a spot of hard skin on palm?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ice_dragon, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ice_dragon

ice_dragon Regular Member

Student
    Hi

Im getting a spot of hard skin on my palm, where the little finger and palm meets.

How can i get rid of it instead of nail filing it?

Thanks

2. mtr1993

mtr1993 Regular Member

school
    I also have this problem, not only in the area you specified, but also on my thumb, and just to the left of centre on my palm. Mine is caused by playing too much tennis. Try using some hand cream/moisturiser, see if that helps.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    That's a callus...it's when your skin becomes rough and thick so it won't be damaged from repeated rubbing. I dont' know why you would want to get rid of it because it helps protect your hand....but if you like having soft palms I guess you can file it down.

4. ice_dragon

ice_dragon Regular Member

Student
    it can get pretty annoying because it comes up like a few mm and it kinda gets in the way of playing lol

thanks

5. szekt

szekt Regular Member

I have the same thing as well on my thumb; it is protective and I dont think you would want to remove it; even if it is removed, unless you stop playing, it will return.:D

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    exactly. Dont file it though..really isnt good for your skin. if you want to soften it up you can either stop playing badminton or moisturise it.

Theres not much you can do its 1 of your bodys natural protection systems.

7. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

some hyperkeratinization on the hand inst bad but if it get really hard, it can hurt.i get that on my heels and toes after playing and if a gentle layer isnt removed, it get so hard that it cracks, especially in dry weather

8. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Sounds a bit extreme - if it's building up that much then maybe you need a better/different size grip?

9. Adam1172

Adam1172 Regular Member

Student
    i have a little of it too..i leave it there because its hard thing can protect you from tearing the skin apart..it also happens when you drive and grip the steering wheel hard while not using gloves..

i heard that tacky or sticky thin grips can cause this..

10. krisss

krisss Regular Member

If you really don't like it - then I guess that you have to keep filing it every time it comes back.

11. jediwannabe

jediwannabe Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I have the same problem too. so much so until it gets torn apart from my palm during aggressive play :( I normally stick an elastic adhesive bandage on my palm each time before play to protect it. seems to help a lot to reduce the skin irritating :)

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm have you asked for any professional advice , seems like a lot for just some hard skin.

What about filing the hard skin off?

13. jediwannabe

jediwannabe Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Whops... Excuse my grammar in my previous post. It's skin "irritation" and not irritating.

I wouldn't want to file the hard skin off. It would only cause the soft layer of skin underneath to get ripped apart if i don't protect it with a plaster during play. It really stings when the inner layer of skin is exposed because of that :(

And no, i have not seek any professional advice. I don't think it's that serious. I guess my skin is just "softer" than others. It is fine as for now. No tearing with the plaster on. At most, just the hardening of the surface of the skin :)

14. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Filing the skin down will not get rid of your problem. Just moisurise it until the skin softens up and overtime it "may" be reduced.

filing it down means a week later will simply remove the top layer of dead skin. The hard skin of the callus will stil be hard and as it grows more again its going to be even harder than before.

15. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    heh, yea its callus. If you play more aggressive and longer, you will actually notice your playing hand to be more muscular and thicker, even in the palms.

16. chessmani

chessmani Regular Member

I strongly advise against nail filing it. Just a couple days ago I tried to do that and failed miserably. Now I have a 'hole' in the spot and you can even see the inner skin... hurts like hell! It's gonna take days until my body fixes it, for sure.

17. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    that's a callus... lol

yeah, i agree with other ppl, DO NOT FILE it! and if your skin is peeling away I think it is because you're filing it. calluses are good and should be left there to protect ur skin. If you feel it is growing a little bit too big i guess u can file a little off, but not the whole thing. Also, I think maybe you should check and loosen up your grip on the racket. Holding ur racket too hard isn't a good thing in the first place.

hope i helped any.

ps.. moisturize it i guess.. but i don't advise having too soft of a hand during gameplay.

18. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I have this too in the exact same spot. Mines used to get quite sore cause I played 4 - 5 times a week so I had to put a gud band aid on it which worked a treat. Only problem is make sure it is a gud one cause if its not that sticky, it wil fall off during play! :p lol

19. Wilson Shuttler

Wilson Shuttler Regular Member

n/a
    oh, i got a bunch of those, its an adaptation mechanism for your body, it adapts to the friction caused by your racquet and hand. Thats normal, but if it starts peeling that means your gripping your racquet way to hard (it could be the grip too) dont forget, a loose grip gives you a more flexible wrist.

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    If the callus gets huge and hurts constantly without showing signs of getting smaller, then your skin the can be affected with inflammation, which is basically a rash which is caused by too much friction (trauma).

A way to tread it if it gets this way is to see a dermatologist so they could perscribe medications to take care of it.

Even if one does not feel pain on a callus and it seems to not go away or get smaller, its because everytime you swing, the skin is exibiting trauma as for the frction or impact. Wearing a band-aid does help dampen this effect.

#20 Matt, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009