Fake Yonex Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Baddie, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

Just need your advices on how to detect fake Yonex Strings. Of course one can use the price is a guide for example there is a shop here selling BG85 at around US$3 and another shop selling at US$9. The packaging looks the same even the colors and type of the fonts. Even the tiny "Yonex" print on the string looks the same. :confused: Appreciate all the help i can get.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bulk retail price (meaning if you buy 10+) for a pack of bg85 is around US$4 in HK.

if not fake, you are either getting a very good deal in one place or getting really ripped off in the other.... :)

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hmm...that's a new one. Wondered if it is even worth while to manufacture counterfeit Yonex strings.

One way is to examine cross sections of both strings under a microscope and do a comparison.

4. twocentsworth

twocentsworth Regular Member

Private employee
    The fake ones look fatter and the finish is smooth. The real ones if you look closely are kind of coarse. The print on the plastic packaging is a bit splotchy. You will notice it when you compare it side by side with the original. Oh, and the fake ones are also coated with oil, making the strings kinda slippery.

Been a victim myself. Hope this helps.

5. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

Thanks guys.... maybe I should try other brands just to make sure I get the real thing... :) Twocentsworth... thanks for your desc. I will look into that when I go back to the pro shop that sells the cheaper BG85.

6. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

that's interesting...

i was wondering...surely the performance of the strings would be lesser than the genuwine strings. But, would it be that big of a difference? Guess it can depend on the material the string were made from, lol:D ...like cheap twine, lol

Anyways, baddie, make sure when u try other brands, make sure those aren't fake as well, heh:D .

7. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

I got a genuine (?) I hope, BG 85 which costs around US$9.4 and a cheaper BG85 (US$3) andcompared the packaging, print and string quality and here are my observations:
    1. the expensive one's packaging is better, clearer plastic, clearer print, no smudges

2. the expensive one's printing color is better and and the red ink color at the back of the package is in a light pinkish hue while the cheaper one is a bit deep red

3. The strings look the same except the "YONEX" print on the expensive one is more distinct i.e. clearer and more readable.

As to the quality of the cheaper string, I cannot tell so I guess I have to string it and try it out :p

Yonexfanatic, you mean there are fakes of the other brands too? I thought they would do fakes of onex only since it is very popular :confused:

8. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

Sorry, I mean Yonex, not "onex" haha :D

9. yonexfanatic

yeah, yonex, it's all good

anyways, yeah, there might not be any fakes of other brands...but you can never be too sure. If they can counterfeit yonex strings, then it's quite possible there are counterfeit yang yang and other non popular ones too.

In canada, yonex sponsorship is very poor here so most top canadians use a brand called Forza. Thinking about that fact, there are some places where yonex STRINGs are not commonly used (rarely) and some other brand is.....imagine if people conterfeit the strings that that "nation/area" is using. Get my idea? Counterfeit is always possible...

That may not have been too clear..but i'm not sure if i can explain it in more detail right now....little time, gotta go

10. FluKeY No0BiE

FluKeY No0BiE Regular Member

Student
    my friend was a victim
    his iso 95 was strung w/ fake green string...results were horrible.

im not sure y it happen'd but ..the string was PULLED into the racquet.
    therefore, destroyed a perfectly good racquet and couldn't be strung again.

like wut the yo sports guy said, "It's finished."
    - wuts his name btw?

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    In this case it isn't the fake or not facke string but rather the vf95 or the way the stringer is pulling the string.

12. yonexfanatic

hey sup?

yeah, that happened to me too...i had a racket and after using it twice, the strings pulled into the racquet as well.

Except i'm going to have to agree with cooler, it's not the strings fault, it's the racket...either it's a defect (in my opinion for my racquet, it was) or yes, like cooler said, the stringer pulled it differently/carelessly.

13. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

His name is..

Yo's Sports owner/operator is Koyo.

14. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

Hi Flukey, thats horrible what happend to his racket. it then pays to get the genuine stuffs... the only trick is on how to detect the real from the fake... But I think Cooler and yonexfanatic are right, could be the stringer's fault or its the racket.

15. pakner

pakner Regular Member

hey baddie actually there are 2 sports shop that sell genuine yonex :planet sports and world karakal the one at white plains katipunan Q.C. where do u play?

16. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

I tend to think that both shops have the genuine item. At $3 you got a good price, and at $9 you got ripped off. Kwun's price from HK is about right, and I can get BG-85 in the US for $7.5. So $9 is definitely too much.

:)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Baddie,

do you have a digicam or scanner? most of us see fake rackets more often than fake strings. it would be interesting to post the comparison here. a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

back to the string. if it is indeed a fake string, i wonder how the economics works out. a racket would cost around $50, and string costs around $3. what is the ratio of number of rackets/strings purchased?

18. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

I do have a digicam and will try to see how to post the pic. Actually the string itself looks soooo similar to the genuine one except what Twocentsworth has mentioned before, the texture of the string. however, the packaging of the genuine one has better and clearer printing.

Pakner, I play in Valle Verde and I know World kalakal in White Plains. They are on sale until Sunday, 25% off on most items. I bought BG80/BG85 strings there yesterday for P277 or US$5.3 each. not bad :)

19. wira

wira Regular Member

strings in Indonesia

Hmmm, even genuine strings in Indonesia are so cheap (less than $3 for
    BG-85) that it's not worth selling fake strings there. But lots of fake
    rackets though. :)