Playing against bigger stronger opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by HenryKelly, Apr 28, 2009.

1. HenryKelly

HenryKelly New Member

Hi i've searched the forum and couldn't any help on this.

I play singles with someone who is taller and stronger than myself - they constantly play a shot which is a big smash right to the back of the court where I struggle to return it with any accuracy. If I smash it back as hard as I can, they belt it back harder - if I dink it over the net they in turn dink it just over the net and, as I'm at the back of the court, struggle to get there.

Can anyone suggest what I could try to stop this?

2. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

who smashes to 'the back of the court'. thats a bad smash, so it must be flat, almost drivable, so drive it back and keep your blocks to the net fast, disallowing ur opponent to play a tight net shot

3. HenryKelly

HenryKelly New Member

ok I think I meant clears. They do a lot of big clears right to the back of the court - any suggestions of returns?

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Sounds to me like you are struggling with footwork. If he clears you right to the back, then there is really no other option than to clear it back right to the back. If you hit a drop from right at the back then you would not be behind the shuttle and thus the speed and angle of your drop would be too slow and let the oppoenent "dink" it over and leave you floundered at the back. When he hits a shorter clear you should be in a position to be able to do a drop and force a weaker shot.

Either that or he is just too strong. Train your footwork to improve spped. If he is bigger he should be slower, so you can beat him through speed.

5. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    You'd generally try to jam a tall opponent, but you don't want to do so shot after shot, mix it up. Make an effort to get behind the bird and hit a smash at him, doesn't have to be super hard or fast, if you hit the right areas (shoulders, hips, face, chest) he should have a difficult time returning the shot. If he's getting ready and staying really low for the shots, then throw some smashes or drops to the sides to throw him off.

This will be hard to control, but you also want to play faster because their recovery time will always be a bit slower, so you want to take birds early and speed up the pace of the game, hitting flat shots and not playing anything too tight to the net or the lines except when clearing to the back or else you'll get smashed on.

6. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    my opinion, (cuz i'm a small, short guy) play agaisnt the big and tall guy, you need to have good footwork, good placing bird (make your shots really accurate).
    I'm not expert, but what I think is in single we do not smash a lot. When you smash, you gotta make sure your opponent gotta lip to the bird, which mean at least he has to move his feet or make a reach, NEVER smash right at your opponent. Unless is like execute shot up on the net (well if you want to play dirty hit your opponent with the bird). Because if you smash at him, one he can return as soon as possible, which mean less time for you to react to his return. Especially for those jump smash.
    So just play smart make him moves, drop clear, and if he's weak at backhand push it to his backhand or clear to his backhand, wait until he makes mistakes then execute it with a smash (not hard but accurate away from him)

7. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

a good body smash aimed near the racket shoulder,chest or face can be an immediate winner

8. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    only if you're smashing at the middle of the court, and your smash need to be fast.

9. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I know it's not really a singles thing to do but drive. Just try to drive a lot and make your drives powerful. If you do it fast enough, you can stand a bit in the back which means, when he clears, because it seems like (from what you said) he clears a lot. You can return the clear and maybe, jump smash if you have the chance. Dropping from the back is also another method if you're ready for the shot. Driving is a winner for me when I'm desperate.

10. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    correct me if i'm wrong, in single, we don't drive a lot. Unless is clearly in the situation that the guy couldn't go back to the center spot. That's when fast shots gonna take place.
    This brought up my attention (sorry if i use the wrong word in the wrong place). I don't think I've seen any SINGLE match that involve in driving shots in single match.
    This statement means using drive more than 50 percent in a rally.

11. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I have never used drives for more than 50 percent of a rally and also believe that you should never do that, but after clearing and dropping and making your opponent run around. Normal fast shots driving would be the easiest way to score (in my opinion).

12. Shuttlevision

Shuttlevision Regular Member

What's a drive?

I'm not familiar with that term.

13. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

14. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

The one big factor about tall people like myself is that you gotta keep them moving around. Tall people uses more energy cause their body mass is just so big. Im a 6'1 badminton player and as for myself, smashing against a tall player is harder than you think it would be. But there is no need to smash cause that just consumes more energy from you when your suppose to conserve energy. Do more clears and drops and move him from all 4 corners. The ONLY time when your smashes should be played is when theres an open space between the tall guy and their court space. But not all tall players get tired real easily. Bao Chunglai for example is probably the tallest men singles player out there and he has a pretty good stamina and court coverage. But since ur at a beginner level, its understandable that you wouldnt understand what to do in singles.