Shoulder and wrist injuries

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kelly, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Kelly

Kelly Guest

I've been noticing aches in my shoulder and wrist joints recently. Especially, I get a clicking noise in my wrist joint on days when I don't play. A friend told me that taking cod liver oil pills can help smooth joints.

Are there any other remedies people use?

Also, I get a sore elbow after a really hard session with a lot of smashing. Does anyone use an elbow support and are there any problems with using one?

Thanks

2. Robbie

Robbie Guest

Kelly hi,
    I've noticed the same symptoms as I am getting older. My advice is as follows:
    Do about 10 minutes or more on warm up consisting a light jog, stretch etc. Keep warm with tracksuits on doing a bit of shadow badminton shots.Build up a good sweat before taking it off.
    I myself also suffered tennis-elbow (from playing badminton!) and was off the game for a year! Eventually a friend of mine suggested to apply enough grip on the racket handle so there is just enough gap to fit a pencil (palm and last 3 fingers).
    This does help because it prevents you to grip hard but unfortunately your smashes will suffer it little bit.
    Carry on drinking lots of water and taking cod liver oil!

Hope this helps..

Robbie

3. Chan

Chan Guest

As for wrist, get a wrist band! They work wonders for me, in fact I feel my smashes much more consistant and stronger. b/c your wrist is more stable and doesn't fatigue as fast. Stretching before games is important, especially if your arms are all sore after games, pay special attention to arm stretches. Furthermore, check the raquet you are using. If it's a head heavy raquet then you use more arm, if it's a light weight (balanced) raquet it's more wrist. If you don't use wrist and use arm on a light weight raquet you will injure your arm. Also good strings/grip/raquet can absorb damaging shock.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    kelly, if u can, have a friend or a good player to get a look or opinion of your swing.

5. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

A few thoughts:

1. Properly stretch your arm before playing. There are many muscles involved and they need to be warmed up. Don't forget your forearm/wrist!
    2. Have you ever considered doing light weights to strengthen your racket arm? That should help.
    3. Shoulder problems originate from using too much arm movement when you smash. You can cause serious damage if you over exert yourself. Consider using more wrist action.
    4. As previously suggested by other posters, make sure you have the proper stroking technique.
    5. If the pain persists, see your doctor or physiotherapist. They will suggest many exercises to strengthen the required muscles.

6. Ron

Ron Guest

How high is the tension on your racket? Too high a tension will cause discomfort for some players, myself included. If the tension is too high, bring it down a couple of notches. As for wrist injury, exercise the wrist whenever you can to strenghten the wrist muscles. Try squeezing a tennis ball, up/down motion, side to side, etc.