the shuttle, but his foot is not «parallel» with his racket while in the other video, their racket foot is almost parallel to their racket (just watch the singles players).

What my coach told me is that I should not be pointing torwards the shuttle, but more «intercepting» its path, which gives you just the right ange. If you try this method, you will realise that it puts alot less stress on your ankle and knee joint, while still giving you plenty of speed when recovering as this position allows you to use as much strenght as possible when pushing backwards.

The way I explain it may not be clear, but the video really speaks for itself.

Edit: here is a quote from the badminton bible, should be well explained:

«To maintain ankle stability, however, some players choose to turn the foot out very slightly. This is an acceptable compromise, but should be kept to an absolute minimum in order to safeguard your knees.»
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/footwork/movement-elements/lunge-technique.php

I hope it helped

#8 Mathieu, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  9. logicalguy

I think I agree with Mathieu and thebirdie, seems much more natural to point the foot slightly outwards.

Think I need to work on strengthening my legs in order to get my technique right :p

Any good ideas on exercises for the legs???

10. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    heres a good footwork drill for the more advanced players wanting to concentrate on singles.

Player 1 serves and Player 2 hits a straight drop.
    Player 1 returns with a straight net.
    Player 2 proceeds with a crosscourt net.
    Player 1 returns with another straight net.
    Player 2 then hits a straight lift.

The process begins again.
    As you get this drill more fluent you can throw in crosscourt drops.
    Then move onto straight smashes.

It will eventually turn into a fast singles rally but you are forcing the drill over and over practicing these main important shots.

Works well if you have an advanced group who can consistantly rally with the drill.

11. logicalguy

well sadly i have no one to train with so I have to think of ways to practice on my own...

12. Sith

Sith Regular Member