User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default a spot of hard skin on palm?

Hi

Im getting a spot of hard skin on my palm, where the little finger and palm meets.

How can i get rid of it instead of nail filing it?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have this problem, not only in the area you specified, but also on my thumb, and just to the left of centre on my palm. Mine is caused by playing too much tennis. Try using some hand cream/moisturiser, see if that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a callus...it's when your skin becomes rough and thick so it won't be damaged from repeated rubbing. I dont' know why you would want to get rid of it because it helps protect your hand....but if you like having soft palms I guess you can file it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it can get pretty annoying because it comes up like a few mm and it kinda gets in the way of playing lol

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same thing as well on my thumb; it is protective and I dont think you would want to remove it; even if it is removed, unless you stop playing, it will return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    That's a callus...it's when your skin becomes rough and thick so it won't be damaged from repeated rubbing. I dont' know why you would want to get rid of it because it helps protect your hand....but if you like having soft palms I guess you can file it down.
    exactly. Dont file it though..really isnt good for your skin. if you want to soften it up you can either stop playing badminton or moisturise it.

Theres not much you can do its 1 of your bodys natural protection systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some hyperkeratinization on the hand inst bad but if it get really hard, it can hurt.i get that on my heels and toes after playing and if a gentle layer isnt removed, it get so hard that it cracks, especially in dry weather

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds a bit extreme - if it's building up that much then maybe you need a better/different size grip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a little of it too..i leave it there because its hard thing can protect you from tearing the skin apart..it also happens when you drive and grip the steering wheel hard while not using gloves..

i heard that tacky or sticky thin grips can cause this..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really don't like it - then I guess that you have to keep filing it every time it comes back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem too. so much so until it gets torn apart from my palm during aggressive play I normally stick an elastic adhesive bandage on my palm each time before play to protect it. seems to help a lot to reduce the skin irritating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jediwannabe View Post
    I have the same problem too. so much so until it gets torn apart from my palm during aggressive play I normally stick an elastic adhesive bandage on my palm each time before play to protect it. seems to help a lot to reduce the skin irritating
    Hmm have you asked for any professional advice , seems like a lot for just some hard skin.

What about filing the hard skin off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krisss View Post
    Hmm have you asked for any professional advice , seems like a lot for just some hard skin.

What about filing the hard skin off?
    Whops... Excuse my grammar in my previous post. It's skin "irritation" and not irritating.

I wouldn't want to file the hard skin off. It would only cause the soft layer of skin underneath to get ripped apart if i don't protect it with a plaster during play. It really stings when the inner layer of skin is exposed because of that

And no, i have not seek any professional advice. I don't think it's that serious. I guess my skin is just "softer" than others. It is fine as for now. No tearing with the plaster on. At most, just the hardening of the surface of the skin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Filing the skin down will not get rid of your problem. Just moisurise it until the skin softens up and overtime it "may" be reduced.

filing it down means a week later will simply remove the top layer of dead skin. The hard skin of the callus will stil be hard and as it grows more again its going to be even harder than before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh, yea its callus. If you play more aggressive and longer, you will actually notice your playing hand to be more muscular and thicker, even in the palms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly advise against nail filing it. Just a couple days ago I tried to do that and failed miserably. Now I have a 'hole' in the spot and you can even see the inner skin... hurts like hell! It's gonna take days until my body fixes it, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

that's a callus... lol

yeah, i agree with other ppl, DO NOT FILE it! and if your skin is peeling away I think it is because you're filing it. calluses are good and should be left there to protect ur skin. If you feel it is growing a little bit too big i guess u can file a little off, but not the whole thing. Also, I think maybe you should check and loosen up your grip on the racket. Holding ur racket too hard isn't a good thing in the first place.

hope i helped any.

ps.. moisturize it i guess.. but i don't advise having too soft of a hand during gameplay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast